Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Master Classes and Interview Repository

CEB

FYI.

Dave has a new class on ecclesastical modes and their use in improv.

Props out to Dave for doing these.

[video:youtube]

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
I don't. That is why I stick'em here and bookmark this.

Man I wish I had the time to go through these videos. I don't know how you guys have the time.

Do you have a home theater big screen setup in your living room?

If the answer is yes, do I have to say it? If no, then just make time to work some of these in.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

• 6 months later...
The thing about Richard Tee is his playing is clean. He knows what to do at all time because of finally tuned instincts. He can hustle, you cant learn to hustle. He just has it.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

• 3 weeks later...

Great thread guys keep it coming! I remember borrowing the Richard Tee video in the '80s from a friend - he had it on VHS video, but we only had a Betamax machine, so I had to get a mate to copy it over - how we suffered for our art in those pre-YouTube days lol!

Here's my little contribution - recommend checking out all of these Barry Harris masterclass vids, wonderful stuff. Here he is going over a bit of Stella...

This is timely. I'm learning this for the band. I get to play some EPs again. I would rather do Peg or Kid Charlemagne but this will do.

• 4 months later...

Some wisdom from Rick Wakeman.

Doesn't copyright mean anything, any more?

Nope, not to many people. Not since a while ago, actually. You heard of Napster?

I think copyright, in a mojority of minds, has been replaced by the question, "Do I care about this artist? Do I want to support them?" Unfortunately, it's a drastically sliding, subjective scale.

Napster? Exactly what was the court order that shut them down?

Bit torrent? Yes, heard of that, too. And don't use it on principle.

I am no more of a prude than the next person, but why would Tony Monaco, for one example, continue to make instructional videos (which many people find very useful) at considerable cost to himself, if anyone can just give them away (even with the best of intentions).

Support the artist, please, by buying the video.

OK, so at this point the only thing really stopping us, is, us.

Indeed. It's a culture of choice. I don't download music either. You pretty much can't stop anyone from doing anything on the interwebz these days. It's just the reality of the situation. That's why crowdfunding has become so popular. You take the risk out while rewarding fans for their support with extra goodies based on their level of monetary loyalty.

In the first video here, Richard Tee, at about 12 minutes into the video, says he uses the same bass lines whether or not there is a bass player.

Is this common practice? Keys players have been long instructed not to do this: play middle register rootless voicings, or inversions, not root position of chords in left hand, when paying with a bass player.

(On the other hand I have never, never heard a bass player complain about the register used by the keys player.)

• 11 months later...
Doesn't copyright mean anything, any more?

I have most of these videos, and I paid for them. Tony Monaco, Richard T (estate), etc, they deserve every little bit they get from my dollars.

Sure, it should. I'd just like to note that Tony Monaco posted the linked video to Youtube for free, as a commercial for his in-depth series. So no harm/no foul on that one.

Lots to learn from him, for sure.

Jerry

• 3 weeks later...

Vince talks some about workflow.

Vince on Depeche Mode on he goes through some of the hardware in his studio.

Great videos as i been getting into learning and playing jazz since i have a little free time now. It amazes me how all the great players remember all these funky progressions and leads. I know alot is improvisation but i was learning a jazz tune this morning and i had to learn it in parts. Can anybody recommend some jazz videos that teach where it is easier to comprehend? Thanks

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived