Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hammond SK2 Review - Gig Tested

b3plyr

Maybe he's been a lurker here for years.

Not possible. He registered 10 days ago.

You know what? Y'all can have your negativity. I don't have time for this shit.

Sorry you feel that way, bro. If you had my job on this forum, you'd understand my cynicism.

If this guy is a real person, and not an account created by a HS rep, he could do himself a lot of favors by coming back here and answering the criticism leveled at his post.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I will admit that that the review seemed a bit suspect, the reality is that currently, there is currently no competition for the SK2 (double manual with drawbars and other sounds).

So one has to wonder why anyone, Hammond sales rep or not, would go to such lengths to fictionally promote a product with no competition?

Certainly, there are more effective ways to promote one's self interest in a product (such as spreading false rumours of product bugs etc.) although one would hope that we are all beyond such low measures on this forum.

That said, perhaps a private message to the OP to stand up and dispel the conspiracy theory might alleviate a few concerns so I'll do that and see if that provokes a response.

FWIW, my SK-1 has been great, knock on wood. It sounds great and the extra voices are very usable. Now, if I could just get an extra power supply. Latest word is "they're on order"...

Jim Wells

Tallahassee, FL

www.pureplatinumband.com

I've had my SK-1 for close to a month now. It has worked flawlessly. With one caveat. I suggest using a USB drive no larger than 4 GB to install software updates. I've tried several different 8 and 16 Gb drives and I don't have confidence that the updates (or backdates) always finished correctly. A couple of times with the 16Gb drives either the formatting didn't seem to go correctly or the update continued long enough that I stopped it and once when it finished I had a few stuck notes after powering back on. I powered off and back on and it worked fine. Still, I reinstalled the OS using a smaller drive and it worked perfectly. Although with the 8Gb drives the update seemed to finish correctly I noticed something I couldn't duplicate so I re-installed the OS and IIRC, once the initial format in the SK-1 didn't finish. I've not had any trouble loading setup files to and retrieving them from the larger drives. I haven't tried music files in them yet.

The bottom line for me is use smaller USB drives for OS updates to be safe.

I will not stoop to the level of some of the SK discussions on this board, and this is my final post for this thread. I just don't go for conspiracy theories and unfounded accusations. Personally, I would never call a person's integrity into question sight unseen - much less on a single post. Question, yes, accuse, no.

However, in fairness to others:

1. I tried to write an objective review to counter what I consider some very biased opinions on this forum regarding the SK series. I joined the forum specifically for this purpose after it became clear to me that many people had never seen, much less played, an SK - much of what some of these people were saying was just plain wrong. I own and have played an SK2 live, so why shouldn't I provide that information? So, the only reasons for my post were to provide my opinion and because I truly like the SK2.

2. I am a musician (and audio engineer) like many of you.

3. No one at HS or anywhere else asked me or encouraged me to write a review of the SK2.

4. I alerted everyone upfront that I was cross posting.

5. No, I don't have many posts. I post only if I feel I have something to add to the topic. And while I don't mind providing extra information where appropriate, I don't like spending time defending myself.

6. I stand by my review - use it as you see fit.

Its refreshing to read a review as there is a lot of anti-Hammond rhetoric on this forum from a few members.

Coming from Mr. Anti-Nord, this is rich.

I'm not "Anti" anything really the Nords have their place. I call it like I see it. I knew you would show up on this thread sooner or later.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

I find the cynicism and rudeness in this thread and the main SK thread to be unwarranted and offensive.

The only thing I fine MORE unwarranted and offensive, is that fact that one of our forumites is on their FIFTH SK1. Seriously, doesn't that bother you in the least?

I'm as big a fanboy of the HZ family of products as the next guy, but seriously? Five units in as as many months?

While I don't subscribe to the "new poster" being "Scott May" theory, I've heard about many buggy SK1 units in the field, and not just from this forum.

Come on HZ, you have a real strong legacy to protect. It's time to get it together, wouldn't you say?

Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

While I understand some contributors' frustration at the cynicism exhibited in this thread, I do feel that Scott's approach to dealing with this forum has not helped.

Whatever his motives or intentions, the broadbrush effect of his posts has been to create the impression that his presence on these boards has been solely marketing-related.

On an admittedly cursory search, I can only find one reference from him to the bug which has hit the SK series. In it, he says:

Yes there is a little bug that has hit few units - where notes cipher - we know about it and are working on it.

That was in July.

Scott, this is not a "little bug", some esoteric quirk of the OS. This is something audiences can hear, and which can make them believe you're incompetent, i.e. playing a "wrong note". Lord knows, there are enough flaws in my own performances without an instrument adding them for me.

Look, if you want to stem the tide of cynicism here on KC, here's your opportunity. Can you please tell us:

* What exactly does H-S know about the nature and extent of this problem? Is it hardware or software-related? Under what circumstances does it typically occur? Is there a way of avoiding it happening (e.g. staying off certain features)?

* What progress have H-S made towards resolving the problem?

* Do you know how many units are affected, percentage-wise?

Honest answers to those kind of key questions might just make things a bit more positive around here.

Being in journalism and PR myself, I can understand the instinct to play down problems, but there are times when putting your hand up and offering full and frank disclosure is the better option. I honestly think this is one of them.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

GOD the SK seems to be real real nice :-)

...and I am still waiting...

Hope I get it before christmas :-)

NS2 88, Yamaha Cp300, Moog Little Phatty, Hammond Sk2, Roland Fantom X6, Ventilator, Nord C2D, Leslie 3300, Leslie 122

Can you please tell us:

* What exactly does H-S know about the nature and extent of this problem? Is it hardware or software-related? Under what circumstances does it typically occur? Is there a way of avoiding it happening (e.g. staying off certain features)?

* What progress have H-S made towards resolving the problem?

* Do you know how many units are affected, percentage-wise?

Honest answers to those kind of key questions might just make things a bit more positive around here.

Being in journalism and PR myself, I can understand the instinct to play down problems, but there are times when putting your hand up and offering full and frank disclosure is the better option. I honestly think this is one of them.

I can only think of one company that ever exercises this kind of candor, and that's Kurzweil (Dave Weiser). Everyone else plays their cards close to their vest. Scott May's presence on this forum and his candid comments actually put HK closer to Kurzweil than other manufacturers. Scott May is no Dave Weiser, but I appreciated his efforts.

I suppose I could have waited until all the bugs were worked out to get my SK1, but then I wouldn't have my SK1, and that would suck, because it's a great little gig machine, a worthy rival to the Nord Stage compact. And fortunately, it boots up extremely quickly, so if I do someday encounter a hanging note, I should be able to minimize the damage.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

This whole idea of a H/z employee floating a post on any forum is somewhat distasteful, but until proven you have to take it as it is.....

Regarding product dependability, when I see big acts using the SK1/2 in their performances, then I know that the instrument is stable and reliable. Up to this point, I have not seen it. In fact, even some of the Hammond endorsees/employees on this forum are still not gigging with these keyboards. I believe that says it all....

And H/z does have some serious competition out there now.... The Mojo seems to be kicking ass....

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

, when I see big acts using the SK1/2 in their performances, then I know that the instrument is stable and reliable.

"big acts" would probably go with other options, such as the XK3c and a weighted keyboard for piano. I don't see the SK1 as being aimed at big acts, I see it being aimed at the player who has a very limited transportation budget.

I'll do fly gigs maybe 2-3 times a year, but my daily grind is much more the issue. Tomorrow I'll play from 12-1 and 4-7, and both gigs have difficult parking and difficult access. Taking my CP5 would be a major PITA. Haven't decided yet, but even taking the NE3HP+SK1 might be more trouble than it's worth. I might just do both with the SK1.

I'm interested in opinions of people who, like me, are out there gigging and have to make hard choices about how much they can carry. Armchair critics can kvetch all they want, they don't have the same choices to make.

, when I see big acts using the SK1/2 in their performances, then I know that the instrument is stable and reliable.

"big acts" would probably go with other options, such as the XK3c and a weighted keyboard for piano. I don't see the SK1 as being aimed at big acts, I see it being aimed at the player who has a very limited transportation budget.

I guess it depends on what you mean by "big acts"...for platinum record acts which have dedicated keyboard roadies, you are probably correct. But if "big act" means "any act big enough to be on national television", I see a lot more Nords on Letterman/Leno/Conan than I do Hammond clones. Granted most of those keyboardists are not Hammond purists...but the point about reliability is orthogonal to the question of authenticity. (And yes, I know....most of those bands are pretty bad.)

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

I guess it depends on what you mean by "big acts"...for platinum record acts which have dedicated keyboard roadies, you are probably correct. But if "big act" means "any act big enough to be on national television", I see a lot more Nords on Letterman/Leno/Conan than I do Hammond clones. Granted most of those keyboardists are not Hammond purists...but the point about reliability is orthogonal to the question of authenticity. (And yes, I know....most of those bands are pretty bad.)

You don't know whether those keyboards were brought with the band or backlined. Backlining companies tend to lag behind the curve somewhat. They will use existing gear for as long as they can. If they get lots of requests for a certain keyboard, eventually they might buy it.

You don't know whether those keyboards were brought with the band or backlined. Backlining companies tend to lag behind the curve somewhat. They will use existing gear for as long as they can. If they get lots of requests for a certain keyboard, eventually they might buy it.

True, I don't know. But presumably reliability would be part of their decision also. Just to be clear: I have no experience with the SK1/SK2 and have no opinion on it. I just think that HammondDave's point has some relevance. Let's turn it around: if in a year, I started seeing lots of SK1's on Letterman/Conan/Leno (regardless of who is making the decision to put it on stage), then I would be more likely to believe in its reliability. That wouldn't be the only data point, but it would be a good sign for Hammond-Suzuki, right?

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

True, I don't know. But presumably reliability would be part of their decision also. Just to be clear: I have no experience with the SK1/SK2 and have no opinion on it. I just think that HammondDave's point has some relevance. Let's turn it around: if in a year, I started seeing lots of SK1's on Letterman/Conan/Leno (regardless of who is making the decision to put it on stage), then I would be more likely to believe in its reliability. That wouldn't be the only data point, but it would be a good sign for Hammond-Suzuki, right?

How to judge reliability is an interesting question. Every piece of data is worth considering, but you also have to consider the bias in the data. I don't watch late night television, but if I saw an artist that I respected using something, it would influence me. Then again, I don't expect John Medeski to use an SK1, because he doesn't use digital keyboards whatsoever. His needs and his resources are very different than mine.

All I want to know is how "Hammond-Suzuki" gets shortened to "HZ"?

This whole idea of a H/z employee ...

And H/z does have...

the HZ family of products ...

Come on HZ...

It didn't seem to stop you from getting the meaning, did it? :thu:

This would be important, why? Slow news day, Sven?

Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

At least he stopped calling them "Suzuki."

Su... zu... what?

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

If that's your rationale, why bother with any of the norms of written communication? Why not just randomly hit a bunch of keys, and we'll derive your meaning from the thread you've posted in? :snax:

It's as interesting as the general mewling that is otherwise filling this thread. :rolleyes:

mewling
(esp. of a baby) cry feebly or querulously; whimper:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

You guys are a riot! Just to be clear... I gigged with H/S(zzzzz) products for about six years. Three or four times a week. Big venues and small... In all those gigs there has been only ONE (1) failure of my rig. Not bad...

Past performance does not mean that any new product will be dependable. And I have no idea how dependable the new SK1/2 may be. I can only judge by what is reported here...

But the reason why many professional acts select equipment is dependability... and also how available that equipment is in remote locations... like Oslo, for instance.

While in Oslo last year I asked the keyboard player from a very reputable band why he was touring with a Korg CX3... He told me that although he is not crazy about the Korg sound, and that he preferred the XK3c, the road company insisted that he use the CX3 because "replacements are found everywhere"... and that they "never break down". He was pretty pissed at that.

If that's your rationale, why bother with any of the norms of written communication? Why not just randomly hit a bunch of keys, and we'll derive your meaning from the thread you've posted in? :snax:

It's as interesting as the general mewling that is otherwise filling this thread. :rolleyes:

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosnt mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?

:laugh:

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Great Idea!!!!!

ediufh2puhcrbvp24fh2ryf2rjfk2rjnfuhpfn

Got it?

Archived