Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

weird guitar appreciation

34 minutes ago, surfergirl said:

I thought I would try this on my Strat. Couldn't fit the tracks on. Tried my boyfriends Jazz Bass, still to small.20220822_095629.thumb.jpg.f9c4647458742bf2a8bf10050686b2b0.jpg20220822_094639.thumb.jpg.70d88df0be9936b6a2a1fd79e763a023.jpg   

Maybe it requires split-rail pickups and classical train-ing...

:rimshot:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

OK, I had to hunt this photo down for a shot of the actual guitar. I still have the body, neck and essential parts. The electronics and tuners are gone. I plan on playing this again someday. 

The "Ann Boelyn" guitar. Ann Boelyn was one of Henry the VII's many wives, he had her beheaded. This guitar has no head either, a solid rosewood neck with 27 frets and it weighs a ton which is probably the main reason I haven't gotten around to bringing it back to life. I was in my early 20's when I played this so about 44 years ago.

I showed it to Rick Neilson of Cheap Trick the night I sold him a 53 Tweed Deluxe. Rick said it was too weird for him. 

I will add that I designed and built this guitar, the body and neck were lumber when I started. 552698548_AnnBoelyn.thumb.jpg.b3b565c8091f8225d2ddbaade0e6a442.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

7 hours ago, KuruPrionz said:

I showed it to Rick Neilson of Cheap Trick the night I sold him a 53 Tweed Deluxe. Rick said it was too weird for him.

Haahhaahhaahh!! 😄👍

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

That DeArmond Baritone is pretty cool. 

I stumbled into one of these and had to own it, now I'm looking for flat wound strings I can put on the two low strings. The wraps are bigger and make lots of "finger zing", flat wounds would alleviate that problem and I only need them for the thump, the double courses on the middle strings are in octaves and bring the chime. 

I've got it tuned down to A and it sounds amazing. 

https://alvarezguitars.com/guitar/abt60ce8shb/ABT60CE-8SHB-Front-3_4.thumb.jpeg.1fb3142f73c1b8fa83e8e389c0b76183.jpeg

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, hurricane hugo said:

^ that is sweet. Mandocello or cittern?

anyway, here's this:

Somewhere around 18 minutes, he plays it for a bit. An amazing instrument, it would be fun to try and shred on it. 

The Alvarez is tuned like a guitar, if you capoed it on the 7th fret it would be in E. 

It's tuned to A. The middle strings are double courses in octaves like a 12 string. The two low strings bring the grunt, the middle strings bring the chime and you can rock out on the high strings. 

I want to put flat wounds on the two low strings because the wraps on the roundwounds are big enough to generate lots of "string zing" when you are changing positions. 

They don't need to be bright, just deep. 

In a way, it's sort of three 2 string guitars all one neck (well, the pair of middle strings are a 4 string guitar, sort of...).

It's fun to play, easy to adapt to in terms of changing keys (playing a G shaped cowboy chord gives you a C) and seems like a great choice for doing a solo or duo act. 

It's well suited for fingerpicking or using a flat pick. I mention a capo but you'd need to customize one to make it work because of the differences in string diameters. 

I'll just play it open, I got it because it's low and deep. 

I think Taylor made the first commercially produced 8 string baritone but theirs is up in the $3k range. Alvarez has this one in the $600 range which is more feasible. 

Build quality is high, top is solid spruce. It sounds huge plugged in too!

• Like 2

Well, lookie what I found!

Some spoilers context: it is telling that, despite showing a Teuffel in the opening montage, they didn’t make the final cut for this video…

• Like 2
  • Wow! 1
  • Love 2

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

10 hours ago, Dannyalcatraz said:

Well, lookie what I found!

Some spoilers context: it is telling that, despite showing a Teuffel in the opening montage, they didn’t make the final cut for this video…

I've played a Velano guitar, one of the shops in Fresno had one. 

Sadly, aluminum is not thermally stable. The Velano, Travis Bean and the early Kramer guitars with aluminum necks all have one "feature" in common. 

When they get warm (stage lights, body temperature, etc.) the aluminum expands and the strings are stretched tighter - they go sharp. If the instrument is cold, it will shrink and the strings will be flat. 

A huge advantage of wood or carbon fiber, they are both thermally much more stable and stay in tune better. 

Cool video, thanks for sharing!!!

• Like 3

I thought the German design product was damn clever, mostly because of the pickups.

It did make me think of those magnetic letters & numbers with the whiteboard we probably all know from childhood.  Imagine pickups in those shapes, and altering your guitar’s output by spelling out rude words!*

* or other messages, of course.

• Like 4

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

Thanks Danny!  Being able to move the pickups makes a huge difference.  It's not a new idea as they used to put a moveable pickup mounted on a rod on some of the early archtop guitars.  I had two identical 57 humbuckers and before putting them in permanently I moved the pickup from the bridge to the neck position and vise versa.  Country at the bridge and jazz at the neck just by the locations.  I prefer the neck position but would be open to a center mounted pickup as well.  😎👍

• Like 2
Take care, Larryz

• 3 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, hurricane hugo said:

interesting. synth tones aren't the greatest, but the tracking seems pretty awesome, and I bet it would kill thru a good pedalboard.

Roland and Boss are part of the same conglomerate. A while back, Roland stopped doing guitars, guitar amps, guitar synths and now it looks like Boss is the brand for those things. It does track well and those sounds would probably blend well in a band context. Fun toy, I'd like one!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

There’s some tech on those Ten32s I’ve seen from other small companies, but never all of them at once, on one guitar.   Much less a product line.

Those other companies didn’t make it.  I’m hoping Ten32 does.

• Like 3

On 11/22/2022 at 10:55 AM, Dannyalcatraz said:

There’s some tech on those Ten32s I’ve seen from other small companies, but never all of them at once, on one guitar.   Much less a product line.

I will admit that I'm not quite certain why they put the tuners on a headstock when there is plenty of room behind the bridge?

That said, I think it's fantastic. That and a Tech 21 Fly Rig could be many players "go anywhere and gig" rig. 

• Like 1

On 11/21/2022 at 11:32 PM, hurricane hugo said:

colour me intrigued. very intrigued.

On 11/21/2022 at 11:48 PM, KuruPrionz said:

Yep, that's really cool!

I will admit that I'm not quite certain why they put the tuners on a headstock when there is plenty of room behind the bridge?

That said, I think it's fantastic. That and a Tech 21 Fly Rig could be many players "go anywhere and gig" rig. 

On 11/22/2022 at 1:55 PM, Dannyalcatraz said:

Unless there's something cushioning and protecting that I'm just not seeing, having the neck lay across the body when disassembled and in the case would likely dent and damage both in no time.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Caevan O’Shite said:

Unless there's something cushioning and protecting that I'm just not seeing, having the neck lay across the body when disassembled and in the case would likely dent and damage both in no time.

It goes by fast- 0:12-0:15- but it looks like the neck is suspended in brackets slightly above the actual body of the guitar.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Dannyalcatraz said:

It goes by fast- 0:12-0:15- but it looks like the neck is suspended in brackets slightly above the actual body of the guitar.

Plus, it's angled to touch the pickups first. 

Every time I put a microscopic tiny scratch on the top of a pickup, I curl up in the corner in the fetal position and weep for days. 🤣

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hurricane hugo said:

maybe this should've gone in the cool new effects thread, but I'm dropping it here - a guitar with BUILT-IN SPRING REVERB.

I'm glad they pummeled it, that's what I would have done. 

I hear a high pitched "squeal" in the background, maybe just the single coils?

• Like 4