Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hammond SK2 Review - Gig Tested

b3plyr

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes. You could have the pedals only in the lowest octave or so (I'm assuming an SK-2 or SK-1 with lower manual) and the rest of the manual would be whatever drawbars you have set for the LM.

Jazz players play LH bass and comp with the right hand on the LM all the time. Being able to add some pedal drawbars to the LHB gives the bass more weight.

Thanks. I am a jazz only player and that was my concern. Really like what I have read about the Mojo but am not getting a good vibe in terms of response to emails. I know the SK2 is readily available and any anticipated service would be less of an issue. Decisions, decisions..

Yes. You could have the pedals only in the lowest octave or so (I'm assuming an SK-2 or SK-1 with lower manual) and the rest of the manual would be whatever drawbars you have set for the LM.

To clarify, I meant the pedals would only play in the lowest octave or so (along with the lower manual notes) and not all the way up the keyboard. At whatever note the upper limit is set for the pedal tones the lower manual notes would continue on their own.

Page 105 of the manual has a graphic of the keyboards and how manual bass and the LM overlap along wit the external zones.

Still not sure if I will order the SK2 or Mojo. Hopefully will decide tonight.

The best part is that whatever you choose, you get a really good organ!

NS2 88, Yamaha Cp300, Moog Little Phatty, Hammond Sk2, Roland Fantom X6, Ventilator, Nord C2D, Leslie 3300, Leslie 122

Pulled trigger on the SK2 today. Really impressed with the Mojo but was not getting response from Crumar even after several times offering to pay in full for a back order of the Mojo. If I were in business and a small company in need of cash flow, I would have jumped on it. The Mojo is surely a wonderful instrument but could not take chance that if ever service were to needed, I would be left hanging. I hope they continue to grow and prosper because competition will benefit all of us and technology will continue to improve.

I keep getting overwhelmingly positive comments on my SK2, and much of it has to do with the fact that you can play multiple sounds on it at once besides organ. That in addition to the compact form factor and problem-free OS seems to be a real advantage over the Mojo, in addition to comments about better support for the SK2. I am still gushing over my new organ (obviously).

Congrats on your new SK2 and welcome to the club! :thu:

edit: BTW - I ordered the CU-1 half-moon Leslie switch for my SK2. It's slightly backordered but I'll post a report when it arrives.

Thanks. Looking forward to delivery. Also was eligible for free gig bag. Again, the Mojo is a wonderful keyboard but my reservations about support/communication turned me back to the Hammond. It's all good..

hi !

i am new here and in hammond world :)

i love sound and love sk2 (looking to buy one so help!)

problem is where to find some music sheets

for organ kind music ??

and how to learn to play like real organ players

how i understand this wasn't just piano

plz help !

Seems odd not to have been able to get a simple power supply from Hammond. There is one poster that had his board replaced 5 times by Hammond. Not particularly encouraging but certainly does not seem to indicate a stocking problem. I was told 7-10 days so time will tell.

I've had no problems with the board, just got home from a gig tonight. I always like to have a backup for everything. Never can tell when you might have a power supply problem, cord or otherwise. The connector is non-standard or I would make my own.

Jim Wells

Tallahassee, FL

www.pureplatinumband.com

Does anyone know if either a Roland EV-5 or Yamaha FC-7 expression pedal will work on SK2? Seems the Exp-50 is on backorder.

The FC-7 does and the EV-5 probably will - I have an M-Audio pedal that I think is pretty much the same and it worked. You might need to set the Exp-Source parameter - pg. 79 #4. Also, check #5 and adjust #9 if necessary. Set #10 to taste.

Pulled trigger on the SK2 today. Really impressed with the Mojo but was not getting response from Crumar even after several times offering to pay in full for a back order of the Mojo. If I were in business and a small company in need of cash flow, I would have jumped on it. The Mojo is surely a wonderful instrument but could not take chance that if ever service were to needed, I would be left hanging. I hope they continue to grow and prosper because competition will benefit all of us and technology will continue to improve.

Since none of Crumar's customers spoke up for them with this I will add my remarks that are true from my experience: I have had the Hamichord 3 years and probably have contacted them around 15 times and in all cases have got a response. Including support when I thought I bricked my firmware upgrade recently and got at least 3 replies with attached files.

"If I were in business and a small company in need of cash flow, I would have jumped on it. "

Jumped on what? Their website clearly states the Mojo is out of stock and sold out. If they were taking backorders they would clearly have a 'cart' icon with some text about how long the wait. Probably why they did not reply because you ignored their website information and tried to go around it. If they could responsibly take back order they would take them direct on the website. About "cash flow" I would think they have too much cash flow right now as a plethora of people have bought and are trying to get the Mojo that might not be available for months. Actually I feel it is noble for a company to hold off taking money when they are unsure when they can provide the product, IMHO. Otherwise, temporarily, it possibly could be viewed as a scheme, imo

Knowing about a possible wait of that long I think you did the right thing in getting the SK2. Personally think it is great idea of a product from HS to have a light dual manual capable of other sounds with quality organ. I like the SK2. Having already the Crumar VB3-2 in the Hamichord it would not be out of the question for a lighter rig that would be on my short list if I added a smaller organ.

W.

Let me first say that I think the Mojo is a fantastic product and of course I was fully aware of the fact that they were not in stock. The problem was that 2 weeks ago in an email conversation with Andrea, it was acceptable and recommended that I place a deposit on the Mojo to, in a sense, put me at top of the list when they do become available. Four or five days passed and he had not yet sent me the invoice so I then offered to pay in full if that would make book keeping easier for him. Risky but if on Amex card, I would have some security regarding the transaction. I emailed him several subsequent times after the second email to remind him that I was waiting for the invoice. During this process I was in contact with a Hammond rep who also had good things to say about the Mojo but also said obviously that the SK2 was a good product and was also in stock. I placed that order on Friday afternoon and low and behold on Monday afternoon, Andrea emailed me asking if I wanted him to email the invoice. Since I made a decision to purchase the SK2, I had to decline but did tell him directly that he had a fantastic product and that he would be very successful. It would be great if Crumar had a distributor in USA for sure. Who knows, maybe next purchase will be the Mojo. Thanks for your feedback.

• 2 weeks later...
Unpacked the SK2 today. First impression is that it is quite a nice appearing keyboard and layout seems to be very user friendly. Sounded fairly nice right out of the box but began some custom tweaking and slowly getting closer to where I would like to be regarding the sound. Controls and program are intuitive so no real problems there. Sounded better with earphones than through my Barbetta 32C but then again playing in area of house with tile and hardwood and really no soft acoustic surfaces. Will use it on first gig next Saturday so hopefully will be comfortable with it by then.

Archived