Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Who at the Superbowl... Live or Memorex?

HammondDave

This does not mean that they did not play live over the pre-recorded tracks. These tracks are usually used as safety tracks in case "anything happens to the LIVE FEED"... Watch the youtube video of the performance and you will see/hear some obvious Townsend guitar flubs that match perfectly what he is playing on the guitar. The drummer (Ringo's son) is playing some pretty great fills exactly in time with the so called pre-recorded tracks. Pretty impressive if they were indeed miming it.

The backing tracks are used for more than just in case something happens, theyre there to ensure the band starts and stops on time (and doesnt screw with the on air revenue stream). If theyre so called prerecorded tracks, that suggests you have another name for them? Theres no doubt they were playing over the tracks, thats never been the contention; the thing some of you guys seem to have a real problem coming to terms with is that there were backing tracks. There were, they did, it happened, goodnite. Get over it. Theres no Santa, no Easter Bunny, no Tooth Fairy, the emperors new clothes and all that. :wave:

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For what it's worth. I was pretty sure some of the event was prerecorded, and I prefer when they don't do that.

However I enjoyed the performance a lot. They sounded and looked better than I thought they would, but that's not saying alot...

I'm just saying', everyone that confuses correlation with causation eventually ends up dead.

It gets worse.

There's talk that Rush will be playing at the start of the Olympics tonight...Miming their own vocals.

I can't wrap my head around the idea that performers of Rush's caliber would ever agree to that sort of thing.

I thought everybody new it was backing tracks for all the SuperBowl shows (Prince, McCartney, Stones, etc.)

Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 850 of Harry's solo piano arrangements of standards and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas 

It gets worse.

There's talk that Rush will be playing at the start of the Olympics tonight...Miming their own vocals.

I can't wrap my head around the idea that performers of Rush's caliber would ever agree to that sort of thing.

Actually Alex' backing vocals always sounded canned to me, especially when he opens his mouth & sounds exactly like Geddy.

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

Yamaha Montage M7, Nord Electro 6D, Hammond XK1c, Dave Smith PolyEvolver & Rack, Moog Voyager,  Modal Cobalt 8X, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

My local newspaper had the following headline:

"The Who Boys Rock Like Their 99"

:blush:

The local newspaper could use a competent copy editor.

"The Who Boys Rock Like They're 99"

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

I'm guessing that many publishers (not just newspapers, but magazines and online as well) simply use spell checkers instead of copy editors to save money. Even a syntax checker would not have caught that one (they could have a "99," which is a noun)...

I'm guessing that many publishers (not just newspapers, but magazines and online as well) simply use spell checkers instead of copy editors to save money. Even a syntax checker would not have caught that one (they could have a "99," which is a noun)...

Most likely true, but even in the absence of editing, someone with a journalism degree doesn't know the difference between "their" and "they're".

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

Just a few thoughts...

first, the last thing that i want to see in the middle of a football game is a rock concert.

They had quite a bit more time to set up than four minutes.

Any producer of an event of that magnitude is going to have a backup/safety plan.

You cannot judge anything by timing between what you hear and what you see. Timing between the audio and video in TV blows today.

I don't know how you guys can claim to 'know' anything from what you saw other than what seemed obvious... like Pete's guitar was live, his and Rogers mics were live ...which does not preclude mixing in tracks, partial tracks, notes, or running the whole mess through autotune as Shania Twain does on tour (her whole show is run on a SMPTE time code track, her voice is edited, tweaked, compressed and effected on the syllable level, the sound guys sit and watch the automated consoles do their thing, only on hand in case of disaster, even the fiddles go through Pro Tools on their way to your ears, is it live or memorex? who cares. the difference is moot.)

I've been involved in a number of events on various levels from the planning to just being a grunt out there dragging mic cables around. Most of the live shows that you see these days are not 'live' anymore, or contain significant canned elements. At least I know for sure that the Who CAN rock, and that they actually DID rock for many many years, while the ball-less whiners that take the concert stages today may or may not be able to actually sing or play. Those two 60+ year old guys acquitted themselves pretty well, given that most 40 year olds could not have run around on a stage like that for 15 minutes without stopping for a beer. And a big hit of oxygen.

Given my choice, I'd never see another rock band at a Super Bowl, ever. I don't care who it is. But if that is such a great idea, how about we get a quarter of football between acts at the next arena rock show... think it would help to sell tickets? (Yeah, think that the whole idea blows. In a bad way.) When I'm watching football, I wanna watch football. At half-time can't some high school band stomp around the field for me playing "Feelings" or something???

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Archived