Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

VR-09 Hints and Tips

Thanks, Craig. Yes, that sounds very usable for me. From what I can gather from here, I can set up a split with ch.1 off the 09's range, ch.2 as the organ,pan the organ out to one side to a vent, Pan the other opposite. I'm not quite clear if the exp.pedal will work just the organ, or (ch.1) sounds, or both? Again, tanks.

Professional musician = great source of poverty.

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dan, There are a couple things you need to know!!!

First you cannot pan instruments right/left, there is no pan control, so your idea of sending organ left (and sending it to the ventilator) and sending piano or some other instrument out the right output, that is NOT going to work.

Also, IF you layer two sounds both sounds and one of them is organ, both will go through the leslie sim. The solution is to always use splits, with the organ on top, and whatever is on the bottom is unaffected by the leslie sim.. however it also will have no effects (other than reverb). when using a second keyboard (like an 88 note controller) you use it as a split and the VR-09 will perform nicely with a split (organ on top on the full 61 keys and drawbar control) and the piano controller on the bottom (with all 88 keys responding as a piano).. but there will be no effects on the piano except for reverb which is common to both upper and lower parts. all the live effects only affect the upper part. Hope I've explained this correctly.

YES the expression pedal can now be set to only control the organ.. (that was part of the recent OS update).

So there are some quirks about the VR-09 that you need to take into consideration before you buy it!!

Craig MacDonald

Hammond BV, Franken-B (A100 in a BV cabinet), Leslies 122/147/44W, Crumar Mojo, HX3 module, Korg Kronos, VR-09, Roland GAIA, Burn, Ventilator

Hmmmmm-I see. Seems like the only bad part of my plan is the lack of discreet outputs(panning). That would mean bypassing the vent, when needed, or use the 09's Leslie.

Still sounds very useable for me - thanks for your time!

Dan

Dan, the VR-09 leslie sim is really very good.. (surprisingly good, and much improved from the previous VK engine).. I like Type 2 which is very warm and rich sounding, like the ventilator.

I played the VR-09 all by itself, for the fist time a couple of weeks ago, and I was using it for pianos and organs and everything in between.. (as well as using splits with organ on top and acoustic/electric pianos on the botton) and it worked great for me.. the organ sounds surprisingly good..

If you try VR-09 in a store, the organ the default organ isn't that good, find the "Bay area B3" preset (I think that's what it's called) and that's a good place to start.! This gives you a better idea how the organ can sound.. that's the preset I used as a starting point to create my own organ sound.

Craig MacDonald

Hammond BV, Franken-B (A100 in a BV cabinet), Leslies 122/147/44W, Crumar Mojo, HX3 module, Korg Kronos, VR-09, Roland GAIA, Burn, Ventilator

Also, if you run the iPad app, you have instant access to all the organ parameters from the touchscreen.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I do use an ipad anyway (setlist maker & galileo). I checked out the app and saw the organ screen - very nice!

My galileo organ is not bad at all, but does not SCREAM, and my Griffin midi input to the ipad runs very hot. (The ps) also, I think MIDI in gets overloaded occasionally prolly due to cc11 coming from a MidiSolutions pedal thingy.

Plus, I'm tired of playing organ on an 88-weighted board.

Youse guys are great, pointing out the plusses/minuses - tip 'o' the hat!

One of the real plusses on this thing FOR ORGAN is the keybed. Now that I'm used to it I think it's great. Very responsive, as the keys only have to move about 1/32" to trigger. Glisses and smears work perfectly. Of course, I was "raised" on an L111.

One minus is that I think the high end of the organ is a bit shrill. It might be possible to fix this with tweaking, I haven't tried. I just roll off the top end EQ on the board a bit.

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

Hey Craig, thanks for the response. I'm not hearing the 'warble' or double leslie effect on your playing that I heard this weekend during a gig with my 09.

I'm leaving town for a few days, but when I come back I'm going to set up gear up and give a fresh listen..Maybe the warble was all in my head-a lot of room in there for something!

Thanks again..

I'm hearing it too on my VR-09/BURN set up but I'm pretty sure it's the reverb in the BURN. Try turning your reverb all the way down/off and see if it is there.

-------------------------------

Nord Stage 3, Mojo Classic, Leslie 771, Vent

Whelp, it was bound to happen sooner or later...I packed up the gear and left the power cord at home so took my lunch money for the next two weeks and got some rechargeable AA'a and a high quality charger at lunchtime yesterday. Four hours later with a pack of warm power cells in my pocket, off to practice I go. Works like a charm...I did unplug the thumb drive to get as much time as possible on this charge. Played for 3.5 hours last night. Will practice again tonight on battery power.

I have such an overwhelming desire to fasten guitar strap buds on the thing and go wireless for the show...he,he.

I think it's a standard roland adapter that is used for almost everything... (same as my PK5 pedals, GAIA, PCR-800, Sonic Cell etc).. It's probably worthwhile to buy a spare and leave it in the gig bag?!

It is nice to know that a set of batteries can get you through a 3 hour gig... and some!!

Yes at 12 pounds it is really tempting to put a strap on this thing (if I was a keytar kind of guy or course).

Craig MacDonald

Does anybody know why it requires NiMh cells? Given that it has no charger, that requirement seems silly?!

We can only assume Roland chose them because NiMh cells are the longest lasting of the most available kinds around. Perhaps the corporate heads (or more likely the designers) have a bit of environmental impact concern to suggest only using rechargeables?

Regardless, I am very pleased to have practiced three nights in a row without plugging into AC. Have had about 8 hours of playtime and it still going strong...way longer than any single gig I've had the pleasure of performing at.

Briefly popped it off the stand at practice last night during a guitar solo while vamping some choppy org and got big grins from the fellas. Warranty, Schmorranty...this thing's gonna have strap studs on it very soon.

Hi, ive been playing the vr09 for about 5 gigs now and its absolutely worth buying if it suits the project u doing. The sounds cut through and are good. Im doing this for living and as a jazz guy and lets say purist im happy with the sounds. Although i know there are better sounds out there. I wouldnt play a jazz or blues piano solo on it but using the rhodes sound with a bit of the bitcrusher, takes out all the glocky sounds and is nice and dry. And its got a hiss sounds behind it but it doesnt bother me as every guitar amp or lesley makes noises. The organ sounds very good for what im doing. And its brilliant for my function bands. So im happy and would recommend it.

Thanks for the quick review.. I would agree that its a great little all-in-one for the right situation.. I use it as backup for a Kronos and a mojo.. If either has a problem, I can sub in the VR.. I have also used it all by itself on a couple of gigs and it's worked very well!

A few folks don't seem to like the keyboard feel, but most folks here don't seem to mind it, and after a short while they get used to it. The sound is fantastic for an under $1000 drawbar organ.. The recent update really helped to round out its functionality! Although there are still a few things I would like to see fixed.

Craig MacDonald

I use the ne3 too and over the last few gigs ive compared sounds and i actually prefer the vr organ bt its what i like, not actually knowing all the features of a real organ. The rhodes is better on the nord bt the vr cuts through better and again using the bitcrusher for a solo is ok and ive played a propper one for many years. So the vr ep is more for pop, gospel, songs in general nd the ne3 for jazz. In fact i think the ne3 is a jazz board. I used it on pop nd gospel gigs bt the rhodes never cuts through. I can never here a chord properly. The vr you get the benefit of the chord u play. So if i did a jazz or blues gig id use the nord for piano or rhodes and for any other genre like pop, reggae, gospel, rock id use the vr.

I'm interested that you mentioned hiss. My VR09 is absolutely dead quiet. The noise floor must be at least 100dB.

+1 I think my VR-09 is the quietest keyboard I've ever owned.. are you talking about the organ specifically.. is it leakage or some other parameter that's turned up..?

Craig MacDonald

I must report another disappointment in the design...as one squeezes out the last of the battery power, the VR display pops up a message "CHARGE BATTERY!" as it should, but it also cuts the sound to the outputs for about 10 seconds...enough to blow a whole solo. And it repeatedly does it about every minute so as the batteries drain, this design potentially botches an entire tune on stage with no notice.

Come'on Roland...a flashing display with alternating white/black background would be plenty noticeable, and then maybe a soft but noticeable beeping for the last minute or so of battery life...but DON'T CUT OUT THE SOUND!!! Sheesh!

There seems to be that problem with all the effects, that they don't smoothly come on. Theres a very noticeable jump from 0 to turning them on.

Has anyone found a good way to get the acoustic piano to cut through the mix. Im still struggling with this.

With Grand V.. turn the tone dial to the left @ around 10 30 or 11 o'clock. I also stack the Grand V on top of the Classic Piano sound and do the same thing with the tone.. cuts just fine.

Jay

www.soundcloud.com/high-diving-act

www.yournewneighbors.com

www.mclovinmusic.com

Nord Stage 3 Compact, Korg Krome EX, Novation Summit, Roland RD88 & Edge, Spectrasonic Keyscape

I still think the organ of vr760 is better. What do you think? I came very closed to the vr760 sound with the 09. When i watch vids on youtube i think ive achieved the same sound bt playing it live i hear a slight different. Bt i guess every instrument is different. Never sounds the same. Gna have to copy the exact settings nd see what happens then.

I need to create a patch for shine on you crazy diamond by pink floyd. Origionally i wass gona do just the backing strings pad sound on the vr09 and the synthy brass lead on the microkorg, but in the end, since im having problems with the power connection of the microkorg,im gonna try to them both on split, on the vr09 one registration, using the ipad editor, to layer 3 sounds on the left(pcm's), and the right side for the lead.

Can any of you more experienced payers help me in dialing in the correct settings on the vr09 to get he brassy synth lead sound? I tried following some settings online, but i just cant get it to sound right...

Just thought I'd mention, I finally got to try the feel of the VR-09 action today. I don't think it's bad at all. I'd have no problem with organ/synth on that board.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Hiw can i set up midi on my yamaha s80, to control switching registratins on he vr09?

Im completely new to setting up midi and dont know how to go about it. I would really like my 88 key keyboard underneath for more expression and freedom on the piano parts.

Dats what I bin sayin....

Craig

Since the VR09 sounds are mostly 2 ch (Stereo) what do you think about a SW upgrade that makes hard panning of a split to left or rt. This pan parameter has got to be available inside the code now No?

KT

This pan parameter has got to be available inside the code now No?

I would not assume there is any code in there for features that were not implemented. Code doesn't write itself, and there would be no reason to write code for non-existent features. I think the only reason it would be there would be if they borrowed a chunk of code form some other board that had it. (And we're also assuming that it's strictly a software thing, and not also a hardware issue.)

As I mentioned elsewhere, I think the stereo effects could be an issue. Certainly they wouldn't be able to put two sounds into a combined single effect and separate them on the other side. So if they did implement a way to send one sound left and the other right, you might have to disable effects in order to actually fully get that split. Still, better than nothing.