Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Master Classes and Interview Repository

CEB

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That does it. I quit!

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

Richard makes me regret not having the reading skills, the classical training, the dexterity, and all that, but he's done nothing but inspire me since I first heard him with Paul Simon.

This is the $#!t. The first time I've ever played an hour video end to end and immediately started it again from the top. Twice.

Much of the practicing I've done in the last couple of months has been slowing his stuff down to between 90% and 95% of the original so I can hear exactly what he's doing and hang to some degree. A lot of it is simpler than it sounds, and you don't have to play it all to make it feel good. I never thought I'd be able to play any of that up tempo down home two fisted stuff, but I'm actually beginning to get the hang of it a little after all these years.

--wmp

Some cats inspire you. Some make you wanna quit. Wow.

It had both effects on me :freak: I just love Tee's musicality, tone and technique and ask myself why i still play the piano... Such a great player, he left us too early. Thanx for posting this

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

His running through different substitutions, time signatures and styles, though, was just crazy.

I'll tell you what's so crazy about him beyond all this. It's his TIME and GROOVE. Damnit.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Amazing how many concepts you can teach with Happy Birthday.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

This was my first introduction to Richard Tee. I am floored. :o:cool: :cool: :cool:

Some of the questions are a bit basic at first, but nonetheless legitimate. His running through different substitutions, time signatures and styles, though, was just crazy.

In case you missed it, it's probably worth checking out this video too. I love his take on covers like Rhapsody in Blue and Take The A Train.

[video:youtube]ym3y13nA3ew

Richard Tee has been the high point of my week.

--wmp

Discussions on Moonlight Sonata

Fascinating - thanks for posting. When I heard Schiff's opening example, I immediately thought "He's playing it like a Bach prelude". About 10 minutes in he confirms it!

Here's my contribution to the master class corpus - very different, but undoubtedly a master. Victor Borge:

[video:youtube]BcV19rylSZc

Cheers, Mike

Here's one I just re-upped on the site recently: Chester Thompson videos on funk B3 technique. This happened in, like, the first few weeks of me being a full-time employee at Keyboard in 2006. After this shoot, Ernie Rideout and I were tidying up the studio and he looked at me and said, "So, how's your job satisfaction level?" All I could do was grin from ear to ear.

http://www.keyboardmag.com/article/chester-thompson-b-3-master-class/1941

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

His running through different substitutions, time signatures and styles, though, was just crazy.

I'll tell you what's so crazy about him beyond all this. It's his TIME and GROOVE. Damnit.

Exactly. He had it all, but holy smokes, his time feel was so right.

Thanks for the Chester Thompson B3 Master class links!

Also I always loved Victor Borge. When I was young he made classical music cool.

Here is Chick. Audio quality is not the best. Sound only comes out one side of headphones. But the material is interesting in parts. Audio is fixed!

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_Rskz9iVTc

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

• 4 weeks later...
Jazz Harmony Lesson in a Song

I can sing like that a little, but I often get the words wrong. If he has a box set of that stuff I'll take it.

A pointer to that youtube downloader would be greatly appreciated.

--wmp

YT has become such an amazing resource for me I could spend the rest of my life there. I agree with the downloading point because I found three in my favorites that had been taken down so now I save everything, my YT download folder is just over 25 gigs and counting.

As for cool free YT lessons check out these three people:

Dave Frank, awesome NY player and educator. He has 15 masterclasses over an hour each. Very good and very advanced.

Michael Wolff, Arsenio Hall's MD plus he's played with lots of heavies, he has about 10 good vids.

Marious Nordal, a college music professor, killer player and has a whole series of vids, very detailed including practice exercises and alternate fingerings.

These three guys will keep anybody busy for a long, long time.

I wanted something a little more focused and specific and I found this:

http://www.jazzeveryone.com/

Willie Thomas is an 82 year old jazz trumpet player who's played with absolutely everybody. He has quite a few freebie vids on YT plus for $15/month you can sign up on his website for unlimited access to all his lessons which is what I've been doing since Christmas. I know squat about playing a trumpet but theory is theory and I have no problem adapting his teaching to keyboards. Great stuff here, I highly recommend him especially for the price. One of his freebies is using "pentatonic pairs" to solo over Giant Steps. Check that out and you'll be hooked.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

Archived