Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

KBs-Where are They Now?

ProfD

Vintage KBs and synths find their way to collectors.

I believe most old Korgs i.e. M1, T series, 01W, Trinity, etc., ended up in Jamaica or somewhere in the hands of Reggae KB players. :laugh:

Collectors, Ebay and Craigslist do not account for all 250k DX7s and other KBs produced from the mid-80s to present. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well we know Mo 'Wurst has a DX7, so that's one. I have another, so that's two... :D

:D

I guess there are a lot of those things at music schools. At my conservatory there are plenty of Korg i's, Yamaha DX7IIs, Roland XV 50, Korg X50Ds and stuff like that. They are barely used. Mostly as MIDI-controllers for computer class.

My brother got the above-mentioned DX7 at a private music school. I think that's what happens to those boards before retirement unless, of course, they get trashed by some bad-ass keyboard hero.

It's not a clone, it's a Suzuki.

I think Trent Reznor bought all the US Dx7s to destroy on tour, literally. (THANKS!)

I think the M1s and such ended up in the Phillipines, where they then left with their new owners to hotels and karoake bars around the planet.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Wish I still had that mint condition analog Korg CX3 with flight case that I let go for very little back in the early 1990's. I don't know if they've achieved "vintage" status, but they still seem to sell fairly high on ebay.

My daughter still has my old DX7.

DX7s just won't die. Without even trying I can think of at least 6 of them at various friend's homes, including the one I played in the 80s!
Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

I have 2 DX-7's at my place. One has about 4 broken keys, and dead battery. The other still works great and serves as the main MIDI controller for my Mac/Logic setup. Both have the Grey Matter upgrade installed. I also have a TX rack with 4 modules, each the equivalent of a DX. I was a big fan of FM back in the day.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

I still have a TX-7 the desktop version of the DX7 and a M1r and O1r.....can't seem to let go.
Montage 7, Mojo 61, PC-3, XK-3c Pro, Kronos 88, Hammond SK-1, Motif XF- 7, Hammond SK-2, Roland FR-1, FR-18, Hammond B3 - Blond, Hammond BV -Cherry

I still have my Korg DW8000 that I bought in 1986. It still works perfectly. I retired it from gig use about 5 years ago.

My oldest board is a Crumar Orchestrator...it still works.

A little frayed around the edges.

I never owned a DX7

I did have an ARP 4 voice piano back then along with the Crumar.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

My oldest board is a Crumar Orchestrator...it still works.

A little frayed around the edges.

Wow I had a Crumar Orchestrator back in the day that I bought new at D'Js over in Cicero, Ill. Sold it to a friend over in Indianna back in the mid 90s.....

Matt

Montage 7, Mojo 61, PC-3, XK-3c Pro, Kronos 88, Hammond SK-1, Motif XF- 7, Hammond SK-2, Roland FR-1, FR-18, Hammond B3 - Blond, Hammond BV -Cherry

Wow I had a Crumar Orchestrator back in the day that I bought new at D'Js over in Cicero, Ill. Sold it to a friend over in Indianna back in the mid 90s.....

Matt

Yeah, got mine in 1979, senior in highschool. I thought I was the coolest kid :)

I forgot that I also had and wish I still had a Prophet 600.

It was my first "Real" synth and first foray into the world of midi.

That and a very old cakewalk program for the Apple 2E, and I was all set ;)

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

I traded my first electronic keyboard, a GEM organ, for a bunch of tools and hardware!

My Chroma/Apple IIe system should be in the hands of a wealthy collector in the south of Italy. My PPG Wave 2.2 was bought by a teenager who also owned a CS-80 (!). I left a portabilized Hammond L-100 in the hands of the Italian army. The Casio AZ1 was purchased by a carpet dealer. And don't even get me started about the Minimoog...

Other elctric pianos, workstations, amps etc., I just don't remember, except a Wurlitzer which i sold to a Supertramp fanatic who drove 800 km to pick it up. :freak::)

I also got another Wurly stolen.... for sure I would like to know where *that* is now! :mad:

I saw a KORG M1 (Keyboard version) in a resale shop for $45 the other day. The mod wheels were busted up, so I didn't give it a second look. I still have my M1 rack and I know a guy who still likes and uses his.

I still have and play my Matrix 12 but I would not take it on a gig anymore.

MPCX, RD-800, Vsynth, Matrix 12

My old Polysix is still sitting in the garage. I wish I had kept my very first synth, a PAiA Strings 'n Things I built from the kit in high school.

I still have my Polysix in my basement rehearsal space. I had it MIDIed up with the Kenton kit back in 2001.

My DW8000 still works great too and I've loaned it to a friend for his daughter to play. Our bassist still has my Crumar Performer and it still works as well.

I wish I knew where my old Mini-Korg is, though.

"The devil take the poets who dare to sing the pleasures of an artist's life." - Gottschalk

Soundcloud

Aethellis

landfills

:laugh:

The funniest part is, months prior to release, that KB had a full page ad in the trade magazines.

Musos would work, save, beg, borrow and steal to get it. They spent hours programming sounds and playing it. Bought a case, every patch cassette, card, ROM, OS upgrade, etc. That KB went on many gigs.

At some point, it was replaced by a shiny, newer model. From there, it all went downhill.

Days would go by without a caress or look. That KB eventually got dusty. It was thrown into a case and put away in a closet, basement or garage.

After many years idling, that KB was thrown out with other items taking up space. Final desination...landfill.

I could have saved a few coins had I stopped at the Kawai K3. :D:cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I found a DX7 here...

[video:youtube]

Sorry...

Well, there´s always to find something funny or annoying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmjZToHAIhE&feature=related

5min 45sec

FM solo sound, TX816 TF-1 module triggered w/ KX88

any questions ?

There´s more FM happening in the ending of that tune.

Chick used tons of FM on the very 1st Electric band record and on the following tour,- I´ve seen these concerts.

AFAIK, Bo Tomlyn programmed some patches for him.

A.C.

Archived