Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What music related Courses would you like to take?

User_35092

I really want to master some stuff. and want to take

several courses. master Class with Chick Corea and lang

lang i think its a good Idea.

I was wondering if you have the same desire as i do?

P.S Some Sound desing classes from Brian Eno would be cool.

Brian: if you are reading this please PM me ..

I get new gear

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just finished a week-long jazz camp. Terrell Stafford was the gueest clinician and my big band conductor. Between a piano masterclass, two combo rehearsals, two big band rehearsals and a faculty concert every day, we had a fair amount to practice. Of course, the teachers were all telling us that they couldn't teach us anything, we had to learn it off the records.

That being said, a year from now, I plan to enter my first year as a jazz piano major at Grant MacEwan University's four-year degree program. And I am going to take as many classes as I possibly can!

Classical Music and money 101: How to exploit the wealthy and get them to give you money in the name or "art". :cool:

LOL.

I spent two years in this area securing funding and overseeing the delivery of projects. That's a bonkers world to work in.

I'm the piano player "off of" Borrowed Books.

I'd like to take a course in learning how to play....
I wish you would. I might start coming to your shows when you're in my neck of the woods if you did.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Classical Music and money 101: How to exploit the wealthy and get them to give you money in the name or "art". :cool:

Like this perhaps?

Exactly. ;)

I think a better subject would be "What music-related courses would you like other musicians to take"? I would like all symphony percussionists to take "Rhythm 101, the basics". :laugh: Brass should take "Music 101: How to blend in without drowning out the folks with the tune". Orchestral pianists would take "Group playing 101: the guy with the stick is your friend". Bass players: "Musicianship 101: how deodorant is essential". Violin players: " Ensemble 101: how playing faster than the others is not 'winning'". :laugh:

Brass should take "Music 101: How to blend in without drowning out the folks with the tune".

That class was cancelled due to lack of interest and replaced with "Intro to string section mic placement and sound reinforcement" and a 1/2 day gobo placement workshop.

That's a great one. I'm almost done with it. I'm in book 12 ( the last book). It's been a 5 year journey for me. I've met a lot of great musicians along the way and have written tons of stuff that I wouldn't have even thought about trying to explore before I started the course. You should do it, Z. You skype the lessons. If you ever want to do it, lemme know and I'll hook you up with a great teacher.

Tangentially music related, I want to learn Portuguese. I listen to a lot of Brazilian MPB, bossa, Tropicalia, etc. and would enjoy it more by better understanding lyrics without looking them up.

+1!

Other than that, marketing and business stuff is really where I need the MOST improvement, I think (of course some listeners might think otherwise) ...

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

"I am not certain how original my contribution to music is as I am obviously an amateur." Patti Smith

A "Class"... well, that would impart some discipline to my studies.

Meanwhile, it's all self-study, which works kinda sorta ok. I'm working through some examples in Mark Levin's Jazz Piano book, and I'm considering picking up John Novello's book to see where that's at. I do miss interacting with another human being.

I make software noises.

That's a great one. I'm almost done with it. I'm in book 12 ( the last book). It's been a 5 year journey for me. I've met a lot of great musicians along the way and have written tons of stuff that I wouldn't have even thought about trying to explore before I started the course. You should do it, Z. You skype the lessons. If you ever want to do it, lemme know and I'll hook you up with a great teacher.

You bet!

Archived