Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Yamaha stage pianos!

Tobias Åslund

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know why no one has posted the Keyboard Mag Exclusive Video yet, but here ya go.

B3-er beat me to it

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Sounds nice. I'm always amazed at how in 2009 so much memory in a given instrument is STILL allotted to electric grand samples. I know it's probably just me but IMO the original sounded like ass on a plate, let alone a replication...

Please, no more debate about the CP70/80. :deadhorse:

Sounds nice. I'm always amazed at how in 2009 so much memory in a given instrument is STILL allotted to electric grand samples. I know it's probably just me but IMO the original sounded like ass on a plate, let alone a replication...

Nah, folks have a similar disdain for the DX EP that has found its way into every KB.

A Yamaha DP would be incomplete without the full range of acoustic and electric piano sounds especially those they brought to market.

Besides, those 70s/80s songs require that sound for the sake of authencity. :laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

A Yamaha DP would be incomplete without the full range of acoustic and electric piano sounds especially those they brought to market.

Besides, those 70s/80s songs require that sound for the sake of authencity. :laugh::cool:

+1. Besides, how else would we play Behind The Lines & Here Comes The Flood? :wave:

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

I hope those douchers over at roland enjoyed the $6000 they suckered out of V-piano customers.

I"M SO EXCITED ABOUT THIS BOARD!

-Greg

Motif XS8, MOXF8, Hammond XK1c, Vent

Rhodes Mark II 88 suitcase, Yamaha P255

I much prefer the Rhodes sounds on this to the SV-1. More "natural," less bell attack, and more variety.

Yamaha has always lead when it comes to realistic EP sounds, imo. The Rhodes and Wurli sounds on the EX5 were very good (fo the time), on the Motif they are even better (damn near perfect) and from that video they improved them even more. Can't wait to try this board in person. I've been wanting an 88key controller / digital piano for my home studio for a few years now. This might take the cake.

After watching the Keyboard Mag video I have much more of an impression that these pianos use sampling to create the basic tone vs. a pure modeling approach. This IS THE WAY TO GO, IMHO. Certain soft synths, e.g. Digidesign Velvet, use sampling with modeling to really give you the best of both worlds. You get the accurate tone but with no velocity jumps and much more control over shaping of the sound.

I don't know if the wooden key is all that significant. I have "wooden keys" on my Yamaha CLP-F01. They are only the white keys, the backs are plastic. It's not like you get this incredible sense of a different feel from plastic. If the feel of the action is as nice as the RD700GX, I'd be thrilled.

These new pianos from Yamaha look really hot. It's shocking for Yamaha to come up with something that isn't just a refinement of what they've been doing for many years.

Busch.

After watching all four videos I'm guessing the price will be considerably higher than the CP300's price. I hope I'm wrong.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

The CP5 looks like a nice compromise. You give up the DX7 sounds and one of the two EQ versions from both the acoustic pianos, but that's it. You gain a standard AWM2 sample set so you could layer piano with pad and split rhodes with upright bass, which you can't do, from what I can ascertain, with the more expensive CP1. You seem to give up quite a bit going down to the CP50.

Busch.

The CP5 looks like a nice compromise. You give up the DX7 sounds and one of the two EQ versions from both the acoustic pianos, but that's it.

Busch, were you able to find a list of the sounds in each instrument to verify this, or did I miss this info in the videos? The manuals don't seem to be available on the Yamaha web site.

The CP5 looks like a nice compromise. You give up the DX7 sounds and one of the two EQ versions from both the acoustic pianos, but that's it.

Busch, were you able to find a list of the sounds in each instrument to verify this, or did I miss this info in the videos? The manuals don't seem to be available on the Yamaha web site.

I was using the comparison chart.

CP Comparison Chart

Busch.

You early naysayers should remember that Yamaha's pianos aren't known for their warmth

I have to challenge this statement. Have you ever played a good-quality Yamaha grand? They definitely have warmth. They have brightness too, maybe more than some other brands. But that doesn't mean they don't also have warmth.

You early naysayers should remember that Yamaha's pianos aren't known for their warmth

I have to challenge this statement. Have you ever played a good-quality Yamaha grand? They definitely have warmth. They have brightness too, maybe more than some other brands. But that doesn't mean they don't also have warmth.

Point taken. I wasn't suggesting that they aren't or can't be warm, but that they're generally thought of as being less warm than some other pianos, i.e. people look to Yamaha for a brighter sound.

Archived