Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anybody in love with a particular analog filter pedal?

Tonysounds

Thats an area that really is weak for the Line 6 stuff, and Im jonesing for a good one. I used to use a Dr. Q back in the 70s on my Rhodes, and now I want another one. Preferably one with some TRUE auto-wah settings (as opposed to velocity triggered), but the auto-wah isnt a deal breaker.

Doing a little research via video clips, I like the 3Leaf Proton right now. They make a more in-depth version called the Groove Regulator, but the Proton seems much cleaner.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I use the Moogerfooger low pass filter. I haven't really tried any others, but it's a bad piece of gear, and with that envelope follower you can do some gnarly things with it.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Thats the device everyone models (except Moog), or at least claim they model. I didnt use one back in the day because you could never get the effected tone the same volume as the bypassed tone. And they are just STUPID money.

It depends on what style of filter you want. For a lowpass, the Moog is really hard to beat. For bandpass/wah effects there are plenty of choices, just don't use them on instruments where you want to keep a think bottom end.

I did a lot of research on this recently, after years of hating every filter pedal I had ever bought, and just last week (or maybe the week before) settled upon the Maxon emulation of the old Ibanez filter pedal (I think it's AF-9, but it's at home...).

This is the first one I've tried that is transparent and also handles low frequency tracking pretty well. But I have only tried it so far on guitar and bass; not my analog synths. I guess because my synths already have filters built-in. :-)

I should give that a try and report back. I found the results more easily and immediately musically useful than other stuff (including moogerfooger, which is nice in concept but maybe I just haven't had enough time with one to get musical results yet).

Usually a filter pedal that handles bass well, will also handle synths well. Especially as it is often on bass patches that we use such pedals anyway. :-)

I have tried or owned all of the pedals described above, and found that all coloured the sound and/or muddied it up. The Maxon pedal is the first one that I have felt preserves the basic timbral characteristics of the source.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Used a Electro Harmonix Dr Q on my old clavinet. I unfortunately have neither anymore. EHX is making a smaller version of the old Dr. Q and it sells for around $50. I have no idea it sounds as like the old one or not.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Actually, the purpose of a filter is to filter the sound. Coloration is not necessarily always desirable. An eq is nothing but a filter bank.

One could argue that as soon as you filter anything from the sound, you're coloring it.

But regardless, the OP is asking about a Mu-Tron style effect, which is inarguably colored by definition.

Color is good! Again, I only have the videos to base any opinion on as none of the damn stores in my area (not the 4 Gspots, or 4 Sam Rashes, nor the boutique guitar shops) have any of the filter pedals, but that Proton seems to be the most effective and musical of the lot, without providing unpleasantness or robbing tone. And funnily enough, I prefer their Proton to their Groove Regulator or GR2. I think filter pedals are better than they used to be in that regard as bassists really did them, but it'd be nice to be able to audition them. I loved my Dr. Q, but I'd be curious if I loved it now.

I sold my M9 last nite, so I'm ready to leap....but!!!! Has anyone found a list of the onboard FX for the Kronos, either their "master" effects, or those specific to the electric piano engine?

This one has a lot of knobs and switches.

[video:youtube]

I might try one of these.

[video:youtube]

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Archived