Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha CP-1 Rhodes

burningbusch

I've only been messing with the CP-1 for a day but I've put a good deal of time into the Rhodes. The sound, properly tweaked, is outstanding. It's way beyond anything in hardware and even better than software, IMO, if you can believe it.

The tone in the lower half of the 73 model is close to perfect. Finally someone has accurately captured the bark of the pre-75 Rhodes. And the response is linear so there are no jumps as you move through the tone from the softest notes to full bark.

The thing is, if you sit down to a stock CP-1 you might be disappointed with the Rhodes. The standard presets use the power amp/speaker simulation. I found that by turning OFF the power amp/speaker sim you uncover a great sound underneath. This is not unlike the SV-1 Rhodes preset which has the amp sim. on resulting in a very bright, bell sound. With the CP-1 the opposite happens. The amp/speaker sims muddy and compress the sound--they make it sound artificial. I did a number of other refinements. In fact the Rhodes in the example below uses the model 75 for the top half and model 73 in the lower. They blend quite nicely. The fact that it's modeled gives the tone an organic warmth that's hard to simulate using samples. This is a no-compromise Rhodes. It responds and sounds like the real thing.

My playing is intentionally exaggerated so you can get a feel for the dynamics and tone. These are just some test examples.

Tweaked CP-1 Rhodes

The acoustic pianos, DX7, CP80 are fabulous as well. The Wurly is very good but it doesn't quite knock me on my ass like the others, but then I haven't spent a lot of time tweaking it either. I have a hunch, in the end, it won't disappoint.

Busch.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Very nice. Is that Rhodes the same in the other CP models?

Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 800 of Harry's solo piano arrangements and tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas These arrangements are for teaching solo piano chording using Harry's 2+2 harmony method.

Busch, I'd like to hear the patch with amp/speaker sim on. I know that on my motif any overdrive on top of, for example, a rhodes patch is also artificial sounding. My nord does a good job making the overdrive sound real.

Great clip.

-Greg

Motif XS8, MOXF8, Hammond XK1c, Vent

Rhodes Mark II 88 suitcase, Yamaha P255

Busch,

How do you think the SV1 Rhodes sound and the CP1 Rhodes sound compare? Which do you prefer?

J+

Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 800 of Harry's solo piano arrangements and tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas These arrangements are for teaching solo piano chording using Harry's 2+2 harmony method.

Sounds great, the modelling really shines through with no sample jumping between velocity zones. How does Lounge Luzard compare in the modelling stakes?
Why would you even ask? LL doesn't sound much like a real Rhodes. Any half-decent sample set is way better. If the CP1 is any good, it won't sound anything like LL.

A few additional thoughts after having spent more time with the instrument.

You have to appreciate the detail Yamaha has gone through in the modeling. It's not just the generation of the source tone. Everything in the chain is modeled after the original instruments/FXs/amps. For example, when you select a Rhodes model, the preamp will include a stereo vibrato FX (depth and speed) plus tone controls. If you select one of the Wurly models you will have a mono tremolo with only depth control. The dyno Rhodes preamp includes normal, bass and overtone controls just like the original. I know of no other example, software or hardware, of where the dyno preamp has been modeled. Coupled with the 816 chorus FX you can get some very DX sounding Rhodes with the dyno. The effects have identical controls to the original.

I've come to appreciate the power amps/speaker models. By bypassing them early on I was able to uncover an excellent tone underneath. But after I've dialed in what I consider to be a great Rhodes sound, adding back the power amp/speaker can make for an interesting alternative sound. The power amps/speakers give it a more 3D sound whereas without, it sound more like the sound right off the harp. It's all great stuff.

Also, the ability to change the hammer hardness and strike point is not a gimmick. These produce very accurate and useful results and it's a great way to add variations.

I don't know how Yamaha "modeled" the basic Rhodes. It sounds VERY authentic and you can't compare it against pure modeling like the EVP88 or LL. It kills both of those.

Jazz+: Yes I like the CP-1 Rhodes over anything else out there in hardware land. I was A/Bing it against the Motif-XS Rack and it wasn't pretty. One sounds like a ROMpler, the other like a Rhodes.

Kanker: I assuming you're asking about the ac piano in mono. There is no dedicated mono sample. You can set the part all the way to the left or right which sounds OK, but you still lose a lot, IMO. The Rhodes (and I believe all the other EPs) are mono--maybe not the CP80. The phasers are modeled after mono FXs.

Busch.

• 3 weeks later...

Busch, have you compared vs. Scarbee yet? Probably the added flexility is enough to put it ahead, since you can dial in any Rhodes of your choosing.

Have you tried to get a Rhodes PianoBass sound out of it yet? That's one of my favourite sounds (along with Organ Bass) when switching from bass guitar to keyboards either for a quick fill or two where the bass needs to keep going, or for a whole song where I need the bass to blend in the mix the way a bass guitar does.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Thanks Busch

Wow, The CP1 Rhodes is a knockout.

"And I Love Her"? Nice reharm!

And that Fusion 75 setting sounds just like RTF. Wow.

Great work Busch. I am so bummed I will not be able to afford one of these, but it's nice to know that it's out there if one day I become extremely wealthy.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Bravo! Nice playing man - anytime I think about posting something of me playing I will of these clips - excellent playing man!

Nowhere man made me laugh - I might try a reharm of that next month - NICE JOB.

The keyboard sounds great - it just moved into the must have category! SWEET.

You're not employed by Yamaha, but you should be ;> They'll be catching up with you now.

Tasteful and creative treatment of the Beatles stuff. I wanted to hear more.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Sorry to say this, the CP1 Rhodes do not sound very authentic to me from these clips but id need to try in person to be sure. From these clips and all the others ive heard there are certain aspects that sound good such as the attack, tine noise and bell tone but other than that, all of these clips have a really hard mid range attack that just doesnt happen on a real rhodes. Right now the Scarbee stuff is way ahead of these in terms of authenticity.

Chief Product Officer at Rhodes®. Project leader and designer of the Rhodes MK8 piano and V8 Plug-in.  

I have to say I'm a bit surprised at all the love for these rhodes sounds. It may be more playable than a Motif rhodes because it doesn't have the velocity switching,...but it sounds very synthetic to me. I guess that's the trade off with modeling vs sampling. Hearing these demos and having played one at Namm, I still prefer the Scarbee rhodes/wurly. But I do think the action on the CP1/5 is really nice, and a step up from the S90/Motif action. I think this action triggering Scarbee would be amazing.

Busch, sounds great. Thanks for that.

I recently went back to give the CP-1 another shot. This time the velocity curves were properly set and I was able to give it a fair audition.

Looking forward to trying out the CP-5.

Ian Benhamou

Keyboards/Guitar/Vocals

[url:https://www.facebook.com/OfficialTheMusicalBox/]The Musical Box[/url]

I just got my latest gear pron mag from Sweetwater, they are listing the CP1 @ 5000 bucks. Wow!

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

I just got my latest gear pron mag from Sweetwater, they are listing the CP1 @ 5000 bucks. Wow!

Yeah, I think the CP1 is aimed at a certain market. Otherwise, it is the CP5 that will sell like hotcakes. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Is this new linear Rhodes in the new CP5 and CP50 ?

Archived