Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Playing keys at church...

ChewisLewis

Perhaps to keep the conversation from crossing the line & getting shut down, we can at least agree that there's no such thing as Christian music per se.... only Christian lyrics. If we accept that & then return to discussing the music (and not lyrical content), then we can return to discussing what is an appropriate playing approach to the specific venue mentioned in the OP (which happens to be a church).

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I started playing in a "worship " scene this past Feb every Sunday morning at a very small Lutheran church. While it's certainly not musically challenging ( white Christian pop/rock stuff ), I find it enjoyable and uplifting on a certain level.

I play LH bass with the Nord and the main vocalist (top notch) / worship leader, who was an ex-studio singer in Nashville, plays electronic drums ( :( ). His wife and few other less pro types join in on vocals.

Actually I dig a handful of the tunes. Some have a James Taylor-ish vibe to them ; very melodic. Being the only musical instrument, I have free reign to add some judicious extensions to the triad world, a tad of reharm here and there, or play with things rhythmically. I always use discretion and taste though, trying to stay true to "the style".

Of course there are many Sundays when I'd rather be out on the trails doing my obligatory Sunday morning runs with various running clubs I'm affiliated with, but basically in these times, it's good to have a steady gig.

In fact many, many guys I know, quite a few being heavy jazz players, seem to be all gainfully and steadily employed by this scene today. :cool:

They are moving to a more permanent facility in the next month, so maybe I'll hit 'em up for a raise.. ;):cool: Although it would be nice to get a bass player to free me up.

Probably church sessions as such are serving the community and probably some of it's taste-makers. Unless there's a supernatural leadership and very cool and good human beings strictly adhering to that, it is likely there's some people who like to sing lead, and most attendants will like to sing too. I think "rock" is a new thing, somewhat perpendicular to normal church, but why not: people might learn something and be entertained isn't it!

T

In my case, it's pretty obvious I'm the only "outsider". But I am always reverent and respectful during their service. In turn I think they are thankful they have someone who adds a lot to their experience, basically shows up every Sunday on time like clockwork, and is no maintenance. I've heard some of these worship scenes can be filled with drama. ;)

They are very cool and good people. No one in all this time has even the least bit gotten in my face about not being more "into it".

Well. I've been working on spicing up my playing at church for years now. I'm still limited by guitar driven songs. I've been playing some strings harmonys with succsess. I love to work in some B3's from time to time. I've played in a number of churches and the sound systems where I've played are pretty bad for the most part. Even So, try to listen and add whats needed to make it work. ~BOB
I'm practicing so that people can maybe go "wow" at an imaginary gig I'll never play. -Nadroj

I'm curious, after reading the posts in this thread, are any of you volunteering in your respective church bands or are all of you paid?

I have been lucky enough to find a group of talented, dependable volunteer musicians/ vocalists at my Lutheran church with which I play many of the type of songs/ artists the OP mentioned. It is something we all like and want to do.

Kurzweil Forte 7, Mojo 61, Yamaha P-125,

Kronos X61, Nautilus 73

I'm curious, after reading the posts in this thread, are any of you volunteering in your respective church bands or are all of you paid?

Volunteer, our church (and most churches I know of here) only "allow" church members to play in order to keep the worship "authentic". If we "hired" someone, while they no doubt would be do a good job, I think it would be very, very odd for most involved, though that's just me. A lot of the people I play with, while fantastic, aren't trained musicians, just volunteers who happen to play.

Playing in a worship setting is completely different to everything else I've ever done. Took me a while to stop treating it as a performance.

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

Nobody at my church is paid but the organist for the traditional service. At my buddy's church where I sit in from time to time, the only one paid is my buddy - who is the director and actually has a title within the church...worship leader or something. Basically he's in charge of all the music. The musicians besides him are all volunteer. Most of the other churches I know of, it's all volunteer from members of the congregation with, at most, the director being paid a small amount.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Yes, this is the very same at my church, the organist is paid and there is a part time paid position for a Music Directior ( although we're in between people for that position right now)

Kurzweil Forte 7, Mojo 61, Yamaha P-125,

Kronos X61, Nautilus 73

Every church would prefer top have an all volunteer / member worship team (other than the Music Director and / or Worship Leader, which is sometimes 1 person, or 2 different people). It's not always practical to have an all volunteer team. Music is one of the most dividing factors in a church (even beyond most theological issues) that can attract people to visit & ultimately join the congregation. A 1000+ member church may not have the talent pool to have an all volunteer team, but can likely afford a modest budget to ensure a quality worship experience.

I'm the Music Director at my church. I pick the songs, write the charts, schedule the team & run the rehearsals. The dividing line to using a pro or if avaialble, a volunteer is whether or not the volunteer is good enough NOT to be a distraction. A church does not do its worship service any favors by having someone amplified thru a PA system that's going to make people cringe with their voice or instrument.

I'm very particular about bringing in subs when I don't have a volunteer. I'm perfectly happy to bring in an atheist / agnostic, because people who don't believe are oftentimes pleasantly surprised and occasionally inspired by the experience. In my book, that's better "witnessing" than trying to shove a Bible down someone's throat. What I have zero tolerance for is a "pro" who shows up late or unprepared. Those folks don't get called back... ever. Fortunately, most pros I know handle any opportunity to be paid for their services with professionalism and respect. FWIW, I typically have a 8-9 piece Praise Team per week, along with a 6 piece Media Team. Of that lot, 2-3 are hired guns & 2 are on staff.

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

The only people that are paid for the music ministry in my church are the Music Minister, and the lead sound technician (paid part time).

I don't have to worry too much about the music being too guitar driven. Both the Music Minister and the lead sound tech are pianists. Counting my set up, there are currently 5 keyboards set up. A Roland RD300, A Roland Fantom X8, a Weber baby grand, and my Yamaha MM8, and the XK-3C bought by the church for my use. The production that we're working on now has 3 keyboardists and NO guitar. (The electric guitar player that was to play got very ill, and was not replaced.) Instead we have Bass, Drums, Flute, Oboe, and Harp. A real Harp, NOT a harmonica.

Everyone has had a hand in the creation of the arrangements.

There are times where I get to play just Hammond on Sunday, because we'll have another pianist that is a lot of fun to play with. His New Orleans Gospel style and my Blues-Rock edged Hammond playing fit well together.

Oh, and Theo...

somewhat perpendicular to normal church

:idk WHAT????? :facepalm:

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

We're actually paid at our church, although we performed for a couple of years without pay. Our church leaders insisted on it..

Martin Smith, from the Christian band Delirious was once asked if he had any reservations about making money in this realm. He replied that the concern shouldn't be about getting money for their performing, but rather the concern should be about what they do with that money once received.

On a side note, one of our praise band members got married a few weeks back and we took the weekend off. However, I also play in a rock band with different musicians. Our church leadership asked my rock band if they would be interested in performing in our praise bands place.

They accepted, learned some worship songs, and a few other things along the way... :)

Worship often requires versatility. For instance, I often accompany a string section, or a small choir, or the pastor just wants keyboard accompaniment for an opening hymn. Then there is the full on band where finding, or creating a part is important.

I use my synths to create pads and atmosphere....B3, piano, and strings are your bread and butter instruments.

Worship centers on the Lord, not on oneself. This is quite a change-up for the typical secular musician making the transition into Worship. Be sure you realize that.

Matt Redman is a very successful Worship leader and author, some of his books make for a good study for the whole Worship team.

+1. Very succinct and wise. If you're looking for material to listen to, Redman is a great place to start. Jesus Culture, Hillsong, and The City Harmonic are others. A lot of what you'll find yourself doing is atmospheric fill - hope you've got Omnisphere! :thu:

ivorycj

Main stuff: Yamaha CP88 | Korg Kronos 2 73 | Kurzweil Forte 7 | 1898 Steinway I

i've played in churches for many years. for the last few years i've played with a small combo and a worship leader. we often ad lib and jamb during the worship time. most congregants get it !! but some don't and wonder what's going on.

but overall it's great to jamb and create new licks and songs

My last time sitting in with my buddy at his church was interesting. He asked if I could play "both" services. My church has 2 services so I didn't think anything of it. Last time I sat in, they didn't have a physical church - they used the Gymnasium of a high school and had to set everything up and tear down every sunday. This time they had a church....except I noticed the sign said a different church. As it turned out, basically this church lets them use their building, and in turn, they play music for the other churches ceremony. I guess that's their "rent". I thought it was a very interesting arrangement. So I sat through 2 very different services with 2 very different sermons, but played the same set of songs for both, lol!

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I must say that we have some pretty hip congregants. One day the praise band was 3 piece...Drums, Guitar, and me playing left hand bass.

One of the congregants came up and asked Pastor Jeff if we were the "ZZ Top of praise bands"

We have the same sermon for both services, but since we don't music at the end of the service, we can leave as soon as we're done with 2nd service. At least I could, until my wife started teaching Sunday School.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

We're actually paid at our church, although we performed for a couple of years without pay. Our church leaders insisted on it.

You are very fortunate. I've never been part of a paid worship band during the last 25+ years. The only paid performer I've worked with is our current worship leader. Unfortunately, he's not always the leader when it comes to selecting music.

Up until a few years ago, I had always performed with worship bands that played contemporary Christian music. At our current church, we have a group of elders that prefer a blended service, so we have to play a couple hymns each Sunday. It wasn't always that way... perhaps when some of the older guys retire from the elder board, we'll have more fun.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

FYI, for those who choose music for worship services, lifewayworship.com is a great source. (No, I do not work for them). Most songs have full arrangements of the top Christian songs out there. Most of their songs have parts for orchestra and or worship band instruments. Most piano parts are full arrangements. Not just a lead sheet. You buy only what you need, kind of cafeteria style. They have mp3s you can download. Also, they have contemporary hymn arrangements that really bring to life some of the hymns. You can search by key, by style, by tempo. (great for putting together medleys). You can even preview the full sheet music before you buy so you can see how it is layed out. I use it all the time and it has been a wonderful resource for me.

Also check out praisecharts.com

they have contemporary hymn arrangements that really bring to life some of the hymns. You can search by key, by style, by tempo. (great for putting together medleys).

Thanks... that's what we need at our church. Our worship leader has done a decent job arranging some hymns, but most others just go on and on and on. Of course every time I suggest dropping a few verses, I get vetoed.

:rolleyes:

Don't worry, I will only clarify a little about my opinions about the , not my major opinions about "other" subjects, that is to make clear why my opinion as stated above indeed decidedly is in disagreement about the Israel Houghton example.

In fact I listened to a few pieces, one completely through, and I think I understand where it comes from, that people in church like as it were to be enchanted by certain types of music, like obviously happens with a sermon as well. Probably, without going into the religious element, there's a comparison with a uplifting business meeting, a rock concert with people digging the presentation, and probably a few other western normalities.

Of course in a church the music on itself often by wise people is supposed to have not only uplifting or soothing but educational value, be it some religious value or life lessons.

It is my opinion the (barely) musical pieces serve such purposes not much, and of course I don't personally find them pleasing, that much is clear. Also, I am quite aware of the type of service (without going into anything religious) and the sort of charismatic etymological backgound the "worship" refers to or tries to be a mimicry of, and I strongly disrecommend the type of practice and mismatches going on in the videos I've seen. That's my opinion.

Of course putting such "music" next to the (rather mundane) sources it is obviously at least influenced by, makes clear it isn't played very well, and also it suggests, and most likely promotes, a rather superficially emotional sh*tty life-form for an audience, that doesn't appeal to me. Seriously would you buy such music if it were in the stores without some sort of religious or organizational value ? I sure as hell wouldn't.

Also it seriously worries me if mature, somewhat well known music persons who even write books don't acknowledge the blues as an important inspiration for a lot of modern music. Denying that to be so for the artist I quoted some public works of cannot be seen by me as serious, unless it is of some sort of intent that denies the way most modern musicians have learned their craft.

T

they have contemporary hymn arrangements that really bring to life some of the hymns. You can search by key, by style, by tempo. (great for putting together medleys).

Thanks... that's what we need at our church. Our worship leader has done a decent job arranging some hymns, but most others just go on and on and on. Of course every time I suggest dropping a few verses, I get vetoed.

:rolleyes:

Yup, thanks, that's good info I'll pass along.

I have played keys at church multiple times. I am given audio and sheets of chords for the songs, and want to know how to spice it up, so I'm not just literally playing the chords. Any help?

Getting back to the original question, I do it through orchestration. Although I'm not the praise leader I'm the de facto arranger, and I'm given pretty much carte blanche to do whatever I want on the keyboards. I love putting pads together here at home (both large and small) and freely mix them with pianos during the service. It keeps things interesting for both me and the congregation.

There's always an obligatory hymn, and I stick it first. Three verses max. It's my call and they let me get away with it.

There's always an obligatory hymn, and I stick it first. Three verses max. It's my call and they let me get away with it.

Ah, just three verses versus all seven. How fortunate for you. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Sort of off topic here, yet may be of interest to those who play keys in church or those who write songs for church. This is an interview with the Hillsong creative team on how they work up songs and how they communicate with each other on stage. There may be some good ideas you can transfer to your church music team.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2scaKw8QDpU

Archived