Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Audio plugs

Dave Bryce

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I already have UAD - love it. I have a Powercore, too - but that always gives me problems. :rolleyes:

I already picked up some stuff from Steven Slate (Virtual Console Collection is killer!) and some from Izotope - been playing with Alloy a bit and trying Nectar on vocals, and I also picked up Spectron, which is pretty intense but looks like it'll be worth taking the time to learn. I have the Softube Tube-Tech CL1B and Trident A-Range plugs already, too - they're both outstanding. :thu:

Also looking at a few things by Sound Toys and Eventide based on other recommendations - anybody using their stuff?

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

As you are using Nectar, I am guessing that you are open to preset-driven solutions.

In this area, Nectar and Toontrack EZMix are two of my faves. If you invest in EZMix and a couple of preset banks for it, you should be able to do a pretty good rough mix with just EZMix, Nectar, and a convo verb.

I especially like the master bus and drum bus presets in EZMix.

HI,

I'm sure I've strong preferences on the subject and indeed find it relevant to keyboard players quite a bit. Of course one has to wonder weather like in the in the image below the preference (not necessarily achievement) would be lower or upper "row" or possibly diagonal:

http://theover.org/Diary/Ldi103/Screenshot-97.jpg

I for one thing would choose bottom row first.

Seriously, everything that doesn't work at all on a Lexicon unit (or the great software they appear to have out) is suspect in my opinion, and, honestly, most of the modern sh*t is that way, and therefore implicitly lands in my "problems" category. I recall Waves from years ago could surely make some workable reverbs and ambience, and in fact I had a measure of fun with some the IKmedia simlations, but seriously I think the pro's need to communicate the complete loss of the 'classic' studio recording *** MUSIC *** before assessing everything windows/mac-software with the same attitude as the Grand Originals.

Theo

---------------------------------------------------

" We don't need no water,...." Right ?

As you are using Nectar, I am guessing that you are open to preset-driven solutions.

When it comes to plug-ins, I'm always interested in presets because they give me a really good idea of how the people who created the plug envision it being used.

dB

I started to use some plugs from stillwell, mostly "the rocket"

then, I am a big fan of the Liquid mix sound, they are pretty cheap nowadays. Hope focusrite makes them native for vst, au etc.

flux bittersweet(freeware), I also dig their pure eq, didn't get my head around their compressors.

Dave,

I guess it depends on what you're looking for. Are there specific things you're after that you're not getting from your current plugs?

My PowerCore is still working great for me (Thank God) so I rely on it in particular compression, mastering and some reverbs. I mentioned the D16 stuff because Toraverb for synthy ambient stuff (that I do) is just heavenly - nothing realistic about it at all but perfect for creating atmosphere.

Some other favorites:

CamelSpace and CamelPhat

Again though....it depends on what you're looking for.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Dave,

I guess it depends on what you're looking for. Are there specific things you're after that you're not getting from your current plugs?

It was the need to start working in Pro Tools that started this. :idea:

My "current plugs" were pretty much all UAD and Power Core when I was using DP, and won't work with ProTools....so I'm looking to have as nice a selection as I did with that setup.

I basically need everything...it's kind of like starting from scratch. :(

dB

Some good suggestions so far...thanks! :thu:

I figured I'd get a bunch more, though. Maybe I overestimated how many of my keyboard brothers are into the recording thing/use plug ins... :idk:

dB

Didn't really pay attention to this thread, sorry man...Anyways, here is what i recommend and use :

I'm using Waves, URS ,T-racks 3 (Love it), Avox Antares, The Soundtoys bundle, GSi's Roland Tape Echo GS-201, some other ones i can't remember and a lot of free ones as well, some are crap, some are decent.

I was mixing something yesterday and i only used the T-Racks 3 plugins for everything, so that's my best recommendation for now.

"The purple piper plays his tune, The choir softly sing; Three lullabies in an ancient tongue, For the court of the crimson king"

My "current plugs" were pretty much all UAD and Power Core when I was using DP, and won't work with ProTools.

Have you tried the UAD VST to RTAS Adapter wrapper that FXpansion designed for UAD?

http://www.uaudio.com/support/uad/compatibility/rtas.html

As for me, I use Altiverb in just about every mix.

Good luck, Dave! :thu:

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

How come the need to do Pro Tools? Compatibility?

Yep.

My "current plugs" were pretty much all UAD and Power Core when I was using DP, and won't work with ProTools.

Have you tried the UAD VST to RTAS Adapter wrapper that FXpansion designed for UAD?

http://www.uaudio.com/support/uad/compatibility/rtas.html

Can't - I need to be compatible with someone else who doesn't have one....but thanks for the suggestion!

dB

Dave,

Do you mean compatibility to the point of passing PT sessions back and forth, (meaning you both have the identical plugs available)? That would seem to answer the question with: You need whatever they have. Otherwise, I collaborate all the time with PT users (I'm DP) by just passing consolidated wav files back and forth (making sure we all start at zero, of course). If we both need to hear something that only one of us has (like a VI or favorite plug) we print it to audio.

As I type this, I know you know this, so I'm wondering if I've missed something here???

Dave,

Do you mean compatibility to the point of passing PT sessions back and forth, (meaning you both have the identical plugs available)?

Yep. The person I wanna work with doesn't use UAD or Power Core. He has a ton of plugs though - so far, anything I've been interested in, he has it.

Also, he mostly wants me to work on mixes for him that he can tweak, so it's really important that we have compatible setups.

dB

.....and some from Izotope - been playing with Alloy a bit...

dB

The expander in Alloy does a nice below threshold compression. Use a negative ratio. Great for drums (room mics in particular). Keeps transients intact.

For Softube, the Tonelux Tilt is a wonderful tool.

Archived