Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

do you think this forum has gone sideways?

I don't know what it is .. all the OT stuff? prehaps, maybe not. I used to check this forum first thing when I could get on the net, and post lots, both new stuff, and replys to others, but lately I have gone over the PSW and harmony-central.

I just don't seem to find what I am looking for here anymore.

anyone else find the same thing?

how do we breath life back in to this forum, and make it what is once was. or should we?

Kevin Nemrava

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In one of those OFF TOPIC threads you were asking for some advise about your job decision.

Hopefully it worked for you and those threads have worked for many of us.

How can you help?

Start music related threads!

:wave:

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

I agree with Gus.

No matter what gets discussed around here, and no matter how hostile and deprived some debates get, people keep coming back and this forum is active 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. And that includes some very knowledgable people whose opinions on music and musical equipment I value very highly. Like Craig said recently, this is the OT forum on musicplayer.com. No forum is for everybody, that's for sure. But, this one is definitely filling a need. Perhaps it's theme could be stated as being "for conversations between musicians on any topic that interests them, whether music related or not." I think this forum has been pretty successful at that theme.

I noticed that I visit SSS more and more rarely.

Usually I'd come here, take a look on all those off topic titles, and would go somewhere else. Though this topic happened to catch my interest somehow...

Personally I want to read something... well, interesting AND useful (guess I want too much hehe) not those endless inside jokes, political abstractions, "who has the bigger p...ost count" and various other nonsense stuff (a'la "hey Bjork fans!" :D ).

I am back.

"Ask not what your forum can do for you, but what you can do for your forum"

Or something like that.

Actually, I thought things have gotten better here recently. Generally the Poly-threads start getting too bug and numerous, and then Craig -the angel of extermination- goes through and kills a bunch of the them, and then people start talking more about music for awhile.

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

Big K,

Seems to me that several folks were very actively involved in the Fantasy League project in which you recruited Flyscots to become a partner with you in team management. You got the ball rolling with the draft picks and then basically disappeared; maybe a peek a time or two, but that has been it as far as I can tell. John has done a superior job at picking up the weight of the team and following through with his commitment, although he was concerned about being mobile and without access to gear, he still delivered. He had expressed his mobility as a concern in becoming a partner/manager; that is why he opted to become a partner/manager rather than a singular manager.

I think that for you to come onto an Off Topic Open Mic forum and whine about how it has gone downhill is a bit petty. Maybe if folks would follow through, albeit late, with what they start; they would be busy with other things and not notice what everyone else is doing.

Are you aware of your co-teams progress??? Do you even know its' name???

Originally posted by big K:

I don't know what it is .. all th eOT stuff prehaps, .. but I did check this forum first thing when I could get on the net, but lately I have gone over the PSW and harmony-central.

anyone else find the same thing?

how do we breath life back in to this forum, and make it what is once was.

Kevin Nemrava

If you've been on these forums since mid 2000 - then surely things will look different.

What is it that you'd like to have (back)?

Beleive it or not, this is the designated (Musicplayer.com) location to come and take a dump. SSS is the extreme outpost of the Musicplayer.com forums. According to Craig, it was always his intent to have far ranging (but civil) discussions on all things that matter to us.

How do you plan to make a positive contribution? Or one in the direction that you are looking?

NYC Drew

Originally posted by TinderArts:

Ask Tedster if this forum has gone downhill.

I think this is the best community on the net. Even for music related stuff.

Happy New Year. :D

Are you implying that I'm an old timer, sonny? Whippersnappers these days...

Hey, this forum has a dynamic of its own (which is shared by many people). It ebbs and flows like the tide...on topics and off topics...and actually here, there are no off topics. Well, mostly.

Since the "Sloppyjoe.com" forum has been commandeered by those who spent too much of their youth doing drugs and watching Monty Python reruns (twiddles thumbs, whistles, looks at the ceiling :D ), the silly posts have diminished here. People complain about the political threads, and yet those are the threads that get up to 5 pages long in an hour! Then someone comes on asking a tech question, and maybe 2 or 3 replies. But, hopefully, those 2 or 3 replies are helpful.

Our esteemed moderator has said it best...this is a cocktail party, where everyone has basically the same primary interest, music, but myriad other issues...and they feel free to discuss them here. And, that's a good thing.

And, God forbid anyone should find themselves in one of life's tough situations, but, if you do, this is the place to come for support, for a group hug, whatever. tHe pEOplE HeRE RuLE!!!

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Somebody brought this up on the bass forum

this is a good thing.It's great when people

communicate no matter what shit you talk about

we can learn a lot from one another. :thu:

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

Originally posted by big K:

I don't know what it is .. all th eOT stuff prehaps, .. but I did check this forum first thing when I could get on the net, but lately I have gone over the PSW and harmony-central.

Kevin Nemrava

Nah! we changed the format to fit the needs of the audience

:thu:

Jesus Is Coming, Make Music, Get Ready!

Originally posted by Is There Gas in the Car?:

Originally posted by Tedster:

Since the "ScoobyDoo.com" forum has been commandeered by those who spent too much of their youth doing drugs and watching Monty Python reruns (twiddles thumbs, whistles, looks at the ceiling :D ), the silly posts have diminished here.

...EASY TEDSTER!! :mad::rolleyes:

:D

Is There Gas In The Car? :cool:

Why do you think I was twiddling my thumbs and whistling? I are one of those folks... :D
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

*twiddles thumbs and whistles*

:D

**Standard Disclaimer** Ya gotta watch da Ouizel, as he often posts complete and utter BS. In this case however, He just might be right. Eagles may soar, but Ouizels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Originally posted by TheWewus:

This forum sucks. I hate it. Hate the political topics, and the insider jokes, and even the music related topics, hate it, hate it, hate it! ...........hate it! I'll be back.

Aaahhh, TheWewus' seal of approval. No way THIS forum is going downhill.

:)

Michael Oster

F7 Sound and Vision

ReGurgiTron - an equal opportunity destroyer!

There have been some great lines in this thread alone!

Wisdom: "How can you help? Start music related threads!"

Humanity: "Ask Tedster if this forum has gone downhill."

Literacy: "Craig -the angel of extermination"

Rebuke: "You got the ball rolling with the draft picks and then basically disappeared; maybe a peek a time or two, but that has been it as far as I can tell."

Reportage: "SSS is the extreme outpost of the Musicplayer.com forums"

Wisdom Pt. 2: "The forums are what you make it."

I've used the cocktail party analogy a lot, and most people seem to get it. Like a regular cocktail party, if someone's talking about something that doesn't interest you, then find someone else. But to me, this is also Peformance Art at the highest level.

Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe:

Originally posted by pseudonym:

No, it has gone down the Marianas Trench :freak:

Ahhh... but it has not imploded - which speaks well of the fundemental structural strength and stability of the forums, the moderator and the members.

And, like the Marianas Trench, it may be a deep, dark hole, but there is life down here. ;):thu:

And though we are diminished by virtually every member who walks away, if it really doesn't meet your needs, go to another cocktail party that does. (This is not a rude instruction, but a reminder that no one place suits everyone. Follow your heart.)

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by Anderton:

There have been some great lines in this thread alone!

Wisdom: "How can you help? Start music related threads!"

Humanity: "Ask Tedster if this forum has gone downhill."

Literacy: "Craig -the angel of extermination"

Rebuke: "You got the ball rolling with the draft picks and then basically disappeared; maybe a peek a time or two, but that has been it as far as I can tell."

Reportage: "SSS is the extreme outpost of the Musicplayer.com forums"

Wisdom Pt. 2: "The forums are what you make it."

Humor: "Where the hell's that pina colada you said you were fetching for me Craig?!!"

Valky

Valkyrie Sound:

http://www.vsoundinc.com

Now at TSUTAYA USA:

http://www.tsutayausa.com

Originally posted by Valkyrie Sound:

Humor: "Where the hell's that pina colada you said you were fetching for me Craig?!!"

Valky

Leave it to Val to show up out of nowhere just to prove this place still rocks because of the cameraderie expressed by those who enjoy contributing here, and have done so for years... :thu:

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Hey Kevin :wave:

I was shocked when I noteced your Member Number is... 297 !! You've been really for a long with us!! So I hear you, bro...

However, You've also contributed to the Off Topic thing...

1) Voting for MidPoint

2) Happy Canada Day

3) .. and how to forget when you said "I would like to say that I really think you are all very great people, and over the last 5(?) years I have really grown alot because of this board." ?

Of course, you've participated and created several ON TOPIC threads in a very valuable way, just like the rest of us.

Just chill out and adapt to the new groove. We appreciate you as a part of the MusicPlayer Forums.

:wave:

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

Let's see, what's happened here "recently":

* A bunch of us (myself included :thu: ) mixed a song and got their bios and mixes in one of Craig's books.

* A bunch of us got to collaborate with each other (well, it started here on SSS anyway) which probably wouldn't have happened otherwise.

* A handful of you got to share your wisdom on using laptops for audio and were included in the currrent issue of EQ.

* So many prayers, thoughts, well wishes and solid advice have been given here to members in time of need.

Sure there were a bunch of stuff too that I could've done without, but the gems like the examples above are well worth the effort of being involved in this forum. Nothing is free and the cost here is rummaging through the conversations to find what interests you. Of course, one person's garbage is another person's treasure.

And Kev, as a member of Double Post, I hold nothing but good vibes towards you. The collaboration project was voluntary and issues do arise. No ill will towards ya, man. :)

aka riffing

Double Post music: Strip Down

http://rimspeed.com

http://loadedtheband.com

Archived