Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

weird guitar appreciation

26 minutes ago, Caevan O’Shite said:

I can appreciate that that's certainly a weird guitar idea, but I think it's ridiculous- that's the kindest thing that I can say about it. The incredibly small radius of the fretboard/fingerboard is practically unusable and a total detriment to any real use of this as a musical instrument for performance. A lot of work for a pile of crap.

I'd want to hear it played, the video attempts to explain it but nobody takes it for a "spin". 

It's easy to see why the heavier guage strings roll down to the bottom, that would be a constant struggle as well. 

If you tried to stretch a string you would just push the neck into rotation. 

In the end a keyboard would probably be a better solution due to the limitations of this idea.

That said, I LOVE seeing all the crazy stuffs people come up with!!!! Thanks for sharing Hurricane Hugo!!!!!:keynana:

• Like 3
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

2 hours ago, KuruPrionz said:

That said, I LOVE seeing all the crazy stuffs people come up with!!!! Thanks for sharing Hurricane Hugo!!!!!:keynana:

True. And yes, thank you for sharing that and so much more so often, Hugo. Forgive my being a grouch and a wet blanket.

• Like 3

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

The only thought that came to my mind is maybe the guy is building a player-guitar on the same concept as a player-piano.  The thing rotates around and up to 5 picks pluck the strings. You have to put a dollar in the slot and pick one of the 250 greatest players on the Rolling Stone roster before it will start spinning.  Much like my mind is still spinning trying to figure out what the guy is really up to! :puff:

• Like 3
Take care, Larryz

2 hours ago, Winston Psmith said:

Play it with a Slide on your Left hand, and a Bow in your Right hand. Tune it to an open chord, and let it spin.

Should a Sustainiac Sustainer pickup system be installed and used, as well?  :rawk: 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Winston Psmith said:

Play it with a Slide on your Left hand, and a Bow in your Right hand. Tune it to an open chord, and let it spin.

The video clearly shows that letting it spin means that the lower pitched, heavier strings will always be at the bottom and inaccessible. 

Maybe hook it up to an exercise bike so constant rotation at variable speeds is possible?

Or, plug it in, turn it WAY up and use it as a baseball bat? That'll wake the neighbors!!!! 😇

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Winston Psmith said:

Good call Winston! Using it much like a wood lathe to carve out table legs, decorative posts, etc.  Making interesting sounds like the Theremin concept? 😎👍

• Like 1
Take care, Larryz

• 5 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, hurricane hugo said:

no idea what the rest looks like  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

404547327_704673658264833_83075716501724

Freak show beyond any doubt. The Floyd Rose nut betrays it's modern heritage, clock winders and gears indicate that it was probably designed by a weird. Hats off to them, it's very cool!!!!

11 hours ago, KuruPrionz said:

Freak show beyond any doubt. The Floyd Rose nut betrays it's modern heritage, clock winders and gears indicate that it was probably designed by a weird. Hats off to them, it's very cool!!!!

Those clockworks gears are all purely cosmetic ornamentation, and the clock-keys are surely add-on extensions in place of the 'normal' tuner-buttons. (You probably knew that already.) "Steampunk" aesthetics, probably all done to an offshore budget guitar.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Long ago, a local music store had a Guitorgan. I never got to play it, somebody bought it. 

I have a Fishman Triple Play pickup. It will play just about any audio plug in you can throw at it. Great for recording, I haven't gotten a handle on using it live yet.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, hurricane hugo said:

not so much the guitar as the bridge...I like it. Lots.

Remember the Steinberger TransTrem, around 1984?

• Like 2

On 1/25/2024 at 6:12 PM, hurricane hugo said:

not so much the guitar as the bridge...I like it. Lots.

I’ve had Rick Toone’s site bookmarked for YEARS!  Always full of incredible, drool-worthy content, but a lot of it is pricey and niche.  

THIS, OTOH, might be big.

• Like 4

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/10/2013 at 3:52 AM, hurricane hugo said:

More of a "most beautiful instrument ever made" than a "weird guitar," but there's a Pagelli Goldbass for sale on eBay:

eBay

:D

The Pagelli Goldbass is indeed a stunning instrument! With its exquisite craftsmanship and attention to detail, it's no wonder it's considered one of the most beautiful instruments ever made. The combination of premium materials, meticulous design, and superb sound quality elevates it to a work of art.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...