Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anyone seen Grace Potter live?

DanS

With the new Keyboard mag that came yesterday, I had to ask.

I have 2 of their CD's, and although I enjoy them overall, I get the feeling they might be a better live act than studio.

True?

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

Yamaha Montage M7, Nord Electro 6D, Hammond XK1c, Dave Smith PolyEvolver & Rack, Moog Voyager,  Modal Cobalt 8X, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw them (and first heard of them) when they opened for Gov't Mule. I checked out some tracks online beforehand and thought, "this could be good."

They were better than good. If you know the tune Nothing But the Water, you know the first part starts out with her singing acapella. Well, she opened with that (remember, this was as an opening act), and completely had us.

This is a killer live band. They are also taper-friendly, so you can download shows for free, too, if you're into that sort of thing.

Also, there are recordings and videos of the 12/31/2009 show, where they did the second set dressed like Top Gun and did most or all of the songs from the soundtrack. Hilarious and awesome. :D

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Regarding those clips, shes obviously going the hottie route now, and man, she is SMOKINI saw her on Leno or Letterman, and she had a minidress so short on that I was PRAYING for a wardrobe malfunction. (My apologies now to all the female forum members, but Im a victim of my half of the species primal urges.) But her vocals were insanely good. (She didnt play B3 on that appearance.)

Ive been a fan for a while but havent been able to see her yet, but Red and I will be catching her at Bonnaroo for sure. A drummer friend of mine played at Chicagos Bluegrass Festival a couple months back, and asked me if I should see anyone in particular. Grace was there, and I told him to make sure he caught their set. He told me dude, you were rightTHEY WERE THE BOMB.

Her 2006 disc Nothing But The Water is available with a live DVD included; sadly, while my den/media room has been undergoing transformation, I hadnt had the time to watch it yet. Now Im just waiting for B-roo.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Regarding those clips, shes obviously going the hottie route now, and man, she is SMOKINI saw her on Leno or Letterman, and she had a minidress so short on that I was PRAYING for a wardrobe malfunction. (My apologies now to all the female forum members, but Im a victim of my half of the species primal urges.)

Look, we get Grace, the womenfolk get Geddy.

What's the prob?

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

Yamaha Montage M7, Nord Electro 6D, Hammond XK1c, Dave Smith PolyEvolver & Rack, Moog Voyager,  Modal Cobalt 8X, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

Planning on catching her show in June.

You've probably seen these.

One of my favorites.

[video:youtube]

GREAT TONE....and still has me praying for a wardrobe malfunction!

I haven't been fortunate enough to see them live in person. Their live album "Live in Skowhegan" has great energy though. I particularly like the guitar solo in "Stop The Bus"; he does great with building tension.

I really enjoy their studio recordings as well though - even the newest which I feel is a bit of a departure from their previous style.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/7b/GraceSlick2008.jpg/582px-GraceSlick2008.jpg

You ever notice you never see "Grace Slick" and "Jimmy Page" in the same place? Just saying.

http://i937.photobucket.com/albums/ad216/tonysounds/jimmy_page.jpg

Look, we get Grace, the womenfolk get Geddy.

What's the prob?

Proof that he's a chick magnet:

http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l348/yaoi_myantidrug/poolsidewithGeddy.jpg

All I know is that chick on the left has her legs on backwards. :freak:

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

She played a club just a couple miles from my house a couple months ago... Kicking myself for missing that,

-Greg

Motif XS8, MOXF8, Hammond XK1c, Vent

Rhodes Mark II 88 suitcase, Yamaha P255

Regarding those clips, shes obviously going the hottie route now, and man, she is SMOKINI saw her on Leno or Letterman, and she had a minidress so short on that I was PRAYING for a wardrobe malfunction. (My apologies now to all the female forum members, but Im a victim of my half of the species primal urges.) But her vocals were insanely good. (She didnt play B3 on that appearance.)

Leno show ...

-Greg

Just my opinion - and I usually don't like to post critical things about acts other people are enjoying, but for me:

She/they play well enough. And yes, she's purty, but....

there's no there there.

Songwriting trumps performance in rock music to me. And it is the most nebulous and subjective thing in the world why some songs connect with some people and not with others.

BTW-

I was actually at the Boston Music Awards show someone posted a clip of...

Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard

Just my opinion - and I usually don't like to post critical things about acts other people are enjoying, but for me:

She/they play well enough. And yes, she's purty, but....

there's no there there.

Songwriting trumps performance in rock music to me. And it is the most nebulous and subjective thing in the world why some songs connect with some people and not with others.

BTW-

I was actually at the Boston Music Awards show someone posted a clip of...

You have a good point... But I think her hit is coming shortly. It needs to anyways.

-Greg

What songs of hers I've heard are generally pretty good. I didn't look up the lyrics to find if there's any deep meaning, smart rhymes, etc., though. To me, it was good rock and roll and it worked well in a jam band context as well, as opposed to some jam bands who don't seem like they're good writers (but that's for another thread which we've probably done here previously).

About a year ago, they posted a bunch of videos of the band doing some of their songs in various locations around San Diego. Here are a couple. I think these clips show how good (and how cool) they are. The last one is particularly fun.

That said, I'm not wild about the "hottie" look her and Catherine (the current bass player) are doing now. I mean, as a guy sure, but I'm primarily here for what the music sounds like. I'm even curious if their shows are now tightened up to be less jammy or if they're still doing that live.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Potter was hotter when she was chubby...

I saw their live show on TV recently, pretty good, I didn't hate it and I hate most modern artists, but there's still this fake hipster thing about them that bothers me, it comes off as very contrived, like an Austin band, I wish more artists had that natural cool vibe that seems to be so elusive these days, I like Potter though.

Call me crazy, but I found her considerably hotter in the videos that RedKey posted compared the more recent ones where she embraced the "hottie look."

Regardless of looks, though, she's an incredible singer and seemingly a pretty damn good B3 player as well. Thanks for sharing the vids, guys.

Noah

I dig the music and the look....but Ive always preferred the bad girl rockers....the ones that make it seem like youd get tossed around the room a little bit.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

I dig the music and the look....but Ive always preferred the bad girl rockers....the ones that make it seem like youd get tossed around the room a little bit.

Care to throw out an example or two for us this fine Friday? I could use a Royal Wedding antidote.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

To me it just sounds like good old fashioned blues-rock, which is always a good thing, even it it's not what I'd spend my time listening to these days. I'd probably put on some Janis Joplin before I'd turn to this. With Janis, you were 100% certain that she had lived every word of her songs, and that made them so much more powerful. With Grace, I get the feeling that they just wrote a bunch of cool tunes. There's a self-conciousness to their work and their videos that makes me miss the WTF attitude of the original blues rock legends. But that's a criticism that could be leveled at just about everybody performing in pop and rock today.

edit: "WTF" isn't quite right . . . more like WGAF.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Call me crazy, but I found her considerably hotter in the videos that RedKey posted compared the more recent ones where she embraced the "hottie look."

Regardless of looks, though, she's an incredible singer and seemingly a pretty damn good B3 player as well. Thanks for sharing the vids, guys.

Noah

I'm with Noah 1000%. When I saw the Leno clip I was actually sort of disappointed: I thought she was this hot hippie earth girl who was really sexy (as opposed to just "beautiful"). I prefer the less glossy appearance. But her voice still killed me.

Care to throw out an example or two for us this fine Friday? I could use a Royal Wedding antidote.

Lita Ford has always been a favorite..... Remember the band Vixen (ha!)? Early Alanis Morissette (Man, that was one pissed-off bit chick.). Some Madonna. I'd also include Pink and even Fergie as more contemporary examples. Doesn't Gina Gershon have a band? You'd better hang on to something....

Sorry for the diversion, folks.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Exactly, someone you can wrestle with who might land a good punch or two too.... :laugh:
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Archived