Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Wurly in action - Little Feat live '76 (Bill Payne)

Jazz+

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The singing is not so great, imo. But the keyboard player is okay.

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

Never heard of him.... but the singer is not so great.

I have that DVD, and like it a lot. Love Payne's setup here, back in the day when men were men and it took 8 of them to move the keyboards. As I mentioned in an earlier thread, I saw the Feat recently, and Payne stuck strictly to digital piano, was still great, though.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

I think what Billy plays depends on where you see him. He often has a couple of Korgs and a Hammond XK, but sometimes I guess he uses backline.

He does play more EP tones than he did when the band reformed.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Between this thread and scottasin's dirty Wurlitzer/Southern Rock thread, I'm getting a quality education. And loving it.

Thanks, KC.

This is really what MIDI was originally about encouraging cooperation between companies that make the world a more creative place." - Dave Smith

Another thread recommended the the Skin It Back Little Feat DVD which I picked up and inspired me to listed to Waiting for Columbus again after many years - wore that out back in the day - and I was struck by what a great job Bill Payne did of mixing piano B3 Wurlie and synths - especailly the synth stuff - it blends in so well - great stuff. Maybe some day I will be able to listen to Steely Dan's Aja again...

Archived