Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hammond SK2 Review - Gig Tested

b3plyr

ALERT this is a long post and I will cross post.

OK, I've had my SK2 for a few weeks and finally gigged with it at a Blues gig. My impressions are based on the gig and in comparing with my Nord C1, Electro 3, and Hammond A105. I will summarize, and then attempt a Myth Buster's approach to some comments similar to those posted under the SK1 More Leakage topic. Just remember these are my opinions, and your impressions may well vary.

Summary. From some of the prior posts one might infer, as with Rodney Dangerfield, the SK series is not getting any respect. It should. The SK2 absolutely delivers on it's promises. I just installed the 4th OS update and some new, very nice Chamber String library sounds, so HS is living up to their promise to upgrade. Except for the A105, the organ sounds are simply better than anything I have. Yes, even the Electro 3 and C1. It also sounds better to me than the XK3 system I had. Primarily because of the C/V, percussion, and Leslie improvements. But what I have noticed is that this organ wails over the entire range. The Leslie is absolutely amazing. And incredibly tweakable. The Rhodes and Wurly are good (they fixed some of the Wurly issues in an OS update), but I won't say they are quite as good as the Nord - yet. However, the difference is not much in a gig environment. On the other hand, a better description might be they are different, not worse. And HS will be continuing to tweak. The real surprises are the acoustic piano sounds. They are great in a mix, and even sound good solo. The keybed is subtly different from the Nord, and although not a weighted keyboard, it makes playing the pianos fun and effective. The overdrive will need some work still, but one problem for some has been that the "Tube" overdrive was not selected. It does make a big difference. I would also have preferred a direct computer to SK interface instead of the memory stick. Having said that, the stick process works great and is easy to do.

Bottom line. The keyboard is well built, fun to play, and really sounds good. The weight and size are great. HS has shown they are serious about upgrades. I do not care for the external power supply and the overdrive still needs a bit of work. Don't judge your purchase on internet audio - you really need to hear this board in person. You can get by with the SK2 as a single board at most any gig - probably not for a classical piano concert, though. Read Stephen Fortner's review of the SK1 in Keyboard Magazine for additional, and I might add, very accurate, information.

Myth 1. "It has no stage presence". Partly TRUE but only for the SK1. Some think the small SK1 has no stage presence, and certainly in terms of a massive B3 they are correct. But on the other hand, the small and charming SK1 makes up for size with its sound. The SK2, however, is another story. It looks great on stage and definitely has stage presence. In reality, I'm more interested in the sound, playability, and portability. I got rid of my XK pro because it was too heavy and too much trouble to setup for a small gig.

Myth 2. "The Wurly sounds terrible". FALSE. The first version may not sound have sounded all that good, particularly on YouTube, but the revised version sounds very good - probably as good as the Nord.

Myth 3. "The overdrive is horrible." FALSE. There are 4 overdrives you can select from. The best currently is "Tube", and as luck may be, many of the on-line demos do not use this selection. However, in fairness, the overdrive still does need some work,

Myth 3. "I Can't Stand External Power Supplies". TRUE, but understandable. The SK1 does not have room internally for a power supply. Since the SK2 is simply an SK1 with some different software and a 2nd Midi keyboard, it is understandable that Hammond would not design a separate circuit board with internal power supply for the SK2. However, the power supply is one of the first elements to fail in a portable instrument, so looking at the half full glass, this may not be as bad as you think.

Myth 5. "My Numa sounds better, my VB3 sounds better, my Superkey61 sounds better". TRUE and FALSE. This one is up to the individual. My two favorites remain the SK2 and the Nord, in that order. All second to the real thing, of course.

Myth 6. "The SK has a terrible interface. It is not the traditional Hammond layout." FALSE and TRUE. The interface works fine for a multi-purpose keyboard. No, it is not the traditional interface. Neither is the XK3C with the Midi and Mod and Pitch wheels. I actually like the layout now that I have become used to it. It is well laid out for the performing keyboardist.

Myth 7. "One set of drawbars on a two manual keyboard, this is a deal breaker" FALSE. First, there is not enough room to put a second set of drawbars on the SK2 and still keep it compact, one of its compelling features. However, HS did place the three drawbar selector buttons where it is very easy to change the assignments. I have not accidentally grabbed the wrong drawbars, not even once. And as I said, you can easily change on the fly. But practically speaking, most of the real drawbar changes are on the upper manual. If you are a Jazz musician you usually play bass on the lower keyboard and set to 838000000 or so or choose "Manual" to couple the pedals to the lower keyboard on the SK. If you are playing other stuff most (I know, not all) set and don't change or simply use a preset. What is perhaps more important with the SK2 is it is really designed to not only be a dual manual organ but to facilitate organ on one manual and an extra voice on the other. This is what I found myself doing at the blues gig. I found that I changed my style a bit and that this flexibility was very useful. And you can switch the two keyboard assignments back and forth with one button.

Myth 8. "These are not real drawbars" FALSE. They move, act, and operate much like the latchless drawbars on your big Hammond. Another advantage is that they are supported vertically so there is no movement in that direction. Someone mentioned that dust would get into the slots and thus longitudinal potentiometers. Unlikely, as there is a sealing mechanism to prevent this. I really like these drawbars.

Myth 9. "I can use drawLeds as well as real drawbars". FALSE. I used to think this myself. But when I put the SK2 next to my Electro 3 I found out that you just can't do this. We that own Nords get into a way of using the drawLeds that works, but in reality we are limiting ourselves. The bottom line is resolution and speed of resolution. I found that especially when playing ballads there is no comparison. As much as I tried to get the same results, I just could not.

Myth 10. "Leslie sim sounds just like my XK3c or Nord C1." FALSE. Put the two side by side and listen. There is a huge difference, and there are all kinds of tweaks available for the SK Leslie sim.

Myth 11. "My Nord has more/better sounds than the SK". TRUE and FALSE. The organ on the SK is superior, the piano's are comparable, the Clavs are much better on the SK. But yes, you have far more sounds in the Nord sample library (applies to Electro and Wave, NOT the dual manual C1/C2 which are strictly organs). And they are very good. However, how many years did it take Nord to get there? This is HS's first real attempt (extra sounds in XK3/XK1 are not the same as the SK series). And they have already shown they will improve them (Wurly) and add (Chamber Strings, Bells).

Myth 12. "The lack of selectable upper and lower trigger points is a deal breaker" FALSE and TRUE. I have not found this to be a problem. In fact, it does ensure synchronized triggering of the organ and Extravoices. However, depending on your style of play, and if you have had a Nord Stage, this may bother you.

Myth 13. "You must work for HS based on this review". FALSE. I have seen far too much misinformation on the SK so thought I would do my best to be objective. I still have the two Nords, but my gig board is currently just the SK2. HS still can innovate, and they have done so on this keyboard.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks!

How would you compare the trigger points to a real organ such as your A105?

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

GREAT review. I received mine on Thursday and have been playing/tweaking/programming hoping to take it out on a gig tomorrow. So far I am happier than I could have guessed, and you are SO right, everything is so tweakable that given some time you can really personalize the thing and get it sounding phenomenal. I plugged it into the same pre-amp pedal to a leslie as my A-100 and have been tweaking based on the A-100 and it is pretty amazing the results I'm getting. As far as the leslie simulation, I'm shocked how good it sounds once you tweak it. I have been playing the SK through some Mackie HR824's, Mackie Thumps, JBL Eons, and basically trying to duplicate the way my leslie sounds and am having some really incredible results. I also have no affiliation with Hammond employment wise, just praising a great instrument!
Music.

Just remember these are my opinions, and your impressions may well vary.

Myth 13. "You must work for HS based on this review".

:snax:

Damage control?

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Damage control?

+1

Cross posting, no introduction, and Scott May pops up right after this review is posted. :rolleyes:

ALERT this is a long post and I will cross post.

OK, I've had my SK2 for a few weeks and finally gigged with it at a Blues gig. My impressions are based on the gig and in comparing with my Nord C1, Electro 3, and Hammond A105. I will summarize, and then attempt a Myth Buster's approach to some comments similar to those posted under the SK1 More Leakage topic. Just remember these are my opinions, and your impressions may well vary.

Summary. From some of the prior posts one might infer, as with Rodney Dangerfield, the SK series is not getting any respect. It should. The SK2 absolutely delivers on it's promises. I just installed the 4th OS update and some new, very nice Chamber String library sounds, so HS is living up to their promise to upgrade. Except for the A105, the organ sounds are simply better than anything I have. Yes, even the Electro 3 and C1. It also sounds better to me than the XK3 system I had. Primarily because of the C/V, percussion, and Leslie improvements. But what I have noticed is that this organ wails over the entire range. The Leslie is absolutely amazing. And incredibly tweakable. The Rhodes and Wurly are good (they fixed some of the Wurly issues in an OS update), but I won't say they are quite as good as the Nord - yet. However, the difference is not much in a gig environment. On the other hand, a better description might be they are different, not worse. And HS will be continuing to tweak. The real surprises are the acoustic piano sounds. They are great in a mix, and even sound good solo. The keybed is subtly different from the Nord, and although not a weighted keyboard, it makes playing the pianos fun and effective. The overdrive will need some work still, but one problem for some has been that the "Tube" overdrive was not selected. It does make a big difference. I would also have preferred a direct computer to SK interface instead of the memory stick. Having said that, the stick process works great and is easy to do.

Bottom line. The keyboard is well built, fun to play, and really sounds good. The weight and size are great. HS has shown they are serious about upgrades. I do not care for the external power supply and the overdrive still needs a bit of work. Don't judge your purchase on internet audio - you really need to hear this board in person. You can get by with the SK2 as a single board at most any gig - probably not for a classical piano concert, though. Read Stephen Fortner's review of the SK1 in Keyboard Magazine for additional, and I might add, very accurate, information.

Myth 1. "It has no stage presence". Partly TRUE but only for the SK1. Some think the small SK1 has no stage presence, and certainly in terms of a massive B3 they are correct. But on the other hand, the small and charming SK1 makes up for size with its sound. The SK2, however, is another story. It looks great on stage and definitely has stage presence. In reality, I'm more interested in the sound, playability, and portability. I got rid of my XK pro because it was too heavy and too much trouble to setup for a small gig.

Myth 2. "The Wurly sounds terrible". FALSE. The first version may not sound have sounded all that good, particularly on YouTube, but the revised version sounds very good - probably as good as the Nord.

Myth 3. "The overdrive is horrible." FALSE. There are 4 overdrives you can select from. The best currently is "Tube", and as luck may be, many of the on-line demos do not use this selection. However, in fairness, the overdrive still does need some work,

Myth 3. "I Can't Stand External Power Supplies". TRUE, but understandable. The SK1 does not have room internally for a power supply. Since the SK2 is simply an SK1 with some different software and a 2nd Midi keyboard, it is understandable that Hammond would not design a separate circuit board with internal power supply for the SK2. However, the power supply is one of the first elements to fail in a portable instrument, so looking at the half full glass, this may not be as bad as you think.

Myth 5. "My Numa sounds better, my VB3 sounds better, my Superkey61 sounds better". TRUE and FALSE. This one is up to the individual. My two favorites remain the SK2 and the Nord, in that order. All second to the real thing, of course.

Myth 6. "The SK has a terrible interface. It is not the traditional Hammond layout." FALSE and TRUE. The interface works fine for a multi-purpose keyboard. No, it is not the traditional interface. Neither is the XK3C with the Midi and Mod and Pitch wheels. I actually like the layout now that I have become used to it. It is well laid out for the performing keyboardist.

Myth 7. "One set of drawbars on a two manual keyboard, this is a deal breaker" FALSE. First, there is not enough room to put a second set of drawbars on the SK2 and still keep it compact, one of its compelling features. However, HS did place the three drawbar selector buttons where it is very easy to change the assignments. I have not accidentally grabbed the wrong drawbars, not even once. And as I said, you can easily change on the fly. But practically speaking, most of the real drawbar changes are on the upper manual. If you are a Jazz musician you usually play bass on the lower keyboard and set to 838000000 or so or choose "Manual" to couple the pedals to the lower keyboard on the SK. If you are playing other stuff most (I know, not all) set and don't change or simply use a preset. What is perhaps more important with the SK2 is it is really designed to not only be a dual manual organ but to facilitate organ on one manual and an extra voice on the other. This is what I found myself doing at the blues gig. I found that I changed my style a bit and that this flexibility was very useful. And you can switch the two keyboard assignments back and forth with one button.

Myth 8. "These are not real drawbars" FALSE. They move, act, and operate much like the latchless drawbars on your big Hammond. Another advantage is that they are supported vertically so there is no movement in that direction. Someone mentioned that dust would get into the slots and thus longitudinal potentiometers. Unlikely, as there is a sealing mechanism to prevent this. I really like these drawbars.

Myth 9. "I can use drawLeds as well as real drawbars". FALSE. I used to think this myself. But when I put the SK2 next to my Electro 3 I found out that you just can't do this. We that own Nords get into a way of using the drawLeds that works, but in reality we are limiting ourselves. The bottom line is resolution and speed of resolution. I found that especially when playing ballads there is no comparison. As much as I tried to get the same results, I just could not.

Myth 10. "Leslie sim sounds just like my XK3c or Nord C1." FALSE. Put the two side by side and listen. There is a huge difference, and there are all kinds of tweaks available for the SK Leslie sim.

Myth 11. "My Nord has more/better sounds than the SK". TRUE and FALSE. The organ on the SK is superior, the piano's are comparable, the Clavs are much better on the SK. But yes, you have far more sounds in the Nord sample library (applies to Electro and Wave, NOT the dual manual C1/C2 which are strictly organs). And they are very good. However, how many years did it take Nord to get there? This is HS's first real attempt (extra sounds in XK3/XK1 are not the same as the SK series). And they have already shown they will improve them (Wurly) and add (Chamber Strings, Bells).

Myth 12. "The lack of selectable upper and lower trigger points is a deal breaker" FALSE and TRUE. I have not found this to be a problem. In fact, it does ensure synchronized triggering of the organ and Extravoices. However, depending on your style of play, and if you have had a Nord Stage, this may bother you.

Myth 13. "You must work for HS based on this review". FALSE. I have seen far too much misinformation on the SK so thought I would do my best to be objective. I still have the two Nords, but my gig board is currently just the SK2. HS still can innovate, and they have done so on this keyboard.

Thanks for that honest review. I am glad you are liking the SK-2, I may get one myself. Its refreshing to read a review as there is a lot of anti-Hammond rhetoric on this forum from a few members.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Its refreshing to read a review as there is a lot of anti-Hammond rhetoric on this forum from a few members.

I don't have an agenda.

But this post really bothered me, from THIS THREAD.

An update: Hammond-USA will be sending me a new SK1 on Monday (my FIFTH!). I hope that will be the end of this saga! Spike

Wow. This speaks volumes.

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Its refreshing to read a review as there is a lot of anti-Hammond rhetoric on this forum from a few members.

I don't have an agenda.

But this post really bothered me, from THIS THREAD.

An update: Hammond-USA will be sending me a new SK1 on Monday (my FIFTH!). I hope that will be the end of this saga! Spike

Wow. This speaks volumes.

Tom

I'd call that phenomenal customer service!!! :idea:

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Damage control?

+1

Cross posting, no introduction, and Scott May pops up right after this review is posted. :rolleyes:

:laugh:

"The purple piper plays his tune, The choir softly sing; Three lullabies in an ancient tongue, For the court of the crimson king"

Really, Dan?

The customer had to return the defective keyboard and receive five replacement boards because the product wasn't ready for primetime, and you call that phenomenal customer service?

I call it poor quality control, and truly insulting to all of us who put our faith in the products from this manufacturer.

Considering the inconvenience of shipping it back, plus the time the customer was without the keyboard, plus the time he spent with the manufacturer's representative trying to troubleshoot the problem, not to mention the general aggravation, I would really be pissed if I had to return a keyboard for five others and hope that I have no further problems.

And frankly, this would make me lose faith in the manufacturer - for good.

No, this isn't phenomenal customer service, Dan. This is a manufacturer doing blatant damage control because the company released a product before it was thoroughly tested.

There is no excuse for consumers to be beta testers for manufacturers who try to rush a product to market.

It doesn't matter how good this keyboard sounds, I would turn and walk run away from it as fast as possible.

So, this post by someone who, at the time he wrote it, had only one other post - and that was a cross post in another thread on this forum spouting the same propaganda, makes me highly suspicious of the manufacturer - and particularly the decision-making abilities of the manufacturer's representatives.

For a stranger to write a post such as the one at the top of this thread is simply a slap in the face to those who purchased, or had thought about purchasing their products.

Obviously, this manufacturer believes that their target market for this product - that's us -are foolish enough to believe this post is legitimate.

Frankly, I am insulted. I think that everyone here should be as well.

And one more thing - don't tell me that all new products have bugs and consumers should expect that if they purchase any new product shortly after it becomes available that they are taking a big risk. I have purchased many new products by reputable manufacturers that have not had any problems whatsoever.

No. I am not going to give manufacturers the luxury to use this excuse. Putting products on the market before they are ready, and expecting consumers to be sympathetic is wrong. I expect better. You should too. This is NOT phenomenal customer service, Dan.

What if you purchased an automobile, only to have so many problems with it that you returned it to the dealer four times and now you're driving around the city in your fifth automobile hoping and praying that it won't act up again leaving you stranded beside the highway?

Would you continue to beat your head against the wall? Would you buy again from this manufacturer?

Luckily, for automobiles we have the Lemon Law. Perhaps we need to put this in place for manufacturers such as this one too.

I surely hope not.

Have a good day, Dan.

Tom

Coming from Mr. Anti-Nord, this is rich.

I thought he was Mr. Anti-Roland-Organ. :idk:

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I talked to a friend of mine over the weekend (also a HZ dealer) and he told me that the software bug for the hanging notes is still a problem, and he gigs with his SK1 and regularly has to do a restart.

At this point, I've decided to forgo getting either SK units until the dust settles. It's been going on too long for too many people.

Will I be turned off from HZ products for good. No way. I just won't EVER be the first guy playing my order.

Seriously . . . . FIVE units. Tell me thats not excessive!!

Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

+1

I think we all know B3plyr IS actually Scott May pretending to be a more-than-happy buyer, while the reality showed us otherwise (Our friend sending his SK back 5 times). I don't think we're that dumb to believe this thread is legitimate.

"The purple piper plays his tune, The choir softly sing; Three lullabies in an ancient tongue, For the court of the crimson king"

New gear is overrated. I never buy 1st year anything, if it cost more than a grand.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I think anyone who wants to have real credibility on a forum like this should reveal who they are. What's the point of hiding our identity, anyway? I've never understood that.

I'm still waiting for the first hanging on my SK1. Lately I've been using it even on gigs where my piano/organ ration is 80/20. The piano sound is really that useable.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Jeebus, you guys are paranoid.

The original post was also submitted to the XK3_Hammond Yahoo Users Group today and the person who submitted it over there has been a member of that list since 2005 (way before Scott May started working for Hammond) and has many posts detailing his live rig and asking questions about all sorts of products.

Are we really that cynical here?

He also posted to the Yahoo! Clonewheel group. If I read it right, he's been on there since at least 2004, though only a total of about six posts.

I think we all know B3plyr IS actually Scott May pretending to be a more-than-happy buyer

Go read any post here by Scott May and you'll realize that B3plyr is NOT Scott May. Whether he was encouraged to post by Scott May is another matter.

Really, Dan?

The customer had to return the defective keyboard and receive five replacement boards because the product wasn't ready for primetime, and you call that phenomenal customer service?

I call it poor quality control, and truly insulting to all of us who put our faith in the products from this manufacturer.

Considering the inconvenience of shipping it back, plus the time the customer was without the keyboard, plus the time he spent with the manufacturer's representative trying to troubleshoot the problem, not to mention the general aggravation, I would really be pissed if I had to return a keyboard for five others and hope that I have no further problems.

And frankly, this would make me lose faith in the manufacturer - for good.

No, this isn't phenomenal customer service, Dan. This is a manufacturer doing blatant damage control because the company released a product before it was thoroughly tested.

There is no excuse for consumers to be beta testers for manufacturers who try to rush a product to market.

It doesn't matter how good this keyboard sounds, I would turn and walk run away from it as fast as possible.

So, this post by someone who, at the time he wrote it, had only one other post - and that was a cross post in another thread on this forum spouting the same propaganda, makes me highly suspicious of the manufacturer - and particularly the decision-making abilities of the manufacturer's representatives.

For a stranger to write a post such as the one at the top of this thread is simply a slap in the face to those who purchased, or had thought about purchasing their products.

Obviously, this manufacturer believes that their target market for this product - that's us -are foolish enough to believe this post is legitimate.

Frankly, I am insulted. I think that everyone here should be as well.

And one more thing - don't tell me that all new products have bugs and consumers should expect that if they purchase any new product shortly after it becomes available that they are taking a big risk. I have purchased many new products by reputable manufacturers that have not had any problems whatsoever.

No. I am not going to give manufacturers the luxury to use this excuse. Putting products on the market before they are ready, and expecting consumers to be sympathetic is wrong. I expect better. You should too. This is NOT phenomenal customer service, Dan.

What if you purchased an automobile, only to have so many problems with it that you returned it to the dealer four times and now you're driving around the city in your fifth automobile hoping and praying that it won't act up again leaving you stranded beside the highway?

Would you continue to beat your head against the wall? Would you buy again from this manufacturer?

Luckily, for automobiles we have the Lemon Law. Perhaps we need to put this in place for manufacturers such as this one too.

I surely hope not.

Have a good day, Dan.

Tom

I'm sorry I prompted such a long reply- I was being 100% sarcastic in my post! Where are those sarcasm emoticons when you need them?

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

He also posted to the Yahoo! Clonewheel group. If I read it right, he's been on there since at least 2004, though only a total of about six posts.

I think we all know B3plyr IS actually Scott May pretending to be a more-than-happy buyer

Go read any post here by Scott May and you'll realize that B3plyr is NOT Scott May. Whether he was encouraged to post by Scott May is another matter.

I found 16 messages from him (user kurz26), starting in 2005, dealing with Leslies, keyboard stands, speakers, and starting in April of this year, the SK2.

I find the cynicism and rudeness in this thread and the main SK thread to be unwarranted and offensive.

Yeah, i should've added "or someone he knows".

But given the data provided in the thread that is still unsubstatiated conjecture. You all just got Hammond envy. LOL

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Whether he was encouraged to post by Scott May is another matter.

I found 16 messages from him (user kurz26), starting in 2005, dealing with Leslies, keyboard stands, speakers, and starting in April of this year, the SK2.

I find the cynicism and rudeness in this thread and the main SK thread to be unwarranted and offensive.

Maybe I should have left that last part out. I wasn't trying to say Mr. May did encourage him to post. However, we've had manufacturers do that before.

Wow!

To the OP: You didn't address by far the most important issue in the minds of those of us who are thinking about adding an SK to our rig...

Have you had any problems with it?

A brief description of the hours you have on it and the types of gigs you've been doing would also be helpful.

What's really out of line is that a product rep pimps his product relentlessly on this forum, berates forum members for having opinions that differ from his, bails, and subsequently hasn't once addressed the issues people are having with those products.

I'm sorry I prompted such a long reply- I was being 100% sarcastic in my post! Where are those sarcasm emoticons when you need them?

:)

Oh. :blush:

Well, five new boards is still a lot.

I'm not trying to be rude or cynical.

Happy holidays!

Tom

Well I think that Scott May errr B3player did his job well. Reading through the OP, I was salivating and started to crave the SK2. I could ditch my C1 and DP and have just one board with better clavs than Nord.

Then you guys bring me down to reality with the whole cypher bug thing and that the "gig tested" review is just marketing spiel.

Like B3-er said maybe it isn't Scott but maybe it's that tatted up chick in the promotional video and literature that is posting these glowing reviews.

D

Rudeness maybe unwarranted, but cynicism? Come on, man. Even I am (still) skeptical of the veracity of this "review", despite your statement about it being crossposted on a Yahoo group. In fact, your statement about the crosspost over there makes me even more suspicious, that this person would go through all this extra trouble to come register here to post this and nothing else out of the blue. What possible motivation could this person have to all of a sudden decide to come to the KC and post this review that he already posted somewhere (I assume) he has at least a decent reputation (though 16 posts in 6 years is hardly a rep)?

As far as longevity is concerned, we just banned a member here a few weeks ago who had been registered for 9 years.

Why? Because over the course of that 9 years, the sum of his 30 or so posts (including the blitz I had to clean up, warn him to stop, and then request a ban over) were all promoting books that he wrote.

So longevity doesn't carry a lot of weight with me if it doesn't also include a pretty potent body of posts, not necessarily quantity, but at least quality.

Rudeness maybe unwarranted, but cynicism? Come on, man. Even I am (still) skeptical of the veracity of this "review", despite your statement about it being crossposted on a Yahoo group. In fact, your statement about the crosspost over there makes me even more suspicious, that this person would go through all this extra trouble to come register here to post this and nothing else out of the blue. What possible motivation could this person have to all of a sudden decide to come to the KC and post this review that he already posted somewhere (I assume) he has at least a decent reputation (though 16 posts in 6 years is hardly a rep)?

Maybe he's been a lurker here for years. Maybe he wanted to defend an instrument that continually gets shit on here by a small contingent of folks who haven't even touched one. Maybe he's a longtime Keyboard Magazine reader and wanted to add his two cents. But I guess it's just easier to assume we're all being put on by Hammond and it's evil minions, spreading lies and misinformation on the internets to boost their own products. SCOTT MAY!!! DAMN YOU AND YOUR ALTER EGOS!!!!

[shakes fist mightily!]

For real?

You know what? Y'all can have your negativity. I don't have time for this shit.

Archived