Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

weird guitar appreciation

I like that a lot, that sounds fantastic! Especially when both the acoustic and pickup/amp-speaker mics are on, panned Left and Right, respectively. 

• Like 2

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

7 hours ago, hurricane hugo said:

bump because lol. Sounds really good, though. The concept definitely worked, even if it is unwieldly.

I wonder what would happen if you took a pickup designed for extended-range guitars (like the Lace Alumitone Deathbar) and mounted it diagonally on a 6-string.

• Like 3

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

Rolf Spuler was a luthier who made The Paradis- a guitar I believe I mentioned earlier in this thread.  He died in 2014 or so, but I believe they’re still in production through the efforts of his former business partners.  At the time, I didn’t know of anyone actually PLAYING one, though.  Then, last week, I happened to be watching Andreas Vollenweider in concert on YouTube and he took a break from his custom electric harp to play on a Paradis.  So I looked for demos of guitarists using one.  Here’s one I found.

And another.  Note this one has a quasi-headless design.

Here’s Rolf showing us the original version of his guitar (in German…🤷🏾)

• Like 1

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

8 hours ago, Dannyalcatraz said:

I wonder what would happen if you took a pickup designed for extended-range guitars (like the Lace Alumitone Deathbar) and mounted it diagonally on a 6-string.

I think part of the answer would depend on where the pole pieces landed, and how far their respective magnetic fields extended, relative to the position of the strings? A bar or blade-style PU magnet might be worth experimenting with.

• Like 2

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
35 minutes ago, IMMusicRulz said:

How about the Hamer Electric Mandocello that Rick Nielsen played in Cheap Trick? It never caught on, but it's a beautiful sounding guitar.

Good call!!!

Here's a video tour of Rick Neison's guitars, including the 5 neck Hamer and some other cool stuffs.

Seen them live 4 times, Cheap Trick is one of my favorite live bands. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

6 hours ago, IMMusicRulz said:

How about the Hamer Electric Mandocello that Rick Nielsen played in Cheap Trick? It never caught on, but it's a beautiful sounding guitar.

"Mandocello" has long been one of my very favorite songs, from one of my very favorite albums- Cheap Trick's first eponymous album, from 1977.

💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖 💖💖

I think that the studio recording of "Mandocello" on that album was played on an old acoustic mandocello, quite likely a very old vintage Gibson. (I've actually seen and tried a few! :crazy:) It sure sounds like it. I could be wrong; I'm making an 'educated guess', short of looking up info on all that...

I've seen Mr. Nielsen perform that song live with Cheap Trick, on a flashy Hamer "Standard"/Explorer-styled electric solid-body mandocello. It may or may not have been the one Hamer made for him in the '70s.

5 hours ago, KuruPrionz said:

Good call!!!

Here's a video tour of Rick Neison's guitars, including the 5 neck Hamer and some other cool stuffs.

Seen them live 4 times, Cheap Trick is one of my favorite live bands. 

I saw most or all of those in concert, as well!

• Like 2
  • Wow! 1

27 minutes ago, Dannyalcatraz said:

Is that supposed to be Texas in the middle of Alaska?

Looks like it to me. Just how it is for realz.

That's a butt-ugly headstock too. 😇

• Like 2

5 hours ago, KuruPrionz said:

That's a butt-ugly headstock too. 😇

For realz... 😄

5 hours ago, Scott Fraser said:

I don't ever want to see that again, but I do want to see the case for it.

Haahh! Yeah, me, too! :crazy: 😆

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, hurricane hugo said:

baritone Gretsch, anyone?

Got a Baritone Tele, the bridge pickup is an EMG 81, it will deliver the beatdown to the Gretsch pickups. Cool looking guitar though. 

Mine's just a Frankencaster with a Warmoth neck. I tune it to BEADF#B, not sure what the cool kids do...

IMG_2388.JPG

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Lot to think about here. I've always liked the idea of a hexaphonic guitar (remember Tom Petersson's quad 12-string bass with the built in mixing board?), and I'm wondering about the hex output wiring and cord. Like the design of the guitar, especially that ultrathin aluminum neck.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Nice guitar…played well!  It’s been a hot minute since I’ve seen anyone playing a Toone.

Aesthetically/stylistically, it reminds me of the stuff Fripp and his students play.

Edit: went to YouTube to check out the video data, and found this: “Fabio is tuned in Robert Fripp's New Standard Tuning (CGDAEG low to high).”  😁

• Like 3

8 hours ago, hurricane hugo said:

Lot to think about here. I've always liked the idea of a hexaphonic guitar (remember Tom Petersson's quad 12-string bass with the built in mixing board?), and I'm wondering about the hex output wiring and cord. Like the design of the guitar, especially that ultrathin aluminum neck.

I think I'd really like that! Except for the front-to-back thinness of that neck, and the location of those two control-knobs on the upper-bout shoulder near the strap-button.

I find thin necks to exacerbate fatigue and cramping in the fretting-hand; a thicker, rounder, fuller neck makes the hand conform to a wider, looser grip with the thumb and hand and fingers spread out more, which greatly reduces fatigue and cramping.

And I like my volume and tone controls to be in the general area that they're found on a Strat or Tele; Les Pauls come close. I want to be able to readily manipulate them, particularly for "pinky swells" and faux wah type maneuvers, with minimal interruption of my fingerstyle playing.

Now... The materials, design, modular assembly/disassembly for travel, the 'fanned-fret' array, the multi/hexaphonic outputs- I really like all that!  :cool: :rawk:  Though it would be a major expenditure just to be able to USE those outputs! :D 

• Like 1

I agree with Caevan on the neck profile and the knobs on the top horn. 

For me the biggest issue is the aluminum neck. Aluminum expands when it is warm and shrinks when it is cooler. 

This WILL cause tuning problems. Carbon fiber would be more stable, so would wood. 

And I gotta have a scalloped fretboard but I can do that myself. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KuruPrionz said:

Aluminum expands when it is warm and shrinks when it is cooler.

Our own "Bluesape" Reif Spano remembered gigging with a Travis Bean at an outdoors event; while he was playing, the Sun went down, and the Bean went "BOINK!"...

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Caevan O’Shite said:

Our own "Bluesape" Reif Spano remembered gigging with a Travis Bean at an outdoors event; while he was playing, the Sun went down, and the Bean went "BOINK!"...

I've experienced both Travis Bean and Kramer guitars with aluminum necks exhibiting a profound lack of tuning stability due to temperature change. 

It is the reality of an aluminum neck. There are better materials. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KuruPrionz said:

I've experienced both Travis Bean and Kramer guitars with aluminum necks exhibiting a profound lack of tuning stability due to temperature change. 

It is the reality of an aluminum neck. There are better materials. 

But what if the strings were aluminum... ?

🪐 🛸  >snaps fingers< 💡  Aluminum necks, wooden strings... !!

And thus, the Vibra~Marimbitar was borne...

• Like 2