Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Need a recognizable 5 note melody

ABECK

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If its for kids, a lot of these classic tunes were popular even before Close Encounters came out. If they won't get Close Encounters, they might not get the Who or even Journey.

FWIW the Close Encounters theme gets spoofed from time to time, like on South Park, perhaps other instances of pop culture younguns might have been in contact with. Possible to do a test and see if someone in the age group you're aiming at recognizes it? Do you have any test subjects you can play it for before choosing?

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

"I am not certain how original my contribution to music is as I am obviously an amateur." Patti Smith

Hey gang,

I am in need of a reconizable 5 note melody for a presentation I'm doing. Any good ideas for something that most people would recognize?

You could go with the old (I mean, REALLY old) classics like 'Hap-py birthday to you' (that's five notes if you combine the single pitch on 'hap-py') or the classic Nyeah, Nyeah, nyeah, nyeah, nyeah - which is also the main melody to "We are the Champions" by Queen. Or even "rock-a-bye baby". There's got to be a few nursery rhymes that use a five note melody.

Good luck!

DRD

I sometimes test the age of my audience by playing the melody to "Those were the Days" which was the theme song for the TV series "All in the Family" on all black keys. Anyone alive in the 1970's will immediately recognize it :)

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

Archived