Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What bands compare groove wise with TOP, EWF, James B, etc?

I am older, somewhat annoying dude around here, But I have a more open mind than it might appear.

So name some really hot, hard driving cuts, post, 1999!! Bands whose genesis was after 1999.

Now I am not talking technique unto itself, I am talking about an intense groove machine.

Here are some artists/ bands, that comes to mind from the mid to late 20th century.

James B

Average White Band

Stuff with Richard Tee

most band Steve Gadd graced

Earth W fire

Eddie palmeri

Tower O P

Tommy Sims

Michael McDonald

Marcus Miller

Herbie's Hancock's Headhunter band

Chick Corea's Return to Forever

early Motown hits- though as time went forward, the groove weakened

Jaco

Elvin Jones

Tony Williams

So many cuts, but here are a few good ones

Bonnie Raitt's "Something To Talk About"

Aretha "Respect"

Annie Lennox "Would I Lie to You"

Steely Dan "Aja"

These are the latter part of 20th Century.

Those who wish to refute my bias towards the past, please do so, I really want to hear new and intense grooves.

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For something along those lines, I like to highlight Nils Landgren Funk Unit. Awesome. For album references I'm most keen on Funky Abba and Live in Stockholm. I'll keep an eye on this thread though - I'm poor at keeping myself up to date on this sort of music.

That's it for mainstream funk for my part. You edit your post - I edit mine :cool:

For something somewhat along the lines of the Headhunters, only with a more funky vein, check out the album Wired Up by Bentzon Brotherhood. Highly recommendable, I'm a diehard lover of this album.

It would also be wrong of me not to mention:

- Kresten Osgood: Hammond Rens. With Lonnie Smith and Michael Blake.

- Joshua Redman: Momentum

Some epic grooving in these albums. The latter more on the funky side of things, former more in the jazzy department.

When in doubt, superimpose pentatonics.

I just listened to Nils Landgren Funk Unit "House Party".

I found a bit of a surprise, I felt the horns had more of a groove than the rhythm guys. That is not always the case. Any way, keep 'em coming.

Just listened to Funky ABBA this is very interesting music... thanks !

Leader singer, is a heck of jazz trombone player, extremely good... and his groove is serious. More more more!

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

For something along those lines, I like to highlight Nils Landgren Funk Unit. Awesome. For album references I'm most keen on Funky Abba and Live in Stockholm. I'll keep an eye on this thread though - I'm poor at keeping myself up to date on this sort of music.

That's it for mainstream funk for my part. You edit your post - I edit mine :cool:

For something somewhat along the lines of the Headhunters, only with a more funky vein, check out the album Wired Up by Bentzon Brotherhood. Highly recommendable, I'm a diehard lover of this album.

It would also be wrong of me not to mention:

- Kresten Osgood: Hammond Rens. With Lonnie Smith and Michael Blake.

- Joshua Redman: Momentum

Some epic grooving in these albums. The latter more on the funky side of things, former more in the jazzy department.

WOW the more I listen to Nils, the more I am impressed with him... he is a bad dude.

Check this cut out with Nils and Joe Sample

I am loving it... a nice blend of funk and jazz.

Well, it's probably not that surprising that the two artists which spring immediately to mind are outta New Orleans:

1. Papa Grows Funk

2. Trombone Shorty

Give 'em a listen on youtube or whatever. I'll probably think of more, but I'm at my day job at the moment and gotta get back to it...

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

1) Joe Sample Trio with Marcus Miller (bass) Omar Hakim (drums)

"Seven Years Of Bad Luck"

2) Joe Sample Trio with Lennie Castro (percussion) Jay Anderson (bass) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZE-hG1Xaew

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

Gamble Brothers Band. Start with Back to the Bottom.

Janelle Monáe. Some of the album is more typical contemporary pop stuff (still great), but Tightrope is as funky as anything that's made it through the major label machine this decade.

[video:youtube]

Allen Stone.

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToAecdI2SZ4

Jd73 (who I believe is a forumite, or once was)

And +1 to most of what's above. My favorite D'Angelo video isn't up here yet so here it is. Pino just slays me every time I watch this.

The first two that come to mind for me are The Roots and Soulive.

Also, I remember seeing that Janelle Monae performance on Letterman and being absolutely blown away. It was the first time I ever heard of her and thought she and the band simply knocked it out of the park.

Also check out some of Jill Scott's live stuff.

We copped this version of 'Long Walk' a couple years ago but couldn't make it feel like THIS:

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Michael McDonald

I'll accept "leading proponent of Yacht Rock" or "the guy that ruined The Doobie Brothers" but not "intense groove machine". :sick:

Educate me please?

I'm kinda wondering why we need a separation? A lot of the artists in the OP are still making music today, just like many artists in the responses were making music well before Y2K. :idk: With that being said, let me get you some links. Can't be a bad thing to share!

NSFW

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IddzCxEsM2U

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUFu-QKLSlU&feature=related

I shouldn't spam with links (Ok, I already did :laugh:) But, other artists you should check out include: BADBADNOTGOOD, Christian Scott, Chris "Daddy" Dave, Erykah Badu, Gnarls Barkley, Hiromi's Sonicboom, Magnum Coltrane Price (Nils Landgren's bassist and co-producer), Medeski, (Scofield), Martin and Wood, Metalwood, Movèzerbe, Rabnett 5, Ruckus Fo'tet, The Ruff Pack, Sheryo, The Souljazz Orchestra and Zony Mash. That's off the top of my iTunes library's head. :laugh: There have been some fantastic suggestions and there is plenty more out there. There's a lot more good music around and coming. Seek and you shall find, sir. :)

WOW the more I listen to Nils, the more I am impressed with him... he is a bad dude.

Have you heard him playing together with Michael Ruff, Lars "Danmark" Danielsson (Larry D) and Per Lindvall.

Groovy

And here Nils is singing

NS2 88, Yamaha Cp300, Moog Little Phatty, Hammond Sk2, Roland Fantom X6, Ventilator, Nord C2D, Leslie 3300, Leslie 122

Have you heard him playing together with Michael Ruff, Lars "Danmark" Danielsson (Larry D) and Per Lindvall.

Groovy

And here Nils is singing

NS2 88, Yamaha Cp300, Moog Little Phatty, Hammond Sk2, Roland Fantom X6, Ventilator, Nord C2D, Leslie 3300, Leslie 122

Michael McDonald

I'll accept "leading proponent of Yacht Rock" or "the guy that ruined The Doobie Brothers" but not "intense groove machine". :sick:

Hmm... tis funny that Steely Dan, Little Feat (Lowell George-era), etc all recorded some fantastic music with Michael McDonald's vocal greatly enhancing the tuneage...

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites