Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

SK-1 and 2 Tips, Tricks and Other Cool Stuff.

The pedals can't be separated from the rest of the organ for expression control. What you might try is to set the expression range for the lower frequencies to not drop much when the pedal is moved. I don't have the manual handy but the expression section has settings for how much the highs and lows change as the pedal is moved.

Good luck.

So I'm scrolling through the extra voice libraries in my SK1 and notice I have a "Tr. Organ_VxJ". I don't recall ever loading that into my board nor does Hammond-Suzuki list that on their website to download. Where did this come from? I can't even delete it. . .

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

It is one of the System organs along with the Farfisa and pipe organ. It can't be removed.

Sure, but this one is in the extra voice library and has different patches such as "VxJS Flute", VxJS Brass", etc. This isn't under "Organ Type" like the tonewheel, pipe, and farfisa organ engines are located.

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

I haven't had a chance to look into it but I think some of the factory patches use that library. I suspect they wouldn't fit in the system library memory so they put them in the user library memory and locked them. I think they are listed on the bottom of pg. 137. They are sounds like other library sounds not adjustable with the drawbars like the organs.

Hey Y'all! I bought my SK1 in 2012 and my version is (main) 1.613.

The screen has started to intermittently go off/on and display random characters.

What should I do?

Mine does this too. Usually if I hit the record button for saving a patch it clears up. Sometimes it clears on it's own. It also seems to happen when certain midi messages are sent to it.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

This is just a heads-up related to older threads from 2 - 3 years ago about hard cases for the SK2... The general conclusion at that time for the go-to-case for the SK2 (with the feet removed) was the Gator GKPE-61 tsa.

I just purchased another case, which is advertised for the Tyros 5-61, that the SK2 fits nicely in without having to remove the feet. It's the SKB 3i 4719-kbd, which is approximately the same exterior size and weight (~25 lbs.) as the Gator case but a little more spacious inside with another half inch of depth allowing the SK2's feet to stay on.

Here is a link to the SKB site with the case's description and its specs:

http://www.skbcases.com/music/products/proddetail.php?f=&id=865&o=&offset=&c=76&s=76

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

Help! Does the SK series have a glide or portamento function that can be applied to any of the extra voices? I'm trying to cover the synth lead on "Band On The Run" by Wings and can't find anything in the menu options.

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

You're welcome. The glide settings only work in one direction. You can set it to bend down when you press the switch and it will return when you release the switch (or vice versa) but you can't have it bend up or down like a pitch wheel.

Good luck.

• 1 month later...

Switching from a preset to manual interrupts a held chord. I assume this is because of different underlying settings.

On that assumption, all of my presets originated from the my Jimmy preset to avoid this. And it works fine and there's no audible break when I hold a chord and switch presets. I only store drawbars and percussion in my organ presets.

Is there a way to copy a preset to manual? Or, is there another reason for a held chord breaking when switching from preset to manual?

Hammond A3 . Leslie 3300w . MODX

I'm an amateur pianist that is itching to get that Hammond sound. I have no experience as an organist and am wondering if the SK1-88 might be a better fit for me. Am I going to regret not having a 2nd manual that SK2 has if I have 88 keys?

Thanks for any advice.

Donsta

Switching from a preset to manual interrupts a held chord. I assume this is because of different underlying settings.

On that assumption, all of my presets originated from the my Jimmy preset to avoid this. And it works fine and there's no audible break when I hold a chord and switch presets. I only store drawbars and percussion in my organ presets.

Is there a way to copy a preset to manual? Or, is there another reason for a held chord breaking when switching from preset to manual?

JohnSC, Some of my own presets don't lag going from one to another when holding a chord or single note but others do. Most of my presets are based on the same preset but with drawbar,perc and C/V changes. I always get a lag when holding and going from preset to manual and vice versa. Trying to find the common thread that makes them lag or not has been a puzzle I've been unable to solve. I wish I had answers to these issues,but if anyone out there has a solution,please clue us in.

I'm an amateur pianist that is itching to get that Hammond sound. I have no experience as an organist and am wondering if the SK1-88 might be a better fit for me. Am I going to regret not having a 2nd manual that SK2 has if I have 88 keys?

Thanks for any advice.

Donsta

Welcome to the forum. In some ways the difference between 88 keys on one manual and 61 keys on each of two manuals is a bit like comparing apples and oranges. Some of the Hammond techniques developed on the original organs depend on two manuals vertically close enough that it is possible to (for instance) have fingers playing a chord on the upper while the thumb plays a note on the lower. The SK1-88 can be split into two 44 key "side by side" manuals - the number of keys is similar to that of the Hammond spinet models.

More important is the difference in feel. The keys are "semi-weighted," kind of between a fully weighted piano and a light non-weighted true organ keyboard. My PC3 Kurzweil is "semi-weighted" - not ideal for either Chopin type piano or gospel Hammond, although one CAN do most things. Certain organ techniques require either sliding up and down the keys, palm smears, or a staccato "brushing" of the keys. The wrong action just doesn't work for those styles (and can wind up with cut fingers and hands in the sliding). Also the original has a C to C 61 key range.

Having said that, overall it depends on just how much one plans to get into being an organist. My SK1-73 gives me all that I need for my own playing, but would not be ideal for someone in an organ trio doing Jimmy Smith type music. For that matter, in most cases that organist would also want a full set of pedals for bass.

Another critical part of a good Hammond sound is having an expression pedal and knowing how to use it in the particular genre.

The acoustic piano patches on the SK1 are not extremely high quality, although I find them adequate for play in an ensemble (I'd carry out my PC3X full 88 key if I needed a solo piano sound). The instrument IS a good compromise. I have used it in conjunction with my PC361 as a MIDI controller for the second manual when that is wanted.

I have still carried the SK1 and used it without other keyboards, playing a mix of organ, piano, Rhodes, and Wurly patches.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Pa,

Thanks for the response. I've configured the manual setting to match the preset in every regard. It's a clean interruption as opposed to a lag. Fraction of a second, but a clean break. More like a bump the break is so short. But distinct.

By contrast, changing my presets is as seamless as changing an individual tonebar with a held chord. No interruption whatsoever.

JohnSC, Some of my own presets don't lag going from one to another when holding a chord or single note but others do. Most of my presets are based on the same preset but with drawbar,perc and C/V changes. I always get a lag when holding and going from preset to manual and vice versa. Trying to find the common thread that makes them lag or not has been a puzzle I've been unable to solve. I wish I had answers to these issues,but if anyone out there has a solution,please clue us in.

Question for the group. I would like to brighten Syn.Str.3 and store it as a patch. The treble control works fine, I would like to store it with the patch. Can do?

Also, any synth tips would be appreciated.

And if it hasn't been said before, thanks to Jim McS and the others who have made this thread the bible for Sk owners.

You're welcome.

The EQ settings on Pg. 100 are patch parameters so you should be able to adjust those as you need for that voice and save it. There are separate settings for organ and EVs. These settings are intended to tweak the organ/EV tone to taste. The control panel adjustments are to fine tune for room acoustics.

I did discover that assignment of effects knobs need to match between manual mode and any given preset in order to achieve a seamless switch from preset to manual and back while holding notes. Same goes for preset to preset. Organ types (B2 for instance) must also match. Worked great for me. Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...
This is the difference between 8.3 and 8.4:

HAMMOND SK1/2 Updator Release 8.4

Jul 02, 2014

Suzuki Musical Inst. Mfg. Co., Ltd

Updated Files:

- mainV1621.sys

Updated Areas:

- In Tonewheel organ,improved the problem of errors in writing to sound engine by the value of the attack / release parameters.

- When Default-Global has run,it improved the problem of errors in writing to Percussion internal parameters.

-----------------------------------------------------------

HAMMOND SK1/2 Updator Release 8.3

Apr 16, 2014

Suzuki Musical Inst. Mfg. Co., Ltd

Updated Files:

- mainV1619.sys

- DSPV1009.sys

Updated Areas:

-To improve the level of LINE output.

I think the Hammond US has the 8.4 update they just didn't update the web page.

JMcS, Can might you be able to explain what " In tonewheel organ ,improved the problem of errors in writing to sound engine by the value of the attack/release parameters" means? Maybe it pertains to pedal attack/ release or key click somehow in setting parameter values? H/S really needs a better translator. The whole print manual has some pretty cryptic wording. I ask because my SK2 sometimes emits a sound,sometimes pitched,or sometimes similar to white noise after I stop playing a dense passage. The sound can be stopped by depressing a key. I'm curious to know if this might the bug this update addresses since it relates to release. I currently have 8.3. Thanks for any insight.

I can't really explain it but what I think it means is that either some parameters weren't getting saved correctly when the SK was powered off or they weren't getting read/loaded correctly when powered on. I was once told that there are settings and parameters that are not available in the user menus in the XK-3. They fine tune something or tell the OS what to do for example. The SK software probably works the same way. Something may not be getting the data it expects all the time and gets confused.

The time between the two releases was pretty short so it was an issue that Hammond felt they needed to resolve quickly. To be safe you probably should install the update.

So I downloaded the system update to usb drive and installed it. The installation was really fast and easy. It only loaded for a few seconds and didn't erase my custom presets which leaves me suspicious. No download failed message or anything. When it stopped the SK just went back into play mode. I believe I was only updating from 8.3 but still expected a much longer load time. Now when I call up system version in the menu it says mainV1621. Does this mean my system update was successful and I now have updator release 8.4? Thanks much for any help.

Hi there !

I'm getting around to selling my SK2 soon.

I'm in the UK, if any one is interested.

It comes with an excellent flight case (Gothard Cases, with astroboard sides, metal edges and metal ball corners, two "Techno" handles, wheels on one end and a snap-back pull handle on the other end).

I also have for sale a HS CU-1 Leslie half-moon switch and Ventilator (mk 1) to sell too. The CU-1 works directly into the Ventilator.

PM me if interested and I can provide pictures.

Roland RD800, Mag C2 Organ (dual-manual organ clone with HX3 engine and built-in Mini-Vent leslie sim).

(soon to have) Tornado T115 (all valve) rotary speaker.

Lots of vintage National guitars