Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Gregg Allman Q (Dreams)

Joe Muscara

I'm not very good at picking out Hammond settings and all, but I think I "spotted" this one and I wanted to confirm it.

I was just listening to the studio version of Dreams, and during the low sections such as the beginning of the song, it sounds to me like he's using a chorus/vibrato setting (don't know which one) through a Leslie on slow. Is that correct?

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That´s what I hear too. Some variation of the Jimmy Smith sound, C2 or C3 with 3rd percussion and leslie on slow.

My drawbars go to eleven.

Gear: Roland VR-09, Nord Electro 2 61, Korg CX-3. Hear my music: facebook.com/smokestoneband

Cool! I love it when I have these realizations. Even though I'm getting old, I'm still learning and showing the capacity to interpret information. The doctors would be proud. ;)

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I am a huge Greg and ABB fan but I have to admit that Molly Hatchet's version is way better.

I like them both. I've been playing the MH version for years but always wanted to change gears mid-song and kick in ABB version. We also do Stormy Monday too so we really have enough slow blues tunes that we don't need to test my theory.

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

I am a huge Greg and ABB fan but I have to admit that Molly Hatchet's version is way better.

Sacrilege!

Molly Hatchet's version has nasal vocals and guitars going dink dinka dink dinka dinka dink dink.

ABB has glorious Hammond and Greg Allman singing. Nuff said! :D

Moe

---

Please don't use MH and the ABB in the same breath. The Allmans swing, Hatchet doesn't. Being a great fan of the So. rock genre i always hate it when MH gets lumped in w/the great So. rock bands from the 70's (Allmans, Skynyrd, Charlie Daniels, Marshall tucker, etc...) These are A bands in my book. Hatchet, a B band and what did they have against keyboard players? They seemed to have no use for us. Screw em'.

...original w/keyboards always trumps "version" sans keyboards.

The time I saw 'em play Dreams live ('70), Allman wasn't using a Leslie, he was amping his B...

I'd typed this on Friday but chickened out. Joe, try it with Leslie OFF. Some of the "motion" you hear comes from the organ itself. Observe the posted perc and registrations with Leslie OFF. Sounds great on my (Hammond) M3!

Regards,

Joe

Sacrilege!

Molly Hatchet's version has nasal vocals and guitars going dink dinka dink dinka dinka dink dink.

+47... with the nasal!

Someone should have told MH to stop recording that song once they heard how it was sounding.

-Greg

Motif XS8, MOXF8, Hammond XK1c, Vent

Rhodes Mark II 88 suitcase, Yamaha P255

...original w/keyboards always trumps "version" sans keyboards.

The time I saw 'em play Dreams live ('70), Allman wasn't using a Leslie, he was amping his B...

Ummm... I'm no expert on the subject, but I was under the impression that MH had a keyboard/B3 player. Granted, not as prominent (or talented) as Mr. Allman, but there's still a guy on stage... ;)

I think MH has a better logo, though:

http://www.a-51x.com/sloth/pictures/az_599_Molly%20Hatchet_Molly%20Hatchet.jpg

Almost as cool as Iron Maiden's "Eddie"...

Ummm... I'm no expert on the subject, but I was under the impression that MH had a keyboard/B3 player. Granted, not as prominent (or talented) as Mr. Allman, but there's still a guy on stage... ;)

Thanks for setting the uninformed straight Sven. There is in fact a prominent B3 part in MH's version. Maybe people out to think before they type.

Steve

A Lifetime of Peace, Love and Protest Music

www.rock-xtreme.com

OK, I just listened to both versions. I can't understand, and never will be able to understand, the Allman Brothers fixation. They were a marginal band at their very best, and Dreams is about as marginal as they can get. For those who were saying it swings harder, I think it swings about as hard as a concrete slab. IMO, the Molly Hatchet version is infinitely more happening.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

2 words = Whipping Post
Another one I just can't grasp the appeal of...

For a guy who seems to have such a deep, profound understanding and respect for the blues and soul music, I find that hard to believe.

Ian Benhamou

Keyboards/Guitar/Vocals

[url:https://www.facebook.com/OfficialTheMusicalBox/]The Musical Box[/url]

Kevin can be a little different. :shrug: ;)

2 words = Whipping Post
Another one I just can't grasp the appeal of...

For a guy who seems to have such a deep, profound understanding and respect for the blues and soul music, I find that hard to believe.

That's exactly why I can't understand the Allman Brothers fascination.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

That's exactly why I can't understand the Allman Brothers fascination.
Molly Hatchet version sucks, so everyone must be fascinated with ABB. lol

-Greg

Motif XS8, MOXF8, Hammond XK1c, Vent

Rhodes Mark II 88 suitcase, Yamaha P255

Archived