Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Black music and White people

zephonic

Disco was white people trying to play funk.

Rock-n-roll was white people trying to play rhythm-n-blues.

Pop music was white people trying to play soul.

Dude, you packed more completely wrong information in those three sentence than I can possibly begin to approach....

Or is the truth that painful to bear...?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"Americans love irony. They can't get enough of it." - Randy Newman

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Dude, you packed more completely wrong information in those three sentence than I can possibly begin to approach....

Yeah, except for that whole disco being played by black musicians thing, and that rock and roll being played by black musicians thing, and that pop music being played black musicians thing, youre spot on. :freak:

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

:thu:

Somewhat amusing generalizations, though. Been there, seen these plenty o' times :bor:

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

:rolleyes:

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Yeah, except for that whole disco being played by black musicians thing, and that rock and roll being played by black musicians thing, and that pop music being played black musicians thing, youre spot on. :freak:

Or the whole "pop music" tracing it's roots to ALL American musics, Broadway, Vaudeville, country, western, mountain music, cajun music, among many other sources including European classical music. It tweren't just blues, gospel and soul...

Face it man, music is a damn melting pot. There have always been white musicians playing "black music" and there have always been black musicians playing "white music"

That's the thing about music, it's the great uniter...until people make statements like disco was white people trying to play funk...I didn't realize Barry White was really white...I didn't realize that Gamble and Huff were white...I didn't realize that Gloria Gaynor was white....until people make statements like rock n roll was white people trying to play RnB...didn't realize Little Richard was white...didn't realize Chuck Berry was white...didn't realize Esquerita was white....until people make statements like pop music was white people trying to play soul...didn't realize that Dionne Warwick was white...Didn't realize the Ink Spots were white...didn't realize the Coasters were white...didn't realize the King of Pop was white....

I won't even get into discussing Charlie Pride....

A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Stepping back a bit, it's interesting and a little bit sad that it is no longer ok to talk about race, even in humor. If the blogger's series was entitled "what black people like," well, you can just imagine . . .. The blogger's underlying logic, one would presume, is that it's ok to make fun of "white people" (whatever that means), because they've always had the upper hand, etc, etc . . . not a new concept. Problem is, not all people who consider themselves "white" feel that way. And no one likes to feel like they are defined by their skin color. It is inherently insulting because it implies that you don't have the intelligence or will power to overcome a measly few segments of DNA. So then some white people will feel the need to respond and lo and behold, you're off to the races, no pun intended. We've become overly sensitive to race issues, but at least that's better than being insensitive.

Sarah Silverman gets away with using race in her humor, and it's kind of surprising that she does, but then, she's one of the funniest people on the planet (though I'm sure people who don't like her racial humor will disagree). The blogger we're talking about is, in my opinion, a humorist of very modest talents, and as such should stay away from race.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I hung out with Moe holding the other end of the proverbial 10-foot pole.

But, what the h*ll, I just couldn't let an opportunity pass to get my post count up. :D

The article is a bastardized piece of Onion. It is funny.

Besides, I doubt that it offended anyone exploiting any type of music to a far greater degree than the pioneers of it. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I long held onto the notion that "white people can't play Black music". I became more sure of this the 1st time I saw what is now my favorite local band- an all African American local pop/funk band. They were playing a lot of classic pop/funk that I played when I was on the road doing the hotel / Top 40 circuit in the 80's. However, their groove was so dirty / nasty / phatt / cool-adjective-of-the-day that I thought "THIS is how this music is supposed to sound, & I've never heard white people play it like this".

HOWEVER.... I've started thinking lately it's not so much a black / white thing as it is a culture thing. Over the years I've gotten better at playing behind the beat and not so on top of or ahead of it. I've learned to appreciate the importance tempo plays, and how too fast a tempo can destroy a groove. By contrast the last few times I've heard the aforementioned African American band, I've noticed what appears to be some fatigue with some of the songs in their repertoire. This translates into some of their tempos being a bit too fast, a little too much overplaying here & there and some of the songs being less about the groove than in their earlier years. It's almost as if they sometimes sound.... white.

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

Well, it happened to Miles Davis - he and his band got tired of some of the material audiences wanted to hear, so it got faster and faster..(according to an old interview with Herbie Hancock) and I don't think his bands sounded "white" although he hired people of the "Caucasian persuasion" sometimes.

Re: "what white people like" and similar articles - that doesn't bother me. I know what I like, and that's all I really care about!

Well, at least they are grizzly bears. Black bears would just get us deeper into the topic :)

I am pretty sure those are grizzly bears trying to copy what black bears do so well, but just not doing a very good job of it because they are of the grizzly variety rather than black.

I am pretty sure those are grizzly bears trying to copy what black bears do so well, but just not doing a very good job of it because they are of the grizzly variety rather than black.

Yes, but they still do it better than polar bears. :laugh:

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

HOWEVER.... I've started thinking lately it's not so much a black / white thing as it is a culture thing. Over the years I've gotten better at playing behind the beat and not so on top of or ahead of it. I've learned to appreciate the importance tempo plays, and how too fast a tempo can destroy a groove. By contrast the last few times I've heard the aforementioned African American band, I've noticed what appears to be some fatigue with some of the songs in their repertoire. This translates into some of their tempos being a bit too fast, a little too much overplaying here & there and some of the songs being less about the groove than in their earlier years. It's almost as if they sometimes sound.... white.

Exactly. :thu:

And this knocks this discussion into a higher plane. What seems to come naturally to black folks must be STUDIED by a lot of us white guys. But first you've got to recognize what it's about. What are the differences here that make playing groove music difficult for people who did not grow up with it in their culture? Mcgoo, you focus on many good points: playing behind the beat, the importance of tempo and how playing too fast can destroy a groove. I also think it is very interesting that you mentioned fatigue within some of their songs. Folks, this music demands focus.

The other day I alluded to a bass player I was joined with in a throw-together gig at the pool. During a highly-rhythmic tune, this guy walks across to the other side of the pool to get a beer out of the cooler. (wireless) He had no clue that the time it takes for the sound to reach his ears across the pool would mess with our timing. And it did. (I was so pissed.) :mad:

There is so much we can learn from each other here on KC. It's not just a black/white thing, but a strong desire to understand the music of other cultures and how that music is often integrated into what comes from our minds and flows through our fingers to the keyboard.

I also keep trying (from my posts on this thread) to remind us that it's important to laugh at ourselves. Those generalizations had some truth in them. And because of this, I had to laugh out loud a couple of times.

It's Wednesday. Hump-Day. It's all downhill from here!

My best to you guys... and ladies! :)

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

That labeling thing just doesn't work - it's all good if it's played good, which is generally in the ears of the beholder.

In the SW Louisiana and E Texas Zydeco scene, for example, you'll see starched up Black Creole cowboys rocking the house on accordion while singing the Blues in Cajun French. Try tracing that back to skin-color defined roots

+1 on laughing at ourselves - we might as well join the crowd.

This thread reminds me of a book I read last year: How the BEatles Destroyed Rock and Roll by Elijah Wald Pretty entertaining read. The title is kind of tongue in cheek, but it's really an alternative history of American pop in the 20th Century, and it talks a lot about how much more complex, culturally, racially, etc, the real story is than the accepted pop history. I really enjoyed it, but I'm weird that way...

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

Dang, you guys, lighten up. It's just a joke, and if we can't make race jokes anymore, think of all the Irish and Italian jokes we'd miss out on!

local: Korg Nautilus 73 | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

Dang, you guys, lighten up. It's just a joke, and if we can't make race jokes anymore, think of all the Irish and Italian jokes we'd miss out on!

Yeah! ...and all those jokes I've got stored up about those guys who live in Kenya! :laugh:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Yeah! ...and all those jokes I've got stored up about those guys who live in Kenya! :laugh:

:D

I'm sure they are better than my jokes about guys with sheep :whistle:

local: Korg Nautilus 73 | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

That's why the oversensitivity is a sad development, because so much of the best humor is ethnic humor. For the most part, you can still make fun of your own people. I'm half jewish and have a jewish surname, so I can get away with jewish jokes (which exist beyond number). Even so, I wouldn't make them on a internet forum, where I can't look the listener in the eye. Internet humor is a funny thing. Not funny ha-ha.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

:D

I'm sure they are better than my jokes about guys with sheep :whistle:

Ouch :sick::D

Archived