Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Gig Report / Kanker Sighting

mcgoo

Living in Indy, its not that hard to have a Kanker sighting. If hes not out on the road, you can frequently catch him with a variety of local acts, either as a regular or filling in for who knows how many different bands. This past Friday was special though as it was the CD release party for Tad Robinsons latest & greatest CD, titled Back In Style. It was also extra special for me as I knew & had worked with all but one of the 7 people on stage, and knew all of them to be killer players.

The first thing to notice was Kevins rig- His Hammond XK-3c system running through 2, yep 2 Leslies, and his Kawai MP8 behemoth triggering his Nord Electro rack. My 1st thought when I heard Kevin was using 2 Leslies was is Kevin going to ruin his reputation & play in stereo?, but alas, the Leslies were side by side. Darn- Im sure we all wouldve razzed him for days if he had them split with any distance between them.

Anyway- the rig sounded great & the Hammond was huge. Kevins playing continues to amaze me. I may joke about rock & blues being all about E, A & the other one, but there was plenty of rich harmonic complexity going on- much of it had me scratching my head. Kevin weaves in & out of scales like the best jazz sax players do, and yet I never got the sense that what he was doing didnt fit. When he pulls them out, theres such fluidness in his Floyd Cramer type licks that each & every one of them is a joy to hear.

It was also great to hear the band in a jazz club- a place where people cheer after solos (and there was much rejoicing!), and sit & listen to the music.

Tad is a wonderfully soulful singer- a world class artist. I also enjoyed seeing him conduct the band effortlessly. Everyone on stage had an eye on him at all times, as he comfortably cued heads, solos, endings, stabs & so on. The arrangements were loose in structure, but tight in execution- something that isnt learned in a book, but through years of honing ones craft & then having the smarts to start listening to whats going on instead of being too self absorbed.

Its been a while since Ive seen live music that I enjoyed that much. Im too lazy & tired to type more, but Ill leave it at this- If you ever get a chance to catch these guys, its a must do.

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've had the good fortune of hearing Kanker play. His feel is great. He has a deep bag musically but knows what to pull out and where to put it.

OTOH, K inspires me to return to live performance. But, he is also the reason I'm comfortably retired. :laugh:

Really, if you ever get a chance to hear Kanker play live, don't think twice about buying the ticket. Just do it. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

...loose in structure, but tight in execution

What a great description. Wish I coulda been there.

Congrats to KA and Tad Robinson.

Now I gotta go look for a download of the new release.

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

Hey Greg - thanks so much for coming out man. It was a real honor to know that a couple of Indy's finest musicians (you and Mr. Whitman) took the time out of their busy lives to check out our gig. I just wish you had come on up and checked out the twin Leslies. It's such a sound man, nice a full.

Thanks for the praise too, it's real humbling. For those of you who don't know Greg, he's one of those guys we all dream about now. When I met him, he was one of the keyboard guys at the best MI store in town. He was that consummate pro who understood the technology he was selling, inside and out, and at the same time would dial up all those signature patches in a keyboard (like a patch named Lucky One or something where the reference was equally obvious) and proceed to play all the signature parts and licks. He's that guy that just doesn't exist anymore, the guy who can teach you all about the gear he's selling you, and then go out that night and play his tail off. Praise from him is extra-meaningful :thu:

A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

...loose in structure, but tight in execution

What a great description. Wish I coulda been there.

Congrats to KA and Tad Robinson.

Now I gotta go look for a download of the new release.

I was thinking the same thing, nice phrase! :D

Sounds like a good time, nice to hear about the music scene in other places...

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

Just curious. Is there a sonic reason why you pulled the rotor cover on one of the Leslies and not the other?

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

For those of you who don't know Greg, he's one of those guys we all dream about now.

I can honestly say I don't think anyone's ever said that about me before. Makes me all warm & fuzzy in a weird kinda way.

:laugh:

Yeah, maybe I shoulda taken you up on the offer to go check out the rig up close. Somehow I couldn't get past the notion that I didn't want a room full of people to hear me noodle on your rig after you'd just spent the evening killing it. I guess I felt like silence was a little more reverent and deserved.

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

Archived