Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Where's the best place to live in Florida?

Jazz+

According to Zillow.com...

Median Price in DC: $386,635

Median Price in SF: $859,000

Median Price in Austin: $295,000

I admit to some bias. Having lived in FL before, there's no way I'd relocate back there.

but we're talking about Florida, and the price of the homes in Florida... well, I looked at an unlived in brand new 3 bedroom 2 bath 2 car garage home in Rotunda Lakes with 8 foot doors (!), paver brick driveway, spiral columns in the entranceway, and just a beautiful layout with one of those bathrooms you see on the DIY Network, $140,000. The one we've put a bid on is on a lake in a bird sanctuary, sold recently for $350,000; our bid is less than half that, and we overbid the last guys by more than $20,000. We've looked at 3/2/2 homes with pools and pool cages for less than $150,000.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I admit to some bias. Having lived in FL before, there's no way I'd relocate back there.

but we're talking about Florida, and the price of the homes in Florida... well, I looked at an unlived in brand new 3 bedroom 2 bath 2 car garage home in Rotunda Lakes with 8 foot doors (!), paver brick driveway, spiral columns in the entranceway, and just a beautiful layout with one of those bathrooms you see on the DIY Network, $140,000. The one we've put a bid on is on a lake in a bird sanctuary, sold recently for $350,000; our bid is less than half that, and we overbid the last guys by more than $20,000. We've looked at 3/2/2 homes with pools and pool cages for less than $150,000.

Bill

I do understand where you're coming from, but I stand by my advice to Jazz+, who wishes to leave the San Francisco area, to consider options other than Florida. To me, it would be worth the $100,000 difference to invest in a home in Austin over anywhere in FL - it's not worth living with that level of humidity, mosquitoes and other biting insects, sinkholes randomly opening up to damage homes (much of Florida is a giant bubble with a crust of earth covering it up), swamp gas, etc. for at least 5 years.

That's just me though. Quality of life <-> Money... what's your ideal balance, Jazz+?

Why do you think Spain gave it to us? ;)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I am thinking of moving to Florida. What's the best location, Fort Lauderdale?

Best location in Florida to live? Somewhere outside of Florida.

It's a scammer's paradise, filled to the brim with corrupt judges and cops and bizarre anti-small-business laws. Identity theft happens daily, and even the FBI refuses to do anything about it when the evidence is piled to the ceiling in their office. Local cops not only ignore the scammers, but often aid and abet them.

Child support laws are bizarre and incomprehensible - a guy who marries a woman with kids from a previous relationship and divorces her later is likely to be put on the hook for support even though they're not even his kids! Guys are arrested on schedule for "child support violations" because the court set the arrest date a few days ahead of the actual payment due date, and won't fix the error, but then instruct the man not to send his payment early, so he does the merry go round of being arrested every month, bailing himself out, paying his support on time, lather, rinse, repeat....

No sir. I can't recommend anyone moving to Flordia for any reason, unless they intend to set up a fleece operation.

Compared to DC and SF they are. :D

Zillo's prices are completely out of whack with reality, every time I've compared them on properties where I know the true market value. They have been overestimating for years.

North Dallas has reasonable home prices and a relatively large economic base. with the Telecom corridor and UT Dallas campus in Richardson/Plano.

Hey J+ congrats on your new family.

As you might expect, proximity to ocean/gulf is a major factor in determining real estate values. Be aware that home insurance costs can be much higher than else where because of hurricanes, even with a very high deductible. Still you're coming from a state with high sales and income taxes to a state with no income tax. I generally go to FL during the season so the weather is nice. I have been there in the summer months and it has been very hot and humid. Like anything else, I suppose you get used to it.

Busch.

Quote by Governorsilver:

"it's not worth living with that level of humidity, mosquitoes and other biting insects, sinkholes randomly opening up to damage homes (much of Florida is a giant bubble with a crust of earth covering it up), swamp gas, etc. for at least 5 years."

Not to mention the CRAWLING insects, or the reptiles that might be tempted to EAT you, if they are big enough and ballsy enough, while you're jogging by.

I think the Carolinas are MUCH nicer. Not as hot and humid, enough of a winter to kill of a lot of the undesirable crawling critters, more laid back. Job market is better than in a lot of other areas, but the area does have GAS! Yep, nice folk for Tom and Blueskeys!

Rethink your moving options.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

It's a scammer's paradise, filled to the brim with corrupt judges and cops and bizarre anti-small-business laws. Identity theft happens daily, and even the FBI refuses to do anything about it when the evidence is piled to the ceiling in their office. Local cops not only ignore the scammers, but often aid and abet them.

Child support laws are bizarre and incomprehensible - a guy who marries a woman with kids from a previous relationship and divorces her later is likely to be put on the hook for support even though they're not even his kids! Guys are arrested on schedule for "child support violations" because the court set the arrest date a few days ahead of the actual payment due date, and won't fix the error, but then instruct the man not to send his payment early, so he does the merry go round of being arrested every month, bailing himself out, paying his support on time, lather, rinse, repeat....

No sir. I can't recommend anyone moving to Flordia for any reason, unless they intend to set up a fleece operation.

And you know this how?

It's also a state where a road contractor that is widening one of the deadliest roads in the nation, I-95 through Brevard county, has a machine malfunction so it puts the rebar in the concrete road at the wrong depth, so he takes it on himself to correct the bad sections. Not only does he fix these sections, but he does it at a cost of $1.6 Million, and eats the cost of repair. Not only that, but he has allowed the road to stay open to traffic, causing a minimum of traffic delays. Plus, he's ahead of schedule, even after the repairs, by several months.

Yeah, everyone's a scammer

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

And you know this how?

He read a Carl Hiassen book.

And you know this how?

My wife lived there for 8 years, and has many friends that still live there. One is currently being plagued by the identity theft I described, and has substantial evidence that a local police officer not only is assisting the person who stole his identity, but is also reaping financial rewards for it, yet the FBI refuses to act on his evidence, and the SSA refuses to issue him a new SSN, saying it's "his responsibility who does what with his SSN"

Every single one of the things I described have happened to people she knew down there. They have the most screwed up laws I've ever seen.

What you're describing is probably happening in every state if you look hard enough. Don't assume that the state is "Filled to the brim" with corruption because a few people are having a problem. It's a total disservice, and you're better than that.

Willie Dixon

Compared to DC and SF they are. :D

Zillo's prices are completely out of whack with reality, every time I've compared them on properties where I know the true market value. They have been overestimating for years.

North Dallas has reasonable home prices and a relatively large economic base. with the Telecom corridor and UT Dallas campus in Richardson/Plano.

Still, Zillow gives you an idea of the relative housing costs from region to region. The point is that while housing Austin and Dallas may not be as cheap as in Florida, it's still cheaper than San Francisco. MUCH cheaper.

If you just want a cheap house and don't care much about quality of life, why not look at the likes of Minnesota, Michigan, Indiana, etc. then?

One of the primary reasons that there are a lot of New York transplants in Florida is they sold the homes that they'd lived in for decades, took the money, and bought a newer, bigger home in Florida, and still had money left over.

Willie Dixon

One of the primary reasons that there are a lot of New York transplants in Florida is they sold the homes that they'd lived in for decades, took the money, and bought a newer, bigger home in Florida, and still had money left over.

No state income tax is a factor too, no doubt.

Quote by Governorsilver:

"it's not worth living with that level of humidity, mosquitoes and other biting insects, sinkholes randomly opening up to damage homes (much of Florida is a giant bubble with a crust of earth covering it up), swamp gas, etc. for at least 5 years."

Not to mention the CRAWLING insects, or the reptiles that might be tempted to EAT you, if they are big enough and ballsy enough, while you're jogging by.

I think the Carolinas are MUCH nicer. Not as hot and humid, enough of a winter to kill of a lot of the undesirable crawling critters, more laid back. Job market is better than in a lot of other areas, but the area does have GAS! Yep, nice folk for Tom and Blueskeys!

Rethink your moving options.

Mike T.

Hahaha, forgot to mention the gators.

In case anyone was wondering what brought me to FL, it was the height of the .com/IT bubble, when companies were hiring people left and right over the phone. I grew up in So. Cal and never lived anywhere outside of it as an adult. When a consulting company was offering great pay and moving assistance to get me out to FL, I took up the opportunity just to see the other side.

I like what I've seen of the Carolinas, especially around the Research Triangle area: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Triangle_(North_Carolina). I have relatives in the Fayetteville area - they also like the affordable housing/cost of living. they drive up to the Raleigh area if they want to see live jazz. Given Jazz+'s handle, I'm guessing accessibility to jazz venues might be a priority. The Tampa, FL jazz scene I had to go out of my way to see good live jazz - either drive to St. Pete or go to Marcus Hampton (Slide's brother), who would host shows at his house. Orlando looked more promising, and not only because Sam Rivers and Cecil Taylor live there. In fairness, Clearwater and University of South Florida (in Tampa) had their annual jazz festivals. In So. FL, one pretty much had to drive down to Ft. Lauderdale or further south for good live jazz - West Palm Beach was a dead area.

What you're describing is probably happening in every state if you look hard enough. Don't assume that the state is "Filled to the brim" with corruption because a few people are having a problem. It's a total disservice, and you're better than that.

Florida IS full of corruption. To deny that is simply inaccurate. So is Ohio, it's extremely corrupt. That doesn't mean it is a bad or good place, it's just accuracy. Cleveland/Cuyahoga County/Ohio have corruption that borders on madness. I think it would be accurate to say that most public officials here are corrupt.

Ultimately, it has little to do with my life, nor would I be afraid to move to a state like Florida because there is a lot of corruption. But lets face the facts, it is. Most states are.

I like what I've seen of the Carolinas, especially around the Research Triangle area: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Triangle_(North_Carolina)

After I left Florida, I moved to Raleigh. Indeed it was a very nice place. It's growing at an alarming rate, when I lived there in the 80s it had an "Aunt Bea/Goober" feel to it. Nice weather, except for the hurricanes coming inland.

Cygnus64:

I spent some time in Raleigh back in the 80's when I was on the road playing music. I was there long enough to know I could really get into living there. It might be nice to live closer to the ocean though, N & S Carolina beaches are awesome. The people are great too. What the hell am I doin' here? :bor:

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Whare do you come up with this stuff? Most of the long time residents of Florida here would strongly disagree with your assessment. You do no service to those seeking legitimate advice to propegate this BS

Steve

A Lifetime of Peace, Love and Protest Music

www.rock-xtreme.com

Jazz+, congrats on the addition to the your family. :thu:

J+ asked for the best place to live in Florida. I'm sure he looked at the map first. :)

Just like with KBs, folks come in looking for a Casio and get upsold to a Kurzweil. :laugh:

Floridians please continue to help out a fellow forumite. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Whare do you come up with this stuff? Most of the long time residents of Florida here would strongly disagree with your assessment. You do no service to those seeking legitimate advice to propegate this BS

If you read above, I cited my sources. Everything in this quote happened in Florida to someone my wife and I know.

I lived in Jacksonville for two years. Don't. :evil:

Well, but Jacksonville is like, the Cleveland of Florida :)

J-ville is south Georgia.

Jacksonville is one of the few places in FL that doesn't get hammered in hurricane season. But it's culturally barren here. Any player, ESPECIALLY JAZZ, will be frustrated.

Having said that, my brother lived in Miami for 30 years and in a 10 year period had 3 cars stolen. He carried a gun and almost needed it once when some thugs headed towards his car when it broke down off the freeway. Fortunately, the cops pulled around the corner in 30 seconds after he called 911.

I would NEVER live in Miami for any reason.

And you better love roaches because they are EVERYWHERE.

A Jazz/Chord Melody Master-my former instructor www.robertconti.com

(FKA GuitarPlayerSoCal)

And one thing...

If you identify with a red state mentality, the panhandle and north of Orlando will suit you.

Otherwise, Orlando and south tends to be closer to the blue state mentality. (But the whole state is pretty redneck)

A Jazz/Chord Melody Master-my former instructor www.robertconti.com

(FKA GuitarPlayerSoCal)

Archived