Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Playing keys at church...

ChewisLewis

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What style? Gospel? CCM? Just like any other music - listen listen listen.

+1. Use that audio you're given to find your part in the song. If there's a specific signature part for you, transcribe it and burn it into your brain. YouTube videos of a live recording can be useful, too.

www.wjwcreative.com

www.linkedin.com/in/wjwilcox

If there aren't actual keys in the track, it all depends what the worship leader wants. It is also very dependant on the band you have: Just use your ear - if there's an acoustic guitar player hammering out straight chords for example, instead of doing the same, "tinkle" away on a higher octave with broken chords and little lines to create texture.

Watch live videos on youtube and see what players there do. Most contemporary worship music by the artists you linked have very basic keyboard parts (unfortunately) but that doesn't mean you can't enjoy it. A lot of the time less is more, and it CAN be very satisfying playing simple parts that slot in with the rest of the band, letting you enjoy the overall sound.

Our bands change a lot, which is why I like playing at my church. Sometimes it will just be myself and a singer, other times I'll be in an 8 piece with multiple guitars and vocalists. Tonight though, for example, we had 2 vocalists, an acoustic guitarist, a bassist, drummer and myself. We played around 10 songs and I played a mixture of block chords to keep rhythm where needed, tinkles and electric guitar riffs on an EP/synth based sound, and broken chord accompaniments spanning several octaves. Some songs saw me simply pedalling a pad all the way through; sometimes I played a pad but changed chords with the guitar, etc...

If you have a big band, you just have to find what your role will be. In terms of spicing it up when you're just required to play chords; Change your voicings, letting the top note emphasise the vocal parts, and change which octave you play on as the song develops. Since we have a wide range of notes, we can really be the driving force in a song. If there isn't too much going on, come up with small riffs or improvised lines to throw in between vocal parts. I enjoy playing church the most because there is so much room to be creative and experiment in ways that other bands might not let you.

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

Watch live videos on youtube and see what players there do.

This.

I only sit in occasionally for a buddy. I actually go to the traditional service at my church (Our organist is very talented and I'd rather listen to him play traditional hymns than a bunch of hacks playing music I really don't like...ask me how I REALLY feel, lol). So when I sit in with my buddy's church, I'm not at all familiar with any of the songs (they are the ones you mentioned). He sends charts and MP3's. Since I'm used to picking parts out of mp3's for all the cover bands I've been in, this is the easiest way to do it for me. And in fact, usually the problem is that there are more parts than one guy can cover so I have to pick something (piano/organ/strings). However, some of the live performances give a good clue as to how THEY do it live and make it easier to pick a part.

That said, it seems like it's almost always piano/strings or organ, with the occasional little arppegiated synth pattern or EP. Most of the time when it's 2 parts that are hard to both pull off, it seems to be piano/organ. In those cases, a lot of times there's a piano intro. So I'll learn the piano intro then switch to organ when the song gets going. A good piano/pad layer goes a long ways.

I much prefer when he asks me to sit in on bass. Listen to each song once or twice and I'm pretty much ready to go - no question what to play!

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

We have a circle of players that play on Sunday, as well as a group that will normally play on Saturday. It can vary widely as to the skill level.

We do a lot of the comtemparary artists...Hillsongs, Paul Baloche, Chris Tomlin, Israel Houghton, etc. I approach it the same as any gig. Capture the flavor of the song. Grab the signatures.

It's OK to change up the songs a bit. But remember, the Musical Minister is the guy with the final say. Like was said earlier, if he has you coming back, then he must like what he hears.

Just today we had a brother/sister combination that had never played together. The sister picked up bass recently because she heard that we needed additional bass players, and has put in the effort to get pretty good. Her brother makes his living playing bass on cruise ships. She played bass, he played guitar. It was rather good. Their dad usually plays guitar, but he's been out with a serious medical condition, and is at home healing.

Next 2 weeks are very busy for music. We are working on an original musical drama written by the music minister and the senior pastor based on the life of King David. We have rehearsals Wednesday & Thursday, and I have gigs on Friday and Saturday. Then the following week we have dress rehearsal Monday, then performances on Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday, and I have a gig on Saturday.

Nice to be busy.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

I have played keys at church multiple times. I am given audio and sheets of chords for the songs, and want to know how to spice it up, so I'm not just literally playing the chords. Any help?

I sense from this and several of your other recent posts that you are either new to keyboards or new to playing electronic keyboards in a contemporary music setting. No problem. You're worried about "just literally playing the chords," but a lot of the music you've suggested is pretty guitar-centric and, as has already been said, the keyboard part is in fact just "playing the chords," using a synth pad or organ setting to fatten up the overall sound.

If you are pretty new to contemporary music playing in general, I'd recommend getting together with one of the guitar players (who are also often just "playing the chords") and run through songs with just the two of you. It will give you a chance to experiment with sound options on your keyboard (did I read somewhere you've picked up one of the red ones?) and chord voicings that will help you vary the texture that you're building in the song.

Larry.

Make sure you find an open space to fit in. Playing around middle C usually is not the spot be cause that will be filled by the guitars. Go up an octave unless you are playing a specific lead line or part.

On any given Sunday I might employ Piano, E Piano, Organ, strings and pads. There is always something to add, but don't overplay. LISTEN and add flavor judiciously.

Pete

"all generalizations are false" ~Mark Twain

Kurzweil K2000, ME-1 and (2)PC3, Casio PX-350 AND PX-360, EV sXa 360

Wow...can't believe the negative replies.

I'm not really into it, and don't really like the style of music, but I've found plenty to play, and plenty of keys in the mp3's I've heard. Maybe the musical director (who is a high school friend and past band mate) just loads the keyboard heavy stuff up when I play. But either way....plenty of room for keys...and lots of them. I don't know what else to say.

The fact that it's contemporary Christian doesn't make it unique. It's music. It's similar to other genres (that I admittedly don't like). Listen to Country, Adult Contemporary, and other stuff. It's all the same, plenty of room for keys...though mostly boring.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I am a little short of fervent supporter of the good (protestant music kind) hymns being performed on a good (nice, interesting, thundering, well balanced, or what have we) organ, wonderful and educational, not too intruding and special yet constraint.

I am not a great fan of te "modern" (think "new") christian music. I easily remember the album "Age to Age" (Amy Grant), classics like Ernie Ford and the early "new" music types (I somewhat like Graham Kendrick), and measure the next and the next wave of Boring Snowballery in the musical genres at hand and must say I am not impressed at all, except maybe for the degree of musical degeneracy and apostasy. Sorry, I couldn't resist speaking my mind. Of course I'm sure there are some nice musical gems here and there, and musical "worship" leaders at times and at places who equal or even surpass a decent high school music teacher. But indeed I think that is very necessary to prevent people starting to think about "normal" church singing as a freaky activity of a bunch of self-willed kludges who don't deserve the name of musician..

T

There is a new wave of praise/worship music going on out there in contemporary churches that I find very compelling as do several casual and occasional visitors to church..at least to our church, anyway..

Check out bands (they actually more like mini orchestras) like Jesus Culture, the Passion movement to name a few.

More to the point (or maybe off the point?) the purpose of a praise/worship band of which Chewis seems to be playing with, is to LEAD those in attendance to worship, that is to be moved by the music, (I think we as musicians, know how that works), and enter a place where they feel free to express themselves through their voice or thoughts, and forget about all their other thoughts and distractions.

This can be done with very simple music (Check out David Crowders How He Loves -

) or the larger bands like I spoke of earlier.

The point is, the praises band job is to take the people there using the skill set they have and the guidance theyre given.

I would offer this bit of advice, if you are a committed Christian, praying about your role in the band, and prayer before every performance, will certainly help. Our band usually practices a few hours before we play, and weve had a few practices that werent very promising. We always pray before the church starts and Ive got to believe weve had help in our performances..

Artists like Hillsong, Chris Tomlin, Seth Condrey, ect. That type of christian music.

Done a lot of this in the past. Some tips ...

1) There's always room for a b3 in the chorus pitched in the second octave above middle C, just behind the background vocal stack. Usually a monophonic, sometimes a duophonic line. Listen for it.

2) Remember the singers have the primary melody, and one other instrument provides counterpoint, (commentary) between the vocal phrases to join everything together. Take turns with the lead guitarist or other keyboardist.

3) Fast paced tunes often have room for stabs and other accompanying parts. Listen for horns, strings etc. You can do stabs with a b3 glissando for example.

4) Many P&W tunes are anchored by a single accompanying instrument in the opening verse and sometimes on the second verse. Why not a keyboard (piano, electric piano) on occasion?

5) Paul Baloche has a set of worship band DVDs. Check them out with your team and have a conversation after you view them.

I approach it the same as any gig. Capture the flavor of the song. Grab the signatures.

Amen.

Gotta remember that, unlike hearing a cover band in a bar, people aren't going to be disappointed if they don't hear a verbatim duplication of a song. The flip side is, unless you're playing with a very seasoned set of players, it will likely sound like complete mush if the entire praise team is simply reading a chord chart & have never actually listened to the recording to get the big picture of the song. Chris Tomlin's music is some of the easiest music out, some of the most covered music out, and yet it is some of the most butchered music, because people miss the big picture.

I sometimes use keys to take the role of a guitar part if we only have one guitarist that week. I won't imitate a guitar with a guitar patch, I'll simply take the role. I usually have a pad ready to swell in with a volume pedal, with a knob ever ready to control cutoff, depending on how much I need to be able to cut. Can't go wrong with a B-3 when you need to add "size" to a song.

.... and for you ney sayers that like to bash on Christian music- go transcribe an Israel Houghton tune or two. When your ego is firmly shoved back where it belongs, report back. :laugh:

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

Well, I took 10 minutes of my daytime to listen to this minimal interpretation of "music" (these two tunes: [video:youtube]

and [video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OM8eVnrf8OQ&list=TLou2RrxikjHg ) and have to conclude that I think these chaps aren't very hindered by normal musical education of say conservatory level or so. Also, me it irritates without measure that they are trying to take parts of (extremely obvious) Blues-licks, and turn them into a stretched out jodeling that doesn't interest me, no matter whether it would be to ask for money for third world hunger or to get to know their wonderful person or who knows what else. Finally, those "figures" are completely run-of-the-mill Gospel (the "normal" well known style from long ago) with a lot of rhythmic and harmonic limitations and even some distinct style errors, that really aren't transcribe-able because so much asyncopaticism defies normal description. Put on a BB King and a
traditional "Gospel" music-style song, and try not to promote sickening/senseless and rather untigh-played derivatist noodling as to define a new music style is my suggestion.

and for you ney sayers that like to bash on Christian music- go transcribe an Israel Houghton tune or two. When your ego is firmly shoved back where it belongs, report back.

Check out "Your Love is Beautiful"

The chord progression is the chorus section is very cool. This song lends itself to B3 extremely well.

Abmaj7 / G+ / Cm9 / F13 / Fm7 / G+

When we play it we have a section where we put in a guitar solo, a drum solo, and a B3 solo. Really gets the worshippers pumping. Our pastor will come up and jump up and lead the ending.

Much of the modern worship songs can be a lot of fun to play.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Make sure you find an open space to fit in. Playing around middle C usually is not the spot be cause that will be filled by the guitars. Go up an octave unless you are playing a specific lead line or part.

On any given Sunday I might employ Piano, E Piano, Organ, strings and pads. There is always something to add, but don't overplay. LISTEN and add flavor judiciously.

This. ^^^

I wish I had received the above advice when I joined a praise band back in the 80's. The group was very much guitar-driven and I wasn't sure where and what to play--so I was playing almost all the time. I bet it sounded awful.

Now I apply the "less is more" principal. :thu:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

What Tusker said +100.

Our band does a lot of this type music. For the past 7 years, Easter and Christmas cantatas have all been Travis Cottrell music.

We do have several committed people that are there most all the time, plus a number of others that are occasional (school, work, various reasons). I try to fit myself into each song as a complement, playing in a frequency range and timbre that lets me be heard without stepping on others.

A couple of Sundays ago, we wound up with FOUR guitars (3 rhythm and one lead) - one usually does bass guitar, but did rhythm acoustic that day - so I held down the bass part, used some Hammond, synth, and orchestrals that fitted. (I also used to play clarinet, flute, and sax - so I know how they should sound).

I do agree, a lot of the music is heavily guitar driven in the original recordings. Our MD usually sends out the play list several days ahead, I try to listen to the originals from You Tube if I am not familiar with the song - to give me ideas on where I can fit and help.

And - from time to time there is a song where guitar is all that is needed and desired. Makes a nice time to just stop playing, and enjoy.

As several others in this thread have said, with the right attitude (Worship band) - blending becomes easier.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Well, I took 10 minutes of my daytime to listen to this minimal interpretation of "music" (these two tunes: [video:youtube]
and [video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OM8eVnrf8OQ&list=TLou2RrxikjHg ) and have to conclude that I think these chaps aren't very hindered by normal musical education of say conservatory level or so. Also, me it irritates without measure that they are trying to take parts of (extremely obvious) Blues-licks, and turn them into a stretched out jodeling that doesn't interest me, no matter whether it would be to ask for money for third world hunger or to get to know their wonderful person or who knows what else. Finally, those "figures" are completely run-of-the-mill Gospel (the "normal" well known style from long ago) with a lot of rhythmic and harmonic limitations and even some distinct style errors, that really aren't transcribe-able because so much asyncopaticism defies normal description. Put on a BB King and a
traditional "Gospel" music-style song, and try not to promote sickening/senseless and rather untigh-played derivatist noodling as to define a new music style is my suggestion.

I hadn't heard that piece, but I quite enjoyed it. Your analytic dismissal of that reminds me of a conversation I once had with Dave Horne. He simply could not allow himself to enjoy a piece of music that was diatonic. It couldn't be good, moving, or cause any kind of emotional response in him other than that of being annoyed at having to endure listening. As with Mr. Horne, we'll have to agree to disagree about what qualifies as good music.

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

Praise and worship is not music intended for analytical essays. It should not be too complicated. It is emotional music intended for one's connection to a higher power (just my opinion and not intended to be a religious comment in violation of forum rules.). My old praise band MD used to say, "We got 8 musicians next Sunday; you only have to play an eighth as much."

My favorite site presently is the gospel mall, Jamal Hartwell's site:

Jamal Hartwell

This can't help but help :)

"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

Worship often requires versatility. For instance, I often accompany a string section, or a small choir, or the pastor just wants keyboard accompaniment for an opening hymn. Then there is the full on band where finding, or creating a part is important.

I use my synths to create pads and atmosphere....B3, piano, and strings are your bread and butter instruments.

Worship centers on the Lord, not on oneself. This is quite a change-up for the typical secular musician making the transition into Worship. Be sure you realize that.

Matt Redman is a very successful Worship leader and author, some of his books make for a good study for the whole Worship team.

I very shortly played a real old church organ (in Amsterdam), that was a great experience, because somehow magically, the sound worked, possibly because it hadn't been called down to the "new" order to learn how to suck, or maybe it was just originally a golden organ design, but it was great fun. (I played the piano for hours, also fun). I think the "wo(/a)rship" discussion would very quickly escape the musical arena and enter a no-go zone, so I won't even comment at all. Musically I think the Blues Brothers said it pretty well, even though i didn't get that when the Films came out at first.

T

Archived