Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Need a recognizable 5 note melody

ABECK

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Close Encounters theme.

My exact thought when I read the thread title.

dB

+1

Funny, that was the one that popped into my head as well. I'm not sure it will resonate with the given audience, but I'll keep it in my back pocket as an option.

The Close Encounters theme.

My exact thought when I read the thread title.

dB

+1

That was my thought also.

On the other hand, if you're presenting to a group of teenagers, it might be a little "long in the tooth" for them to recognize.

Others that leap to mind might include.

Shave and a hair cut

Jeopardy theme

2001 A Space Odyssesy (also sprach Zarathustra by Richard Strauss)

I still think the Close Encounters theme is a clear winner.

Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

Does it have to be exactly five notes?

If they are rockers, how 'bout the intro to Separate Ways by Journey, Baba O'Reily by The Who, or that sample & hold intro thing to Karn Evil 9 by ELP?

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

First thing that came to my mind was to grab a 5 note snippet out of Gary Glitter's Rock 'n' Roll .... but I just got drafted to sit in with my kid's high school pep band. LOL

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Yeah, Close Encounter would be the classic... some of the others mentioned here might not be so recognizable absent underlying chords or the right sound...

Who exactly is the audience? Some people have assumed it's kids, but do we know that?

Maybe not for kids, but another very recognizable 5-note melody that comes to mind is the first line or Somewhere from West Side Story... ("There's a place for us")

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

If it is just 5 unique notes, with repetition:

Amazing Grace (which is pentatonic) (sol - la - do -re -mi)

or

the "A" section of Ode to Joy (Beethoven's 9th) (do re mi fa sol)

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

If it is just 5 unique notes, with repetition:

Amazing Grace (which is pentatonic) (sol - la - do -re -mi)

or

the "A" section of Ode to Joy (Beethoven's 9th) (do re mi fa sol)

Sitting here at my desk, practicing my best solfege, I really had to work at getting "Amazing Grace" out of those pitches. I finally figured out what was going on. I always hear that song sung soulfully with so many grace notes and slurs that the straight pentatonic didn't sound fmiliar.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

Close Encounters was the first to jump into my head, quickly followed by Zarathustra.

For Amazing Grace, I'd say G C E D E (but I usually goof without an instrument at hand).

Evidently someone agrees with me, almost:

http://www.musescoretips.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Amazing-Grace-small-shadow.png

Oops. I guess the rest of the crowd is correct. I am yelling too early.
Oh, so it's YOU who always charges in one beat too early! :mad: (How's that workin for ya?)

Bill Withers' "Lean on Me":

[video:youtube]omBaFpxkBOQ

Most folks recognize it within the first 5 notes. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Archived