Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

KB/Synth Gear Spotting in TV/Film

ProfD

Thread idea popped into my head yesterday as a I saw Chevy Chase playing a Rhodes in "Caddyshack".

Off the top of my head, I also remember the following:

Korg M1--"Groundhog Day"

E-mu sampler--Ferris Buellers Day Off" (Believe it was the orginal Emax).

Synclavier--"Cosby Show"

Yamaha DX7--"ALF"

No concert or awards shows. Just KB/synth sightings on a TV show or movie. 80s contingent rise up. :laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

E-mu sampler--Ferris Buellers Day Off" (Believe it was the orginal Emax).

:

It was an Emulator II. I'm sure of it.

Synclavier--"Cosby Show"

The one with Stevie Wonder? Wasn't that a K250. I could be wrong.

Yamaha DX7--"ALF"

HA - I remember that one - the scene in the garage. I think he also had an Oberheim (OB8, or OBxa).

If you have seen the recent Alvin and the Chipmunks movie, there is a painfull scene where Dave throws a D50 out his front door in anger, then leaves it in the rain. Ugh.

It was an Emulator II. I'm sure of it.

The one with Stevie Wonder? Wasn't that a K250. I could be wrong.

Nah, I believe you are correct on both accounts. Thanks for refreshing my 80s memory. :laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I just caught Sneakers with Robert Redford the other night. There is a scene with a blind character who uses a Roland JX3P, connected to a Prophet 2002. He is using it to play sound effects of car tires on various types of roads.

I thought for a brief moment that this thread would be about the process of spotting keyboard-based cues within a film or TV production.

Best,

Geoff

Baby steps Geoff. :laugh:

Let's find the KBs that showed up first. Then, we can start a thread about the process of spotting KB-based cues. :D:cool:

PD

I thought for a brief moment that this thread would be about the process of spotting keyboard-based cues within a film or TV production.

Best,

Geoff

Baby steps Geoff. :laugh:

Let's find the KBs that showed up first. Then, we can start a thread about the process of spotting KB-based cues. :D:cool:

:D

And of course, by "spotting" I meant spotting. ;)

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Best,

Geoff

With your background, I knew that was the direction. :)

OT, there was an episode of "Fame" where Bruno was working on a tune and surrounded by a few KBs. :cool:

PD

Best,

Geoff

With your background, I knew that was the direction. :)

"Direction." Good one! :D

OT, there was an episode of "Fame" where Bruno was working on a tune and surrounded by a few KBs. :cool:

There you go! :thu:

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

I think this counts even though it's in an animated movie:

In Monsters vs. Aliens, when the aliens first land on earth, the U.S. President (voiced by Stephen Colbert) has a "Close Encounters moment" where he sets up and plays a keyboard to communicate with the aliens (starting with a butchered version of the Close Encounters theme before jumping into "Axel F").

The animated keyboard is a Yamaha DX-7.

Noah

I don't know which show it was, but I vaguely recall a scene from some show in the late 80s where a music producer screamed, "Damn it, I said I wanted an M1!" I had just gotten one at the time, so I identified with him.

That was Wiseguy. Vinnie Terranova goes undercover to expose the "criminal" corruption in the music industry.

Really brings to life the old saying, "I'll play for food."

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

love the scene in Forgetting Sarah Marshall when Jason Segel plays the Dracula song in the bar on a Motif XS8

He also plays a Yamaha S-90 in the studio when scoring the TV show. Hilarious movie. The guy who plays the new boyfriend is very funny.

Of course "Blues Brothers" is full of Rhodes and B3 action.

And it turned out there wasn't anything wrong with the action on that Rhodes after all. ;)

I beg to differ. Why else would he throw in the black keys for FREE! I always loved when they play the country/western bar, there is a house B3 on stage. Nice touch - it would have been a neat trick to cart that around in the blues mobile!

The guy who plays the new boyfriend is very funny.

That's British comedian Russell Brand, author of best-seller "My Booky Wook."

I heard him interviewed on Stern a few months ago, and he was riotously funny there as well. Definitely a comic talent!

Noah

And of course the ARP 2500 in "Close Encounters of the Third Kind", played by Phil Dodds (ARP Tech who delivered the unit).

I thought I remembered hearing orchestra instead of synth on the soundtrack when he played the 2600, although I haven't seen it since it came out.

I loved that red Fender Rhodes Jamie Foxx played in "Ray."

Wasn't that a Wurlitzer?

(And don't get me started on Jamie's piano playing in that movie...)

Wager?

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

• 4 weeks later...

Archived