Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Gregg Allman Q (Dreams)

Joe Muscara

2 words = Whipping Post
Another one I just can't grasp the appeal of...

For a guy who seems to have such a deep, profound understanding and respect for the blues and soul music, I find that hard to believe.

After Live at the Fillmore, they really became the quintessential southern rock band. Melissa, Jessica, and Ramblin Man are what sent them mainstream. Just Ain't My Cross to Bear (pre Fillmore) is probably their best blues/soul song.

Steve

A Lifetime of Peace, Love and Protest Music

www.rock-xtreme.com

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For a guy who seems to have such a deep, profound understanding and respect for the blues and soul music, I find that hard to believe.
That's exactly why I can't understand the Allman Brothers fascination.

Yeah, but don't forget that the Allman Brothers are a ROCK band with blues and southern soul influences not the other way around. Their music is not to be confused as authentic blues but blues and southern soul infused rock.

Ian Benhamou

Keyboards/Guitar/Vocals

[url:https://www.facebook.com/OfficialTheMusicalBox/]The Musical Box[/url]

That's exactly why I can't understand the Allman Brothers fascination.

Yeah, but don't forget that the Allman Brothers are a ROCK band with blues and southern soul influences not the other way around. Their music is not to be confused as authentic blues but blues and southern soul infused rock.

Believe me, I get that, I just don't understand what's appealing about them. It's just not strong music, regardless of genre. I love southern rock, have since I was a kid, grew up on a lot of that stuff, and have never thought much of the Allmans.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

In Memory of Elizabeth Reed, Jessica, Ramblin Man, Midnight Rider....if for no other reasons, but there are more. Great songs! Their last album "Hittin The Note" is really really good, even if you don't like the older stuff: High Cost of Low Livin....Desdemona.....

I've come around to the mono way of thinking, but gonna be disagreein' on this!

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Ok, I guess I don't know all there is to know about Hatchet and maybe should not have made reference to them not using keyboards when i don't know much about them. I stand corrected. It's just that I have recently picked up another gig w/ a local SO. rock band and they gave me a couple of MH tunes to learn. Flirtn' w/ disaster, Whiskey man, Let the good times roll, and something else i can't remember right now. No keyboard tracks on the recordings they gave me. Sure wasn't hard coming up w/ keyboard parts. The songs pretty much play themselves. Flirtn' was just screaming' for a hammond part. I still think they suck though. Sorry...

As far as the ABB. They will always be a great band in my book. Damm, these guys jammed. Listen to the fillmore album a rock band that did live improv. C'mon. These guys had soul. Thank you Tonysounds. Yes, they were prolific song writers. Classics. Like someone else said. Whipn' post!! Let's not forget the great piano tracks laid down by Chuck leavell on the "Bros and Sisters" album. If you haven't heard "Hittn' the Note" album yet take a listen. Maybe the best thing they have done since duane was around. Listning to the AB as a young lad became my "gateway drug " so to speak into my love of r/b, blues, funk and all jazz. Cheers....

Archived