Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

KB Players-What Do You Want to Hear?

ProfD

Inspired by the street corner threads.

KC contains a variety of KB players. Here is the deal:

On a street corner stage, there is a piano, B3, Rhodes, Clav, synth and ROMpler. Enough KBs to cover the bases.

However, the performer will be playing solo. No backing band or tracks.

Regardless of style/genre, let us know one tune you would want to hear and would be impressed if played properly.

Away from band set-lists, maybe this will help KB players expand the repertoire and satisfy their brethren too. :):cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Prof,

Not trying to sidestep your question, but I don't care what (s)he plays as much as how (s)he plays. Could be some Bela Bartok, could be Crepescule with Nellie, could be something like Music For Airports ... maybe even some Joplin. Could be something original.

I can't define it ... but it's a certain level of passion, technique and taste stirred together with some attitude about life.

Back in the late '70s/early '80s there was a guy in Venice Beach,Ca. who would wheel an old upright out onto the boardwalk

on a couple of skateboards and play the most amazing stride piano I have ever heard. He kind of looked like Marty Feldman in 'Young Frankenstein' but man that cat could play. I couldn't name a single tune he played - they may have been original or improvisational for all I know - but it was some of the best entertainment I have ever witnessed.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

Similarly, I ran across a cat in VA Beach playing stride piano and GAS tunes during their "Music on the Boardwalk" celebration. The man talks and tells jokes while playing like a piano roll. Amazing.

Tusker, your point is very valid. If one has a deep bag and plays well, the tune really doesn't matter. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Back in the late '70s/early '80s there was a guy in Venice Beach,Ca. who would wheel an old upright out onto the boardwalk

on a couple of skateboards and play the most amazing stride piano I have ever heard. He kind of looked like Marty Feldman in 'Young Frankenstein' but man that cat could play. I couldn't name a single tune he played - they may have been original or improvisational for all I know - but it was some of the best entertainment I have ever witnessed.

Hey, during my first trip to L.A. in 1999, I went to Venice Beach, and that guy was (still) there! I remember listening to him for 20 minutes or so. He looked quite old. Some of the other California guys could confirm that.

I know I guy who I've occasionally subbed for, not a jazz or stride player, strictly rock'n'roll, also sings, who attached half a bicycle and a couple more wheels to a small upright and used to play it while riding it around the local shopping mall. Very entertaining.

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

Ligeti's Atmosphères FTW.

+1

in a medley with Ives' "The Unanswered Question". :D

+1. Arranged for Clavinet. :D :D

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

Interesting that among that among KB players, there are not more tunes they would want to hear.

If anybody here has ever played solo piano on a cruise ship, feel free to provide your Top 10 requests. Thanks. :cool:

PD

In keeping with the street corner vibe, I'd like to hear someone playing something incredibly funky on the clav and maybe singing. When cats play solo clav and make it feel incredible, I can dig it.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Archived