Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

This Just In......PX-5S

unclebyron

I like it! What I liked about the Nord keyboards was the fact that you could adjust everything on the fly with knobs, sliders and buttons (no menuing system which is pretty much impossible when playing live). But now, PX-5S seems to offer that same functionality (and more) at a fraction of the price!

The great thing about products like Nord and Korg's SV-1 is that there are controllers that are fixed for particular things.

The PX-5S is different and it is also a bit a of a chameleon with the variety of sounds it can produce. The knobs/sliders can do anything you want them to do. For the factory Stage Settings we came up with a methodology that we repeated throughout similar categories of sounds. It does make it a little challenging the first time you play the PX-5S but you'll get it quickly (I hope). :)

Yes... Nord, and Korg SV-1 have dedicated knobs, buttons, sliders for everything (makes it super easy). But I normally only use a fraction of those. Mainly reverb, EQ, and some of the dynamics adjustments. Sounds like its easy to duplicate that onto the knobs/sliders of my choice onto the PX-5S, and if those settings/mappings are saveable/recallable then it just makes it all the more awesome!

PianoManChuck

Authorized reseller: Casio, Dexibell, Kurzweil, Nord, iLoud, Viscount

Keyboard Reviews +

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, you can set them how you like and save them as part of a Stage Setting, along with splits and layers. And probably other stuff.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Yeah, you can set them how you like and save them as part of a Stage Setting, along with splits and layers. And probably other stuff.

That's awesome!! I can think of a ton of scenarios where I can store/recall many different settings!

PianoManChuck

Keyboard Reviews +

That's awesome!! I can think of a ton of scenarios where I can store/recall many different settings!

I worked on the voicing with Mike, and the implementation is really good. We got them to put two destinations for each controller, with min and max ranges for each. Let me share a few of my favorite tips for using/voicing controllers:

Don't just assign it to the parameter you want - set a more limited, or sweet-spot range. An easy example is reverb depth - I doubt you're going to need the second half of the range at all, unless you like swimming in murky ambience. So by setting the range lower (00-64 for example) you'll get more finite control, or seemingly resolution from the controller.

Sometimes I really just want two settings for an effect, so I'll think of the slider like a switch - the lowest value is one setting, and the highest is another. Once you've found the two you like you just slam the slider up or down to get two of the best settings. Add a second destination and do the same and you can "voice" an effect like two presets and switch them with the slider all within one Stage Setting.

Sometimes it can be really expressive to slightly speed up vibrato depth as you bring it in with the Mod Wheel. But just a little bit... so when you get to the far depth of your throw you let it get a bit "wilder". Dual destinations let you do that.

Fun stuff. Enjoy.

Jerry

Great advice... and makes perfect sense. Thanks!!!

Is there an external footswitch input (ie: Boss FS5U) that can also be used for whatever you want?

One of the nicest things about the Kronos is the "set list" mode and the ability to use a foot switch to go through the various pre-selected patches in the set list. If not yet, this would be an awesome feature to have in a future release.

PianoManChuck

Keyboard Reviews +

There are two pedal inputs, but I'm not sure what they can be mapped to, yet.

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Sometimes it can be really expressive to slightly speed up vibrato depth as you bring it in with the Mod Wheel. But just a little bit... so when you get to the far depth of your throw you let it get a bit "wilder". Dual destinations let you do that.

Can you modulate the modulator, so that the vibrato speed changes from slower to faster as you bring it in?

Can you modulate the modulator, so that the vibrato speed changes from slower to faster as you bring it in?

Yes, that what I'm talking about. The first assignment is for Mod Wheel to increase Mod Depth, the second destination is for Mod Wheel to increase LFO rate/speed. Easily done with the PX5S.

:thu:

Jerry

Did you know that a requirement to play the PX-5S is a big watch?

I haven't worn a watch in years, but I recently started wearing one. It was the same time I got the PX-5S, interestingly enough...

Joe, Mike or anyone at Casio,

What's the latest info on shipping? I have a couple of gigs later this month and would like to know whether the PX-5s will be available in time.

TIA,

aL

Gear: Yamaha MODX8, Mojo 61, NS2 73, C. Bechstein baby grand.

I like Max Tempia. Buona figura. Teaser in a few seconds.

I met Max in Rome last week. Very nice guy, great player, music and technology enthusiast. Very pleasant to hang with.

What's the latest info on shipping? I have a couple of gigs later this month and would like to know whether the PX-5s will be available in time.

TIA,

aL

Last week of April was the last thing I saw posted somewhere. Kraft says expected April 30th.

Casio PX-5S...StudioLogic VMK 161 Organ Plus...

A Casio G-Shock watch is the way to go. I've worn them for years. I hope the sturdy quality comes with their new instruments as well.

The PX5-S IS very impressive in a lot of aspects. But I'm sad to say that the AP sound that we've heard so far is average and seem to lack that long natural decay, I wishing for.

I would love to hear some more AP recordings that shows how the different knobs and settings will affect the piano. Not talking about layerings here...

Yamaha CP88, EV zxa1

But I'm sad to say that the AP sound that we've heard so far is average and seem to lack that long natural decay, I wishing for.

I would love to hear some more AP recordings that shows how the different knobs and settings will affect the piano. Not talking about layerings here...

I found the APs in the Px350 to be quite playable and figure the PX-5S has to be at least as good. I hear some people speak of "plunkyness" in the upper middle of the keyboard on the AP sounds. I too wonder that if this is found bothersome on the PX-5S,couldn't it be remedied with ADSR tweaks by the user?

ooooh, totally bummed out to hear this! :sick: I was really hoping for the 2nd week like Mike said. Still hoping I get a + call from my Sweetwater rep tomorrow, though.

TIA,

aL

Last week of April was the last thing I saw posted somewhere. Kraft says expected April 30th.

Kurzweil PC4, NS3-88, Kronos 2-61, QSC K8.2's.

I would love to hear some more AP recordings that shows how the different knobs and settings will affect the piano.

Yes... this is the most conspicuously absent data point so far, and might have even kept me from impulsively pre-ordering were the PX-5S not otherwise perfect for my nautical application (size, weight, power, cost/performance ratio, keybed feel, etc). The die is cast, but the suspense is killing me... how is the AP? I'll probably add Galaxy Vintage D anyway, but turn-key operation without nearby Big Iron would be a treat.

Counting down the days until the call from Kraft... looking forward to the new rig! From all I've heard and seen (including excellent company presence here... hi, Mike), I'm happy with the choice. Mah fingers itch... already sold the 65-pound RD-700SX.

It is only abscent becuase I'm not feeling particularly confident in my own playing lately....to much time programming keyboards, not enough time practicing.

I have a lot of audio/video from the last few days including some with Stephan De.Reine - Stephan LeBlanc and more. I have to go through it, match the audio which was recorded off the PX-5S to the video...although some clips will just be posted directly SoundCloud. I know someone who got video of Stephen De.Reine playing the PX-5S yesterday but this will be camera audio. I'll post it when he gets it on YouTube.

I am also working on some alternate presets which be available for download some of which will have a lower "initial attack" which I believe will change the perceived decay issue.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Lower initial attack will go a long way towards helping this , IMO. My big problem with a LOT of DP's I've played is that the initial attack is so strong that it's impossible to play legato. My P90 for example doesn't sound too bad playing with a band (mono STILL sux tho) but playing a solo ballad on it is just disheartening, mostly because of the PING! on the attack of every note.

Archived