Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Snow

SK

Well, I usually don't believe it is going to snow here until I see it.

Shortly after 11 pm, I witnessed it. A trip that normally takes 30 minutes turned into 1.5 hours.

Cars were spun out. Tractor trailers had stopped in the middle of the road. The northbound side was a parking lot.

Everyone stay safe. Mother Nature means business when she kicks up. I try not fool around with her too much during these times. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FINALLY!!! BEAUTIFUL GLORIOUS WHITE SNOW!!!!

I'm calling all my work buddies today who give me crap for buying a snow blower a few years ago and sticking the phone up next to the engine. Not that I have a big driveway but with my bad back I knew my day would come. My kids may be too cool to go play in the snow now but definitely not me and my lab. And if it gets too cold I'll have to go inside and struggle to find something to do. :/

We're fortunate here to have outstanding snow removal services that keep the roads moving even in the heaviest snow. Not everyone has those resources. Stay safe, stay home, cook some comfort food, give yourself a snow day and relax during the busy holiday season.

We are expecting a little over a foot, and the family is abuzz. My daughter is in two nutcracker performances ... so I have to make sure we can come in and go out. I reckon I'll be using those red things you got in your photo Dan. ;)

The reactions to snow in different places is pretty funny. I remember when I was at University of Maryland, when the first snowfall of the year was threatening, all the news reports were about what officials were trying to decide to do. Do we sand the roads? How many plows get ready? Even though it snowed every year, it really shut down the area.

When I lived in MI, nothing seemed to shut down, everyone just came in late. After almost having a nasty accident one morning on my way to work and seeing everyone else still get there well after me, I came up with a new rule. Wait until after the sun is up to drive to work on snow days.

Here in Houston, one of the funny stories was that the city of Conroe (just north of Houston) had doubled their snow handling equipment. Yes, they went from one snow plow to two. :laugh:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Oh I hate the snow...1st nite of the week I will have to go gig, and move my stuff in that stuff... actually, 1st nite of the season..something about moving your equipment when there's snow...think after the holidays Im going to head south...meanwhile my friends in the warmer climates should be calling anytime now..

Was talking to a guy at my gig last nite, he said last Christmas he was in Florida and it didnt seem like Christmas without snow....

what a thing to say!!!!!

I am perfectly happy to spend Christmas day on a nice....warm....beach with a little tiny tree set up in the sand under my umbrella.....8)

I have only had ONE White Christmas that I really liked. 10 years ago, my wife and I were in Oahu and flew back Christmas night. We got up, went down to the beach, and enjoyed the WHITE sands of Wakiki.

In my younger days, I worked in broadcasting - we HAD to stay on regardless of weather - plus where I am in eastern NC we get a few dustings most years during the winter, maybe an inch or so; and about every 15 years we get three feet. The roads people have very little real removal equipment. Have I mentioned - I hate snow. It was 48 degrees at 8 this morning, now at 2pm, it is 38.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Kanker,

Loved that video! Just played it for my wife ("Hey honey, come here and this check out!") and she promptly did an about face out of the room after about two bars! Hahahahahaha....

Here's my personal fav:

[video:youtube]

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

I'm at a gig in ocean city, md. We had rain all night and into today, and it finally started snowing a while ago. Supposed to get a few inches. At home, about 70 miles north, my wife reports about 18" so far and it's not showing any signs of letting up.

We're playing at a hotel. There were few people there last night and tonight will be totally dead. I'm hoping they shut us down early and we can tear down and come back to the band house and get a good nights sleep before attempting to drive home in the morning.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Sounds like you'll be driving into the storm Dan, so be careful.

The weather guys here in Richmond are lost - some say we're supposed to get up to 8 more inches by midnight, and the totals since yesterday are about 11" to 16" in different areas. Other weather reports say the snow is over... so who knows...

I spent two hours shoveling snow and clearing off the vehicle. My handiwork is covered with a new layer. But, I'd rather shovel a few inches versus feet.

Snow removal services should be better here. Between city, county and state government and independent contractors, a couple feet of snow shouldn't paralyze the area.

In contrast, the Skins are scheduled to play a football game on Monday night. Their press release is 25 million pounds of snow will be removed before gametime. Maybe that is where all of the snow removal resources have been allocated. :laugh:

By Monday, main roads and side streets should be plowed. Still, during a snowfall and holiday season, a low attendance record might be broken considering fans come from VA, PA, DE and WV.

Nonetheless, I'm chillin' in the house. I've got my food and snacks. I'm just waiting on the Saturday night football game. Let it snow. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Amateurs....

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y193/Bluntinst/valannie.jpg

Fair point (and quite a picture), but it's all about the available snow-clearing equipment.

We definitely have snow plows in the DC area, but nothing like what you guys in the Great White North have (both in terms of number and massive-ness). I remember being in Vermont one winter and seeing a plow with tires that were taller than my minivan. We've got nothing like that down in DC!

Given the amount of snow that we get in a typical winter, it's just not cost-effective to procure and maintain those same levels of snow-clearing equipment. Hence, a relatively small dumping by "Northern Standards" can really paralyze this area.

Noah

There are certainly snow "amateurs" out there. I'm not one of them, but having moved back to Snow Amateur Central, I can tell you that you become more defensive when you drive in bad weather - because of the amateurs.

So I've really become a 'faux snow amateur' here for survival purposes. :)

I remember being in Vermont one winter and seeing a plow with tires that were taller than my minivan. We've got nothing like that down in DC!

Yeah, a Snow Assault Plow (SAP) would be nice. :laugh:

Considering how often we get snow, DC, MD and VA would have to jointly purchase and share a SAP. :D:cool:

PD

I lived in Syracuse and Portland, Me. Those places know how to move snow and Winters look very much like Montreal especially in Me where the cold and quantity keeps it mounting up.

CT is only slightly South but gets just warm enough to melt away between storms. The result: horrible snow removal. Always underbudgeted. The policy is called 'snow and then pray for rain'. 3-4 inches are a disaster and a snow day. And here most snow removal is done by small pickups not the great orange beasts of the north.

California State Highway 17 connects San Jose and Silicon Valley to Santa Cruz, a beach town on the coast. It crosses the coast range, and the summit is around 1,800 feet (550 meters).

About once every 5 or 10 years snow sticks on the ground at the summit for more than an hour or two in quantities of more than a few inches. When that happens, the road is completely shutdown. Why, you snow-country people ask? Simple. No snow removal equipment. None.

:D

Just the way I like it... :thu:

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

I remember when I was at University of Maryland, when the first snowfall of the year was threatening, all the news reports were about what officials were trying to decide to do. Do we sand the roads? How many plows get ready? Even though it snowed every year, it really shut down the area.

Ah Joe,

I remember trying to drive home from College Park back in the Feb. '83 snow storm. Argghhh! Never made it plus my car's breaks decided that weekend to pretty much stop working. What a time!

"The devil take the poets who dare to sing the pleasures of an artist's life." - Gottschalk

Soundcloud

Aethellis

Wrong again, chaps! Although we are not at all amateurs over here in Edmonton, we never see a snow plow. Now, we may not get the same kind of snow Québec gets, as much gets dumped on the Rockies before it can make it to the city, but we still have a good bit. People shovel their walkways and sidewalks and the snow on the streets either gets melted by the friction or just patted down by all the cars. We do sand the streets, though.

I made it home fine today, the roads were in pretty good shape considering we have close to 2' of snow on the ground. It did nothing in OCMD, maybe a half inch of snow and ice.

Our gig was brutal, there were 8 people there and if there was a single customer in the club, we had to keep playing. The good part was all 8 of them danced and had a great time, and the band played well. The room was very nice and the house system sounded great, all QSC powered speakers. Finally the last couple who were talking to the bartender left during our 4th set, so we got to quit without having to do the last set. The whole weekend was like a paid rehearsal, we had a blast hanging out together and had a lot of fun. Just had to accept that the weather was going to affect the gig, and not worry or dwell on it.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Archived