Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL 2010-2011 Thread

Geoff Grace

I've come to the conclusion that I have no freaking idea who's going to win this weekend.

Discuss.

That's why they play the games.

But that hasn't stopped Peter Piper from picking the Packers and Pittsburg.

How many players can Peter Piper pick?

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've come to the conclusion that I have no freaking idea who's going to win this weekend.

Discuss.

That's why they play the games.

But that hasn't stopped Peter Piper from picking the Packers and Pittsburg.

How many players can Peter Piper pick?

Best,

Geoff

Depends on the spread. ;)

How many regulars on this thread are going to Championship Weekend parties or gatherings?

I belong to the American Legion and our club is fairly large (almost 1000 members) The club is going to have a Buffet ($5 bucks for members and their guests) Yeah CHEAP! That's one of the benefits of belonging to the Legion. The food is great and there's lots of it. 4 large screen TV's and the place will be crowded with Steelers fans. The only fans that I know of that are NOT welcome are Ravens fans. There are a few of them in Central PA. (These "fans" somehow avoided getting lynched so far this season. That might change if they manage to sneak in the door and make the mistake of booing the Steelers or are not otherwise invisible!) We don't like Dallas fans either, but if any are there, we get to laugh at them. ;)

I was invited to a friends house too, which is really unusual. Most people have figured out its not wise to invite me to their party if there is FOOD anywhere in the vicinity.

So what's your plans for Sunday?

Cheers,

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

So what's your plans for Sunday?

Normally, I would be getting together with a bunch of friends to watch the game at either a bar or another friend's house. However, that is not the case this year.

I think this is the first time I've ever been away from Pittsburgh during a big championship game. Currently, I'm in Manteca, California for the next week and a half for work. We're working every single day during this time span. Fortunately for me, my boss is a huge Steelers fan, so come 3:00 PST we'll be quitting for the day and heading to a bar (hopefully a Steelers bar if we can find one close to us) to watch the game.

I committed a foul as a Steelers fan, though: I forgot to bring my terrible towel with me!

At any rate, Go Steelers!

http://www.famouslogos.org/logos/steelers-logo.jpg

BTW, I heard on ESPN that the best franchise postseason averages in the NFL belong to the Packers and the Steelers, in that order.

Of course, that shouldn't be used as a predictor of how they'll do this weekend--the bulk of those records are decades removed from the current lineups--but it's nice to know. :cool:

Best,

Geoff

ESPN seems to be campaigning to get Troy Polamalu the MVP award, repeatedly running a story that cites the fact that the Steelers are 16-4 with Polamalu in the lineup and 6-7 when he's out.

Although it's a long shot, I'd love to see him win it. Troy's a great player, and I'm tired of quarterbacks winning the award nearly every season.

Best,

Geoff

I believe the Steelers and Packers will win their divisional championships.

I believe the Packers will have the edge in the SB. No offense MikeT, Dan, Richie and other Steeler fans. :wave:

No sports bar for me. I will be watching the games where I have direct access to the big screen TV and a kitchen. :thu::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Being that I won't pay the TV providers their outrageous rates for their services, I haven't seen any of the ESPN coverage that Geoff has mentioned about the Troy MVP "campaign". Interesting. Troy has been hurt (again) this season and the only thing I remember him saying is that he's "lost a step". Hmm...it doesn't seem to have limited his ability to leap over the Offensive line an grab a QB or two when they least suspect it. He does well at ball theft on occasion too. :/ But I doubt that he will get the MVP award.

I have to agree with Geoff that I'm pretty sick of the QB getting the MVP too, but if they are going to give it to a QB I'd say that Aaron Rodgers most certainly should get a lot of votes. He has done more with less, considering all the injuries to key players the Pack has sustained this season. Give him a fast RB that averages over 100 yards a game and the Pack would have had a better record this season and probably have blown out a lot more teams. He has my vote.

Cheers,

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

I have to agree with Geoff that I'm pretty sick of the QB getting the MVP too, but if they are going to give it to a QB I'd say that Aaron Rodgers most certainly should get a lot of votes. He has done more with less, considering all the injuries to key players the Pack has sustained this season. Give him a fast RB that averages over 100 yards a game and the Pack would have had a better record this season and probably have blown out a lot more teams. He has my vote.
Honestly, IMO the unquestioned MVP this season is Peyton Manning. He willed his team to the playoffs through more key injuries than the Packers suffered, and with a questionable coach who doesn't even know how to use time outs running things. You take Manning off that team, and I don't know if they win 2 games. That, my friends, is value. MVP type value.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Yeah Kevin, you got a point. Too bad about the clueless coach too. :poke:

Mike T.

Mike, thanks for the props for Rodgers. He is surprisingly good and he led the team to the postseason without much of a running game. (Thankfully, that part of the equation seems to be developing well now.) On the other hand, the Packers are an overall strong team that almost beat the Patriots without Rodgers, so I'm not sure his case is compelling enough... yet. (I wouldn't think it a travesty if he won, though. ;) )

Kevin, I can see your point as well. I used to feel that way about John Elway. In his first three Super Bowl appearances, the Broncos had no business being there--without Elway, they were mediocre at best. And yet Elway only won one MVP award during his illustrious career. Manning has been more fortunate in that area than anyone else, perhaps deservedly so; but whether he deserves it this year or not, he's already had plenty of recognition.

Best,

Geoff

It going to be co-o-o-old tomorrow for both Championship games. The expected high in Chicago is 20 degrees, and it should be about 14 degrees in Pittsburgh by game time there.

What a contrast the Super Bowl in Dallas will be for the victors!

Best,

Geoff

It can get cold in Dallas, though with the roof closed, it probably won't be as much fun cold. ;)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

As much as I dislike admitting it, I think Peyton is the MVP. I actually didn't think he should have won it last year, but this year he somehow managed to carry the team on his back to the playoffs with little to no support at all.

I'm kinda tired of seeing QBs win it also, but what are ya gonna do. QB is really the most important position any way you break it down. A team's success and failure usually rests on the QB's shoulders, so it makes sense that they win the award most of the time. It's much tougher for a player at any position other than QB or RB to carry a team.

Interestingly, no wide receiver has ever won the MVP, but a kicker has.

I was at the Pats/Jets game last weekend. While my feet have thawed, I'm pretty sure my soul will not.

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

I look forward to seeing TWO competitive games today. While Aaron Rodgers has been playing off the charts, I think playing a familiar divisional rival in brutal Chicago cold should even the playing field for da Bears.

The Jets and Steelers already played a close game and this game should be no different. The team that gets a break on turnovers or special teams wins the game.

And

J*E*T*S Jets! Jets! Jets!

Here's hoping for two great games today! :thu:

Yes, especially for the sake of the 130,000 folks who'll be sitting in the stands in this bone-chilling weather! Good luck to all four teams and best wishes to football fans everywhere!

The Black Knight always triumphs!

YES!!!

The Packers are going to the Super Bowl! :thu: :thu: :thu:

My condolences to Ken. It was a bad break to lose Cutler midway into the game, not to mention his backup, Collins, near the end of the third quarter. Even with a third string quarterback, the Bears managed to outscore Green Bay during the second half! (Or should I say, "Especially with a third-string quarterback?" Jay Cutler scored zero points during the first half. Caleb Hanie's offense scored 14 points.) Chicago's vaunted defense sure shut down the Packers' offense during the second half. If it weren't for B.J. Raji's interception for a touchdown, I might be congratulating you now. The Bears are one of the greatest franchises in NFL history; they'll be back. :cool:

It's been a 13-year wait since the Packers were last in the Super Bowl. Thirteen seems to be a pivotal number for Green Bay. In Super Bowl XXXI, they provided the NFC's 13th straight Super Bowl victory by beating the Patriots; and then the following year, in Super Bowl XXXII, they lost to the Broncos, thereby capping the streak at 13 games. If they win this year's Super Bowl, it will be the Packers' 13th NFL Championship.

I'm not into numerology, nor am I saying it means anything; but it's an interesting coincidence.

One more piece of trivia: the Packers and Bears have met an NFL record 181 times; but in the postseason, they are now just 1-1. In other words...

The Packers have now avenged their 1941 playoff loss to the Bears!

http://www.geoffgrace.com/Pictures/Packers1.jpeg

GO PACKERS!!! :thu:

Best,

Geoff

Archived