Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

KB/Synth Gear Spotting in TV/Film

ProfD

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In Escape from Alcatraz there is a Hammond B-3 in Chapel near where Clint Eastwood is talking. There is an RT-3 in an episode of the Sopranos where Tony goes and visits a hit-man in Rhode Island. There is an M-3 in an episode of Everyone Loves Raymond in a wedding scene.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

The new show on SyFy, Warehouse 13, the character Artie has what looks like a Casio Privia in an "L" to his desk. In the pilot episode, Saul Rubinek, who plays Artie, played the Casio.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

In "That Thing You Do!" Guy's family owned the appliance store. In the scene where they're all dancing around the store when the song gets played on the radio, you can see the Hammond name and logo on the wall (if you're standing at the front of the store, the wall to your right). However, I've not been able to spot the actual Hammond in any of the scenes in the store.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Wasn't that a Harpsichord that Lurch played?

Yep, although he may have also played a pipe organ at times?

Yeah, sure, it was the harpsichord most of times. For some reason, the few episodes with the pipe organ stuck in my memory.

Let me add that it is always a pleasure for me to watch the Addams and hear their original voices! As a kid, of course, I watched it doubled. (Although I must say that the Italian doubler for Lurch wasn't half bad! :D )

Also, I don't think they had the added audience's laughing in the European version.

I just saw the movie "The Hangover" tonight, and saw a Wurlitzer EP and I think a Rhodes Chroma in the wedding band at the end of the movie. Not 100% sure about the Chroma.....

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

The 70's show features a Hammond in Forman's living room (drawbar, and long manuals, can't tell which one). They never play it though, and mention it once (I watched like 5 full seasons).

Stage: MOX6, V-machine, and Roland AX7

Rolls PM351 for IEMs.

Home/recording: Roland FP4, a few guitars

I just watched the rolling stones "shine a light" dvd by Martin Scorsese. In one scene, the guys were 'warmup jamming' backstage and Chuck Leavell had a 2 tier setup, on top was a NORD ELECTRO 2, and the lower tier was a YAMAHA CP300. I believe the concerts were filmed in the fall of 2006, and the movie was released in spring 2008.

On stage, clearly Leavell's main axe was a YAMAHA CP300 and to his left a B3 cabinet with 'who knows' inside, I would assume its an orignal B3 im no expert, and he had a Rhodes on top of the cabinet. The rhodes had top notch effects over it, clearly heard during the song "some girls". Unfortunately Chuck didnt get much screen time AT ALL, believe me I was looking... zero points scorsese

http://tiefkultur.de/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/shine-a-light.jpg

I will try and get a screenshot of Chuck with the nord. Just for some nord electro love, if nothing else

-Greg

Motif XS8, MOXF8, Hammond XK1c, Vent

Rhodes Mark II 88 suitcase, Yamaha P255

As promised, here is pics of the electro 2 being used by some big timers like the rolling stones. Actually looks like a yamaha P250 on bottom.

http://www.gallantbrothers.com/images/VTS_05_10030434.jpg

http://www.gallantbrothers.com/images/VTS_05_10024538.jpg

http://www.gallantbrothers.com/images/VTS_05_10023478.jpg

-Greg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_FMBJEkaC8Lw/R8RxU4EgU4I/AAAAAAAAPt0/egz66I65EnA/s1600/Abracadabra-65a.jpg

I saw this movie last week. Anyone know what boards and the contents of the rack? Comments from the blog I took this pic from never gave a definitive answer.

I just saw the movie "The Hangover" tonight, and saw a Wurlitzer EP and I think a Rhodes Chroma in the wedding band at the end of the movie. Not 100% sure about the Chroma.....

That wedding band is "The Dan Band," a real-life band that also made a hilarious appearance at the beginning of the movie Old School. They make their living playing cover versions of songs made famous by women (with the joke obviously being that their lead singer is a guy -- named Dan). I've heard from friends that their live shows are unbelievable. Check 'em out: www.thedanband.com.

Noah

P.S. The Hangover is a funny friggin' movie.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_FMBJEkaC8Lw/R8RxU4EgU4I/AAAAAAAAPt0/egz66I65EnA/s1600/Abracadabra-65a.jpg

I saw this movie last week. Anyone know what boards and the contents of the rack? Comments from the blog I took this pic from never gave a definitive answer.

Which movie? which pic?

-Greg

Looks like an older Korg SG on the bottom, and some type of Akai MPC on the stand. In the rack, it looks like and E-MU Orbit, a Roland JV1080, A Yamaha SPX90 and a Waldorf Micro-Wave. The rest I can't tell.

Which movie? which pic?
thats weird... this pic didnt show up in firfox... but now that im at work i use IE and it shows up fine

sorry for the confusion

-Greg

There's a Hammond M-2 front and center during in an establishing shot in "The Last Picture Show". I had to look up the movie to see that it takes place in 1952-53, providing proof as the 3 series didn't exist until 1955. Could have been just a coincidence though.

Did anyone see "America's got talent" last night (Jul 21)? There was a guy playing a keyboard and singing that was pretty good but the grand piano sound from the keyboard was awesome. I didn't see a manufacture's logo on the back. Does anyone know what he was playing?

Kurzweil Forte 7, Mojo 61, Yamaha P-125,

Kronos X61, Nautilus 73

Benmont Tench from Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers setup. I've been completely rediscovering their music recently and really digging Benmonts playing. The pic below is from "Running down a dream" DVD

Anyways, his rig is old school really...

His Left - B3 with wurlitzer-214 on top

His right - DX7 cleary with E-matter card

His front - Yamaha grand with ???? on top. Anyone recognize that board?

His Amp - I see a mic'd leslie cabinet.

Anyone know what those switches are by the wurli? And what those green pedals are?

http://www.gallantbrothers.com/images/benmont2.jpg

-Greg

I bet they made those pedals green so he can see 'em on a dark stage.

I noticed that he seems to use those Line 6 Stompbox Modelers (top right on the B3 and Wurly) that I've also seen Danny Lewis of Gov't Mule use.

Though this is a bit OT, isn't it? I didn't think seeing what gear someone uses in a music DVD counts. :)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Though this is a bit OT, isn't it? I didn't think seeing what gear someone uses in a music DVD counts. :)
yeah... maybe i should start a spinoff thread for this.

-Greg

His front - Yamaha grand with ???? on top. Anyone recognize that board?

Anyone know what those switches are by the wurli? And what those green pedals are?

Roland RS-5 on top of the grand and the pedals on top of the B3 and wurly are Line 6 pedals and maybe a sansamp.

Just to the right of the RS-5 looks like a Staples "Easy" Button.

I noticed that he seems to use those Line 6 Stompbox Modelers (top right on the B3 and Wurly) that I've also seen Danny Lewis of Gov't Mule use.

Roland RS-5 on top of the grand and the pedals on top of the B3 and wurly are Line 6 pedals and maybe a sansamp.

Just to the right of the RS-5 looks like a Staples "Easy" Button.

Excellent! thanks fellas

-Greg

Archived