Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hammond SK2 Review - Gig Tested

b3plyr

If that's your rationale, why bother with any of the norms of written communication? Why not just randomly hit a bunch of keys, and we'll derive your meaning from the thread you've posted in? :snax:

Great Idea!!!!!

ediufh2puhcrbvp24fh2ryf2rjfk2rjnfuhpfn

Got it?

Hey, this is a family forum, Dave... watch the language. ;)

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But the reason why big acts select equipment is dependability... and also how available that equipment is in remote locations... like Oslo, for instance.

Agreed, Dave. When I was touring, I would rarely find the gear I wanted from backline companies in the U.S. for the very reason you cite. In an effort to make Toronto more touring-friendly, I've worked with 2 of the major backline providers in town to make my gear available for the right clients, to make certain riders achievable. :thu:

Anyway, the suggestion that the SK1/SK2 would be good products only when used by large touring acts is complete and utter nonsense. A touring act with a road crew and a Hammond player won't settle for the all-in-one SK1 because he/she doesn't have to. These boards are targeted at weekend warrior types with small stages and smaller budgets.

That's like arguing the Yamaha MOX8/Roland Juno Gi/Korg M50 isn't a good choice because it's not on large touring stages. Bollocks.

Honestly, sometimes I think folks on this forum need a good beating about the head with a Common Sense Trout.

(Note, there is no such thing as a Common Sense Trout, but there really should be.)

Actually, I beat my students with the common sense trout all the time...

Your point is well taken... But you and I both know of acts, big and small, who have been pining for a keyboard like this for some time now, but for some reason or another have not taken the plunge... Until they do, or when H/S is finally confident enough to supply these acts with this keyboard... I will question their reliability.

Let's face it. The last thing H/S wants to see is Joey D, or Jim A, or any other high profile artist have their SK freeze up on them during a performance.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

It didn't seem to stop you from getting the meaning, did it? :thu:

If that's your rationale, why bother with any of the norms of written communication? Why not just randomly hit a bunch of keys, and we'll derive your meaning from the thread you've posted in? :snax:

This would be important, why? Slow news day, Sven?

It's as interesting as the general mewling that is otherwise filling this thread. :rolleyes:

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosnt mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?

:laugh:

Wow, that actually works! I didn't even have to slow down to read that. Might be the most interesting thing in this thread.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Some people should be beat on the head with a " Common Sense" Trout???

I think I have heard of that one. Invoking the common sense clause and busting people for infractions based on enforcer's personal version of whatever they believe common sense is.

"Should be" is also a great indicator of this kind of crazy making.

Apparently I am untrained in the various forms of common sense rules. Please, I would like to see the common sense list so I can avoid the trout bashers.

Please, I would like to see the common sense list so I can avoid the trout bashers.

Last I checked, trout bashers were something of an endangered species, and only to be found in remote spots in Montana and Northern Ontario.

I'd guess that the advent of Asian Carp has threatened their very existence even further.

So I think you'll be okay, but you might want to stay away from those parts to be certain.

Please, I would like to see the common sense list so I can avoid the trout bashers.

Last I checked, trout bashers were something of an endangered species, and only to be found in remote spots in Montana and Northern Ontario.

I'd guess that the advent of Asian Carp has threatened their very existence even further.

So I think you'll be okay, but you might want to stay away from those parts to be certain.

There's a high concentration of them in Southern Ontario as well, so he would do well to steer clear of these parts too. :evil:

;)

Depends on your definition of "bash". Trout bombing is still practiced in western VA and parts of WV... One could make the case that the use of what is essentially a concussion grenade would qualify as "bashing" :D

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosnt mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?

Wow, that actually works! I didn't even have to slow down to read that. Might be the most interesting thing in this thread.

Worked on me too - Actually come to think of it, it's kind of like playing a jazz solo line -> Just start and end with the right note on a downbeat and all is good!

Eh... I edit the output of speech recognition software on my day job. Every single word in that paragraph was like nails on chalkboard to me. :freak:

Side note: Machines are far, far worse than humans dealing with homonyms. :sick:

Hey, this is a family forum, Dave... watch the language. ;)

Oh, fcuk off!

What? I'm talking about the French Connection UK chain of clothing stores, of course! I'm letting you guys know that they must be "off" in the head for offering the kinds of deals they have right now. Sheesh... :D

It's as interesting as the general mewling that is otherwise filling this thread. :rolleyes:

You mean like the "general mewling" about misspelling an abbreviation? :thu:

My rationale? You assume too much, Sven. Nothing like taking a simple oversight and pointing a finger. Like I said, it hardly stopped you from garnering the meaning, but it did give you yet another opportunity to make an issue out of nothing (not that it has ever stopped you before). I suspect you need to get out more, or perhaps add a touch more fiber to your diet, man.

Enjoy your moment of basking in your obvious grammatical superiority!

:blah::blah::blah:

Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

I suspect you need to get out more, or perhaps add a touch more fiber to your diet, man.

Enjoy your moment of basking in your obvious grammatical superiority!

:blah::blah::blah:

LOL.... man, are you this obtuse in real life, or just online? You actually think I was serious about the HZ thing? As for the rest of it, it's merely my response to your defensive retort... so if anyone needs more fiber, you should probably look closer to home. :thu:

Oh, and if you need help figuring out how to put me on ignore, just let me know. I'd hate to see Mogut become overworked rushing over to give you a hug every time you get your knickers in a knot. :cool:

It's the eggnog. I can't digest it. :facepalm:

Funny, it wasn't long ago that I couldn't even spell Mtecamuil. Now it's my best friend.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/attachments/r-c107-sl-slc-class/276174d1259640613-oops-always-remember-check-simple-stuff-metamucil.jpg

Happy Holidays!

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

I liked this thread better for the few minutes that it was about the SK2.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

LOL.... man, are you this obtuse in real life, or just online? You actually think I was serious about the HZ thing? As for the rest of it, it's merely my response to your defensive retort... so if anyone needs more fiber, you should probably look closer to home. :thu:

Oh, and if you need help figuring out how to put me on ignore, just let me know. I'd hate to see Mogut become overworked rushing over to give you a hug every time you get your knickers in a knot. :cool:

Seriously? You thought I was being serious? I just like to give as good as I get. It's all in good fun, man.

BTW, we likely ALL need more fiber in our diet, so I was just looking out for your health, bro.

Obtuse? Never. I'm down right orthogonal. As for as "ignoring" you. I'm just gonna ignore that you even suggested that. :P

Now, can we get back to the SK2 review that we've managed to derail? Apologies to the OP.

Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

While I too was able to read this very quickly, I suspect that the context, and 'not being too mean' about rearranging the letters, has a LOT to do with it. I am quite certain I can follow the above rules and re-arrange the letters so they are much more difficult to read than the above paragraph. For example, what are these words:

iteonmrpt

rrasceeh

andoicrcg

How about now?

Andoicrcg to iteonmrpt rrasceeh at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy ...

I'm just saying', everyone that confuses correlation with causation eventually ends up dead.

Is it wrong that I mainly come here to laugh at the bitchiness between the old timers, I can't take anything on here seriously anymore, but I do have a good laugh reading.

Wait. That's wrong? Oh, damn...

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

What?

We are all slave's to our brain chemistry!

....exactly 90 days. 40 gigs. Small reggae/rockabilly/R&B trio working in small clubs. Liking the unit mucho. Mainly used in rock organ mode or organ-overlaid-with-heavy- harpsichord-extra voice (gives me a nice "guitarish" note). I play it through a 200 watt Groove Tubes Spacemaster Mark II, using the subwoofer jack extension over to a 200 watt G-K bass amp (to capture the lows and grunt).

Seems durable enough if handled with decent care. Carrying it around in a heavily padded Gator bag (BTW, the Gator 49-key bag fits the 61-key SK1 like a glove). Not a single tech/play hang-up. Wish it had an internal power supply, as I believe the power plug jack will eventually weaken and need repair. Was able to beg an extra back-up power supply from a retailer--I feel fortunate about that. Wish it had more than 10 program buttons. My back and arms love the light weight and small size (turning 62 years old today!). In all, liking all of it, except the inability to slow down the fast rotary to something slower (than 318).

KB: Hammond SK1

Bass KB: Yamaha MX49

KB Amps: CPS SS3, linked to TurboSound IP300

Bass KB amp: Fender Rumble 500 combo

www.mikemickxer.com

www.reverbnation.com/mikemickxer

• 2 months later...

My biggest complaint about the SK2 is being able to find one to test. The limited HS dealer network is what really sucks. Still, I'm anxious to try the SK2, but trying to find one has been difficult.

I have a Nord Electro 3, which is great for simple gigs and/or when I want one keyboard that does it all, has split outputs for piano and organ (so I can use a both sides of a Motion Sound or separate Leslie and keyboard amps), AND fits in my Audi TT. But I continue to prefer the sound of my old 80s Korg BX3 and CX3 organs over digital clones (after my A100) on larger gigs, along with a Yamaha CP300 or P250. However, a double manual all-in-one that would fit in my Audi TT would be much better. So, I have to find an SK2 to try out.

Your mind is on vacation, but your mouth's workin' overtime - Mose Allison.

I've had an SK2 since it came out. No hanging notes. No problems at all. A good player (like B3er) will surely make this swing. I do my best. Stop whining. It's a great board.

Hammond C3, Leslie 122, Steinway B, Wurlitzer 200A, Rhodes 73,

D6 Clav

1- Fiber is important and we all should include a decent amount of it in our daily diets.

2- The Sk1 kicks ass. It sounds awesome, organs are killer, piano is shockingly good (especially for a 'clonewheel' but maybe even in the league of some workstations, better than Korg imo on par with Motif or at least very close)

3- NE's are also awesome. (WHAT?!- you have to hate one and find the other superior in all aspects... BS) yup- I love 'em both. I'll probably own an NE at some point, possibly very soon if I can find the right deal. (see supertiny sound module thread)

STYLE/Stage Presence- Personally I find the all black look on the Sk to be very sexy. I like 'black music' and wear a lot of black clothes, so it fits with my style, I even have a black car and am wearing black socks... I like drawbars too.

B) - nothing beats the real thing. If it ever does, that will be a glorious day, but for now, I am pleased that boards this amazing sounding now weigh less than 20 pounds. I have a friend with permanent back problems from carrying a Leslie up and down stairs to get in and out of gigs... no thanks. Some are fortunate enough to have a real tonewheel Hammond at home, for gigs, the Sk, and NE are fanstic, and a few others are also pretty nice.

-Finally- Why so much hate? I would love to see more people saying - WOW- this is awesome, rather than breaking boards down microscopically to find something to cry about. You want a 420 pound keyboard and a 150 pound amp that weighs less than 17 pounds and sounds amazing with all those functions and capabilities that also doubles as a Rhodes, a Clavinet and a Piano (that combo right there has to weigh close to a ton) and when you get it sadly there is way more whining than praise....

back in the day people used to carry Hammond organs AND leslies up hill both ways in the snow with no shoes on and hand me down socks..... did they complain? (probably, I would have...)

Toys: Hammond SK1, Yamaha Motif ES6, Voce V5+, Virus ti 61, Mason & Hamlin upright, Everett upright, Hammond M3, Korg CX3 analog, Motion Sound Pro145, QSC K10, H&K Rotosphere.. etc

back in the day people used to carry Hammond organs AND leslies up hill both ways in the snow with no shoes on and hand me down socks..... did they complain?

Socks? We didn't even have feet! :laugh:

Regards,

Joe

back in the day people used to carry Hammond organs AND leslies up hill both ways in the snow with no shoes on and hand me down socks..... did they complain?

Socks? We didn't even have feet! :laugh:

Regards,

Joe

I thought the sock were to keep your fingers warm, since you guys couldn't afford gloves. (having pawned all of your worldy possessions for the B3 of course...)

Toys: Hammond SK1, Yamaha Motif ES6, Voce V5+, Virus ti 61, Mason & Hamlin upright, Everett upright, Hammond M3, Korg CX3 analog, Motion Sound Pro145, QSC K10, H&K Rotosphere.. etc

Archived