Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A week in the life of a muso

kanker.

entropy

noun Physics

a thermodynamic quantity representing the unavailability of a system's thermal energy for conversion into mechanical work, often interpreted as the degree of disorder or randomness in the system. (Symbol: S)

[figurative] lack of order or predictability; gradual decline into disorder : a marketplace where entropy reigns supreme.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also shot a video with Snoop Dogg, Game and a couple Lakers for the L.A. Lakers remix 'Purple and Yellow' which is based on Wiz Kalifa's song 'Black and Yellow'. The video itself should drop this week, but the making of the video is documented here. I'm on the left with my hood up behind the Motif:

[video:youtube]

Wow that's amazing! Are those guys all swagga off camera?

I may be the only other forumite who knows the track "Black and Yellow" because I've been replacing lost live music gigs with DJ ones. That's been going great, but like most in here it also takes a hit in January - the slowest month of the year.

Your remix won't cut it up here though unfortunately. This is Blazer country! :laugh:

Still play live in a Praise Band - but that's different. We did an interdenominational 5th Sunday Sing last night. Musicians from several local churches all get together once in awhile for things like this. We get to talk a little shop, and then play to a packed house. Neat stuff :)

Vibrate the universe man. Every atom you move increases entropy, and that's a good thing
Just doing your part to hasten the inevitable end, eh? :laugh:

I'm having fun right now in 2 bands, one sould band with horn section and a quick pick-up blues band. The latter is a bunch of friends, people we get together for birthdays & such with, all great players but we've never actually all been in a band together. This is for just one 2-hr gig, but heck, why not.

The 2 band thing can't last for me; I don't have enough free time. But it's fun while it's lasting.

I can't imagine playing classic keyboards for hip-hop. I wouldn't know where to begin.

I can't imagine playing classic keyboards for hip-hop. I wouldn't know where to begin.

J. Dilla's music production style put classic KBs to good use and was a major influence on Hip-Hop, Neo Soul and R&B.

Also, check out the house band on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon. Their regular gig is a Hip-Hop band called "The Roots". ;):cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

K, I think it's great that you have the skillset and mentality to handle such a wide variety of gigs. I hope that your string of lucrative gigs continues until YOU decide it's time for a vacation. Also, hope it resumes when you're ready to hit again. You deserve it mayne. :thu:

To answer your question, my Motif has been sitting in its Gator case since November. I don't know what it's gonna take for me to even play again. In the meantime, I live vicariously through those of you still in the trenches. :cool:

I too live vicariously through Kevin and others. Maybe I need to buy something at Chuck Levins' again, so I can at least hear you play there, Prof. :)

I always thought that hip-hop was 90% samples - I didn't know that they had BANDS!

I'm not being sarcastic - my thinking was all based on sterotypes: lyrics based on killing cops and women as "ho's and bitches", people being sued for sampling without permission - whereas I know that the form has evolved beyond that.

Personally, though, hip-hop will never be my thing!

I always thought that hip-hop was 90% samples - I didn't know that they had BANDS!

I'm not being sarcastic - my thinking was all based on sterotypes: lyrics based on killing cops and women as "ho's and bitches", people being sued for sampling without permission - whereas I know that the form has evolved beyond that.

I never heard the Roots until I attended the Jon Stewart/Stephen Colbert thing at the National Mall in DC. They are a really, really good band.

Since you're into guitars, The Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy might be up your alley. That's the band that made Charlie Hunter famous, and the lyrics were for thinking people.

The lines between Hip Hop - RnB - Gospel aren't really lines, they're more one delicious African American continuum. You can sure as hell play Hip Hop live, but in it's strictest sense, yes, it started with sampling. And sampling remains an integral part of the sound. But a sampler itself is an instrument (obviously), meaning that it can be played live. Hip hop is also a culture and an aesthetic.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

I admire everyone able to juggle so many things, and I hope you are all at least as busy as you want to be! As much as there are times when I wish I could be busier with music, I know it's not the right time for me to be putting a bunch of irons in the fire. As most of you probably know, I spend most of my days at home with my soon-to-be 3yr old son, and that's how I want it. I don't want to send him off to a sitter or preschool ... I dropped my entire private-teaching schedule (which, while pregnant I allowed to decrease gradually through attrition). I have taken sub or pick-up gigs occasionally in the past but stopped that too ... eventually I may reinstitute both pursuits.

For now, I spend every free moment composing and arranging for a CD I hope to begin recording soon and releasing later this year. :cool: And I am focusing on playing in my trio (which sometimes becomes a quartet featuring a female singer) and gig 1 to 2 times a month. If I can get that to a solid 2x/month, I'd be getting everything I need out of playing live at this time, which is testing my creative works in front of an audience and staying loose with my playing.

In addition to that, I am slated to do some editing for a book being written by a large tech company (prolly shouldn't say more than that right now) and also scheduled to edit a pro-audio/recording book after that.

So that's what I'm up to these days. :)

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

"I am not certain how original my contribution to music is as I am obviously an amateur." Patti Smith

Kanker, and everyone who's getting the work they want, good job! It's really cool to see the range of stuff people are doing, and inspiring too.

I'm not gigging so much right now, but all of a sudden I have a ton of stuff happening around the end of March/early April and onwards. The Rush tribute band has its first gig on April 1, we've been rehearsing every other week for a while, and stuff is starting to come together. I've got a bunch of gigs coming up with the Latin band, including 2 in one day, also in April.

Just last week, my avant-jazz/hip hop/fusion band was asked to participate in a community theater project for our local arts newspaper. We have to come up with arrangements of about an hour of Rolling Stones tunes, and they are actually encouraging us to be pretty radical in our interpretations. Also, it looks like we'll be the house band for a couple singers at the same event.

And, to cap it all off, just today a good local Blues/Rock band asked me to join them, replacing their rhythm guitarist with keys. They do a lot of JJ Cale, The Band, The Meters, some Southern Soul, cool stuff. The first gig is at the end of March and it pays really well, at least by my standards. So I have a bunch of tunes to learn over the next few months. Feels good!

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

This was my kind of benefit -- they paid us, fed us, and stocked mosh pit with high school girls. Lots of vibrating, no perceptible entropy.

THIS gets my vote for quote of the week. :thu:

Just as I'm getting ready to hit "submit", I remembered that my daughter's a high school girl. Now, I'm feeling kinda sick in the head. :(

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

So now I'm iced in, rehearsal tonight cancelled, gig tomorrow night rescheduled, thankfully not cancelled. Just one more thing to contend with. Last night I drove home from the gig in about an inch of freezing rain/sleet. It was perhaps the most drivable ice/sleet you can imagine, safer than a lot of snow I've driven. This morning, it's solid ice.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

I'm watching the Weather Channel this morning thinking about you guys back East, the North and in the Midwest....yikes !!!

My wife JUST made it out of Milwaukee yesterday from visiting her sister in the hospital.

For all the moanin' I do about S. Cal.---overcrowding X 10, traffic, high real estate and overall high cost of living--I'm glad I don't have to deal with that mess anymore. I'm off to my vocal lesson right now in shorts and my concession to winter, a long sleeve tee. ;)

Everyone stay safe.

Other than the two big bands I'm playing with and a couple of regular jam sessions things are slow for me. The upside is I've been asked to write some music and play piano accompaniment for the 150th anniversary of French silent film make George Mélies! If you've ever seen that iconic silent film shot of the Man in the Moon with a rocket stuck in his eye, that's Mélies. It'll be the second time scoring silent film. THe first time was for a series of city archive silents. We broke the attendance record for the theatre and hope to do so again.
Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

My work scene can be summed up as sporadic - feast and famine, and never too much of either.

Nice gig there, David R. That guitar player has a good concept for Ornette stuff too.

Kevin, and all you guys across the snow storm path, stay safe. I heard some areas will be getting 20-30" of snow and 50+mph winds!

Kevin, and all you guys across the snow storm path, stay safe. I heard some areas will be getting 20-30" of snow and 50+mph winds!

+1

No scheduled gigs for me, but learning how to sample into my Korg M3 and operate its Karma functions indoors doesn't sound so bad this week.

Thanks, Steve. That's actually the guitar player's gig, so he definitely has the sound of Ornette in his mind.

And I echo the best wishes to everyone in the snow belt. I think we're getting the outer edge of it - we're used to snowstorms up here!

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

Thanks, Steve. That's actually the guitar player's gig, so he definitely has the sound of Ornette in his mind.

And I echo the best wishes to everyone in the snow belt. I think we're getting the outer edge of it - we're used to snowstorms up here!

Nice to see you back here Mr. R, it's been awhile!

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

I may be the only other forumite who knows the track "Black and Yellow" ...

Heh, you're not the only one. This song has pretty much appeared in all my social networking feeds every day over the past few months, and it's only gotten more intense with the Steelers making it to the Super Bowl. (For those not in the know, "Black and Yellow" is by Pittsburgh-based rapper Wiz Khalifa, and has become a bit of an unofficial anthem for the city and its sports teams.)

We should start to see strong winds within an hour or so, but this thing is so large that the destructive winds could last 12 hours or more.

The wind gauge on Willis island has just been destroyed. Just waiting on the latest update on http://www.bom.gov.au/cyclone

DigitalFakeBook Free chord/lyric display software for windows.

We are a prepared as we can be. I've been through a few cyclones, but nothing approaching this.

SEVERE TC YASI IS A LARGE AND VERY POWERFUL TROPICAL CYCLONE AND POSES AN EXTREMELY SERIOUS THREAT TO LIFE AND PROPERTY WITHIN THE WARNING AREA,ESPECIALLY BETWEEN CAIRNS AND TOWNSVILLE.

THIS IMPACT IS LIKELY TO BE MORE LIFE THREATENING THAN ANY EXPERIENCED DURING RECENT GENERATIONS.

DigitalFakeBook Free chord/lyric display software for windows.

Archived