Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL 2010-2011 Thread

Geoff Grace

As for the Bears, I thought Martz was WAAAAYYYY too conservative in the first quarter. Every play a run by the same back.
I was starting to wonder if the Bears had only two players, Cutler and Forte.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like a good SB! Sad that the best part of the season is over now.

Re: Jets, hard to understand how flat their first half was, and they paid for it.

I didn't like the unnecessary roughness call on Eric Smith. It was a brutal hit but way too much in the flow of the play for Smith to recognize the catch wasn't made.

But for me the biggest dubious call of the day--biggest impact certainly--was the Steeler defensive touchdown. I could swear Sanchez' arm had started forward before the ball was knocked loose. He actually spun it, which is usually a good sign that something identifiable as a "throw" has been made.

Well, no blood and tears for this ad hoc "Jets fan." I enjoyed the Jets' run and find Rex to be benign and likable. As for next year, who can say? They have a fine assortment of offensive weapons, a QB on the fast track to maturation and--most significantly--a once-in-a-generation CB who allows you to play defenses no ordinary team would dream of.

They need a couple legit pass rushers, maybe some O-line depth and probably a new place kicker. As for Wetherford he had been great all year before putting up a damn fine Matt Dodge impersonation in the playoffs. Eeek.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Some of the Jets players were saying they were flat in the first half. They looked a little tired, and they were not tackling very well. They've been on an emotional whirlwind since the end of the regular season and its difficult to keep that kind of intensity up.

Cutler is getting a lot of criticism for taking himself out of the game. He wasn't getting medical assistance, no ice on his "bad knee", not on crutches on the sideline. Some former players are questioning his "heart". He was not popular in Chicago before this weekend and that's not going to improve by failing to be on the field during a championship game. LOL

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Congrats to Geoff, Dan, and Mike. Steelers vs. Packers looks like a great Superbowl matchup.

The one bummer for Chargers fans is that the whining about drafting Larry English when Clay Matthews was available will be raised to a new pitch.

Ironically, the first ex-Charger to make the Superbowl from the LT era is LB Matt Wilhelm - not LT or Cromartie. I'm guessing he's a backup rather than a starter for the Pack - he was never more than mediocre as a Charger.

I didn't know much of Cutler's history until I watched the pre-pre-game show about the four teams' road to the conference championships. They showed a little of Cutler back in Denver and why he didn't work out there. I can see why he might not be popular in Chicago now. It seems he's a bit better behaved, but still not as good as he needs to be.

As an aside to that, that show was produced by NFL Films, and it made me wonder how much of the NFL's success is due to NFL Films. They make the plays look so incredibly dramatic. You sit there in awe of some of the things that happened that you may have overlooked during the actual game. Their productions really hype up the elegance, drama, and beauty of the NFL.

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I wonder what the opening line is on the Super Bowl? I'm sure GB will be favored.

Packers by 2.5. Over/under of 45-1/2.

This, I don't get. The Steelers have Super Bowl experience; these Packers don't. Doesn't that count for something?

Looks like a good SB! Sad that the best part of the season is over now.

Speak for yourself--I haven't looked forward to a Super Bowl this much in 14 years! ;):evil::taz:

(As I've mentioned in previous NFL threads, I did NOT look forward to the Super Bowl 13 years ago when my two favorite teams played each other because I didn't want to see Elway lose yet again and I didn't want the Packers' undefeated Super Bowl streak to end. And of course, one of those outcomes was guaranteed.)

Still happy today! :thu::wave:

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Its our second-to-last Tuesday Morning (Keyboard) Cornerback of the year. Im going to miss writing this crap- er, I mean, this terrific article once a week.

On Sunday January 23, I hunkered down in front of my pretty decent LG flat panel TV (something my son uses roughly 742 times as often as I do) and watched both games start to finish. Unless the Super Bowl is absolutely spectacular, I think that, looking back, well agree that the Wild Card and Divisional playoff rounds provided the most exciting football of the year. Yesterdays games were good, but neither showed us the best performance of any of the four teams involved.

A quick update on the Pick Em Pool. Three of us -- Geoff Grace, ProfD, and myself -- got both winners right yesterday. On a side note, I would have preferred the Jets to win, but my feeling was that they spent so much emotional energy on the Pats game the previous week that there was no way theyd have enough left in the tank to beat the Steelers at home.

For the most part, the rest of us got one pick right (almost all for Green Bay): kanker, saku, dB, Magpel, GovernorSilver, and griffinator. In a you shoulda made a pick moment, Mid Life Crisis didnt choose to play in this round, and as a result, Im tied with him in the best of the losers category in the pool. Antimatter, one of our leaders, did make picks, but both were wrong, shockingly. With just one game left, our pool is pretty well locked down at the top spot, but there are still a few places to be determined after that.

ProfD (140)

kanker (137)

Geoff Grace (136)

antimatter (135)

jeffk_nfl2010 (127)

Mid Life Crisis (127)

richwhite9 (124)

dB (123)

Magpel (120)

griffinator (119)

saku (115)

GovernorSilver (112)

Conference Championship Musings

NFC: We sure spend a lot of time talking about the best quarterbacks in the league. You know, Brady, Manning, and Brees. Wait, whats that? The all-time highest career QB rating belongs to Aaron Rodgers? You dont say! Well, Rodgers didnt have his best game of the year yesterday, and things didnt get any better after Julius Peppers rang his bell in the 4th quarter. However, the Packers have been on a roll, and its hard to imagine anyone stopping that momentum at this point.

How about this kid Starks? Something tells me that if he stays healthy, hes going to have a helluva NFL career. Kinda cool to see from a 6th-round pick (kinda like Brady). Green Bay is also looking great defensively, and the game was even more lopsided than the score indicates.

Chicago? Sorry Bears fans, but I never felt they were all that great this year. However, placing the blame on Cutler for that loss is silly. And I hope the jerks who were making wuss comments about him eat some crow after seeing that he tore his MCL in the game. Those of us whove torn ligaments know that theres no way youre going to stay in the game. Despite rooting for the Packers, I was really impressed by Hanie coming in and leading a successful drive. What can I say? I dig it when third stringers make the most of their opportunities.

But it simply wasnt enough against a team like Green Bay.

AFC: Despite enjoying the Jets path through the AFC playoffs, something was blatantly apparent to me: theyd used every ounce of their emotional intensity against New England. All their mojo was gone before they stepped on the field in Pittsburgh.

Despite that, they definitely made a game of it toward the end. I think Sanchez still hasnt hit his prime just yet, and the Jets will absolutely continue as a threat next season. And really, the Steelers, while playing some excellent defense in the first half, didnt look at all like a championship-caliber team to me yesterday. Ben ended up with a 35.5 passer rating for the day, and they really got lazy in the second half overall.

Regardless, theyre the AFC champs, so hats off to them. After the customary week off, its time for that national holiday, or media circus, or commercial celebration, or whatever you want to call the Super Bowl. At the moment, Green Bay is favored by 2-1/2. Id take them at 6-1/2. But Im still looking forward to the game.

We sure spend a lot of time talking about the best quarterbacks in the league. You know, Brady, Manning, and Brees. Wait, whats that? The all-time highest career QB rating belongs to Aaron Rodgers? You dont say!

I did not know that. Cool! :cool:

Best,

Geoff

From the opening page of this thread (posted 03-05-2010)...

Wow, look at da Bears throwing money around. They just nailed Peppers after signing Brandon Manumaleuna and Chester Taylor earlier today.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/

It may finally be fair to call the NFC North the "Black and Blue Division" again.

The Packers defense brutalized Jay Cutler, and the Vikings defense creamed Aaron Rodgers last year. Add this upgraded Bears defense to the mix, and 2010 is going to be a tough year for NFC Central quarterbacks.

Wow, how true did this turn out to be?

Jay Cutler was injured in yesterday's NFC Championship game, Aaron Rodgers had two concussions, and Brett Favre's long starting streak finally came to an end. Then when he returned, he left again with a concussion.

Best,

Geoff

For what it's worth, Sports Illustrated's website is reporting that Cutler has a torn MCL, and wasn't quitting on the tea...

NORD STAGE 2, IPAD 2 with lots of soft syths

Roland td9 expanded

Guitars, basses, Pod Xtl, GT-10b

Garritan, Reason, Symphonic Choirs , Cubase, Sibelius

Three shelter cats

BTW, I heard on ESPN that the best franchise postseason averages in the NFL belong to the Packers and the Steelers, in that order.

Details from Wikipedia:

The Green Bay Packers defeated the Chicago Bears 21 - 14 to head to Super Bowl XLV on February 6, 2011, where they will play the AFC champion Pittsburgh Steelers. Ironically, the Packers and the Steelers have the NFL's best team playoff winning percentages since the NFL introduced the "playoff" system in 1967. Green Bay ranks first (28-16 record; .636 post-season winning percentage); Pittsburgh ranks second (33-19; .635 post-season winning percentage).

Best,

Geoff

Apologies to Jay Cutler. Though it seemed odd that he was hanging around on the sidelines not even limping or with his knee or leg wrapped. That's why many thought he wasn't really hurt. Sorry to see that he is.

Its our second-to-last Tuesday Morning (Keyboard) Cornerback of the year. Im going to miss writing this crap- er, I mean, this terrific article once a week.

As an Official NFL Thread lurker, I've very much enjoyed the TMKC. :thu:

My condolences to Jets and Bears fans. Congrats to Packers fans and my fellow Steelers fans!

I ended up watching the AFC Championship game with my coworkers at a brewery/restaurant in Manteca. We were the only true Steelers fans there. A guy came to talk to us, turns out he was from Washington state, and proceeded to whine about Super Bowl XL, or as he called it, the "Super Heist". Man, those Seahawks fans sure are bitter :laugh: Really, though, he was a pretty nice guy.

Looking forward to being back home in Pittsburgh for the Super Bowl!

Apologies to Jay Cutler. Though it seemed odd that he was hanging around on the sidelines not even limping or with his knee or leg wrapped. That's why many thought he wasn't really hurt. Sorry to see that he is.

I called this (elsewhere) when the media blitz started.

You can walk on a torn MCL - but you can't run on it, and you damned sure can't plant and throw on it.

And if he had been all tough-as-nails-like-Mike-f***ing-Ditka, and taken even a minor hit from the wrong angle, it probably would have wiped the ACL and PCL as well, and the Bears would be looking for a STARTING QB next season, and possibly beyond.

Bears' Jay Cutler has knee sprain

I wasn't happy with the way Jay Cutler handled things in Denver, but I feel sorry for him now. First he gets injured and taken out of the NFC Championship game, then his team loses that game, and then football players around the league literally add insult to injury.

Talk about a tough day! :freak:

I understand why he's alienated people; he alienated me. But that doesn't make it right to take him to task for things that aren't wrong with him and kick him when he's down. I hope next time, players think before they tweet.

'Nuff said.

Best,

Geoff

Jeff, I definitely enjoy the TMKC. Will miss it during the offseason but looking forward to next year. :thu:

I thought Cutler's injury came at the most inopportune time but I didn't question it. Calling the man out prior to knowing the severity of his injury was wrong.

I agree the Packers may have found a diamond in RB Starks. With that kid pounding the ball on the ground and Rodgers' arm and WR corp, the Pack has a strong offense.

If the same Packers that played the Falcons two weeks ago shows up, they should look good in the SB and beyond.

For the Steelers, Mendenhall is running strong too. Along with Big Bonehead and the crew, the Steelers will definitely give the Pack a run for the money.

Both defenses are playing solid. So, beyond the storied franchises and hoopla surrounding the SB, again, I expect a great game. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I wonder what the opening line is on the Super Bowl? I'm sure GB will be favored.

Packers by 2.5. Over/under of 45-1/2.

This, I don't get. The Steelers have Super Bowl experience; these Packers don't. Doesn't that count for something?

On further reflection, I think there's maybe one Packer--Charles Woodson--with Super Bowl experience. In contrast, I'd bet most Steelers players have at least one or two rings.

This makes the Steelers clear favorites by my reasoning. The Packers are certainly up to the challenge, but it's an uphill battle for them as I see it.

In almost every other Super Bowl year, the pundits make a big case of how important Super Bowl experience is; but I have yet to see anyone even mention it so far. Maybe someone eventually will; we still have nearly two weeks to go...

Best,

Geoff

Yeah, Steadyb believes in voodoo, tricks and mirrors for his Seahawks to win. :rolleyes: But the 'Hawks played hard and made the plays against NO and won the game. Their "luck" ran out in the next round.

The Pack or Steelers won't be relying on Voodoo, or what Steadyb or me say, it comes down to football.

As long as Steadyb is doing meaningless predictions, I say that the "Team with the most points wins". A miraculous revelation is it not? :sick:

Cheers,

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Archived