Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Medical Dangers of Jazz

Bridog6996

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL that was an ....ummmm.... interesting article :)

:rawk: <---this guy looks like he has guitar nipple

Ok, it's late, and I've had a few beverages...but there's something oddly satisfying saying "guitar nipple" out loud.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

I think Dr. Shock has waayyyy too much time on his time to be writing a nonsense blog like that. His time would be better spent studying some jazz!!

:rolleyes:

Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

"Raised pressure in the neck region can increase mortality either by reducing blood supply to the brain (cerebrovascular ischaemia) or venous stasis (thromboembolism)."

This would explain some real bad solos I have heard. On the whole I think the learned Dr is FOS. His biggest mortality risk is saying something stupid, me thinks.

"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

Yeah, this line of 'thinking' bugs me so much, I'm posting a second time. Apparently non-jazz musicians never abuse their bodies with drugs or alcohol, or develop "guitar nipple". :freak:

If this BS was carried to the farthest extreme, we'd see jazz outlawed as a health risk, like smoking. Twilight Zone: "Since we know the well documented health risks posed by smoking and playing jazz, public education is paramount to reduce these threats to zero." ;)

Beware the dangers of unprotected sax!!!

http://www.bmj.com/content/vol319/issue7225/images/large/kins5260.f2.jpeg

This article contains the above graph, along with some analysis of musician longevity versus which instrument you play.

According to the article (based on statistical analysis of historical musician mortality) on average:

- sax/woodwind players die first

- then brass

- then keyboardists

- then percussionists

- finally, vocalists

Interestingly, being a multi-instrument player greatly reduces your chance of packing it in early.

... but what my other instrument is a sax??!?

I had to read both pieces a few times. Is this a joke? No, they seem to be serious. Who is this Dr. Shock? And who the heck is this BMJ? The British Medical Journal? No sh!t? These folks are for real? They get paid for writing this stuff?

If they were right about this, and circular breathing is the culprit, Kenny G would have died a long time ago.

--wmp

And then there's the psychological trauma induced by a mother who is never impressed by anything you play...

+1000.

My late mother never understood my choice to play jazz and in my young days would always seem to be quoting Joe's Garage, Act I by saying, "don't you boys know any nice songs."

Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

I'd never heard of guitar nipple, but I guess that kinda explains why, with the way I sit, I have piano organ :rimshot:

I was thrilled the day I could finally reach a full octave :cool:

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

When I was an intern, my neurology attending, who was an avid amateur musician (a cellist IIRC) had just returned from a medical meeting specifically devoted to musician's injuries. He admitted that it was mostly an excuse to hang out and play chamber music with some really good players, but was actually related to his profession.

So, there is a field of study out there.

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

Archived