Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Where's the best place to live in Florida?

Jazz+

I am thinking of moving to Florida. What's the best location, Fort Lauderdale?

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Best for what? Best alligators? Best Swamp? Best Mosquitos? Best humidity? Best Mouse-themed Entertainment? Best mountain climbing? Best skiing? Best catfish? Best thongs? Best spacelaunch viewing? Best chance to appear on Cops?

LOL xmlguy :D

A friend and his wife just moved to Tampa, I think, and on a recent visit back here they were complaining that they couldn't find a nice restaurant in Tampa, they all have TVs wherever you look. :rolleyes:

They actually said the "real" Orlando isn't bad, just stay away from where all the resorts and theme parks are.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I like the Space Coast, but that's just me. Not very far from Orlando, less than 2 hours from Daytona, less than 3 hours from Miami or Jacksonville, can see the shuttle launch from my yard.

And all the added drama and excitement of Hurricane tracking.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Orlando is fine if you like road construction and traffic jams. Inland, I would probably choose Lakeland. Beach area I would go for Clearwater or Vero. You may notice all these are smaller areas without being too small. While in Florida you hear a lot about the crime in Tampa. Don't think I would choose to live there.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I am thinking of moving to Florida. What's the best location, Fort Lauderdale?

think about cruising around Florida in the summer , then decide

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

This map shows all category 1 to 5 hurricanes whose centers have passed within 10 nautical miles of Florida's boundary during the period 1851 to 2005.

http://www.csc.noaa.gov/hez_tool/images/maps/florida.gif

There's probably a clear spot for you somewhere. ;)

(By the way, I'm aware of the irony of living in Houston and making fun of Florida's hurricanes, so don't bother pointing that out.)

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

LOL xmlguy :D

A friend and his wife just moved to Tampa, I think, and on a recent visit back here they were complaining that they couldn't find a nice restaurant in Tampa, they all have TVs wherever you look. :rolleyes:

They actually said the "real" Orlando isn't bad, just stay away from where all the resorts and theme parks are.

I love Florida. Only in April and October. I like fake Florida, and the capital of fake Florida is Celebration, the city that proves EPCOT was a bad idea. It's kinda like how the dream of Autopia, these wonderful uncongested freeways that promise high speed travel throughout our major cities, only works when the cars are on tracks, have 1 horsepower motors, have huge shock absorbing bumpers on front and back, a track that travels one way in a loop, and employees that can kick you out when you misbehave.

It might not be for everyone but I love Miami. Been living here now for 14 years. Beautiful weather, beautiful women (I have whiplash to prove it), beautiful beaches, great food, drug busts all the time. Bodies being smuggled in daily. Sort of like Miami Vice. Thriving art community. Music scene is somewhat lacking but getting better. Seen some great concerts. Hey Corea and McLaughlin are coming here next week. Fort Lauderdale is only 20 minutes from here. And the Keys is a beautiful drive away. From October to March while the rest of country is digging themselves out or freezing half to death, I'm having breakfast at my favorite outdoor cafe on South Beach in my shorts and flip flops. And I did meet two amazing musicians down here and we formed a TW Lifetime type jazz trio, and believe it or not all through Craigs List. Look there really isn't a perfect city...but Miami is like living in a true international city. And I don't work for the Chamber of Commerce.

http://bigfun3.bandcamp.com

www.facebook.com/BigFunThree

Cocoa Beach

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3115/2741082251_bf22a0cf17_o.jpg

This picture was taken across the street from where my avatar picture was taken.

Willie Dixon

Florida is tremendously diverse. There are like, 20 Floridas :)

Here are two that I know a little bit about:

I lived in Orlando for years. In 2006 I got a full time church gig in Vero Beach, and now that that has run its course (as they will) we're moving back to Orlando. Vero is a small town with a nice beach. Everything is ten minutes from everything else. It's basically very easy to live there, but there's no work and not much to do. In a way, that's OK, though. People tend to have a lot of house parties and cook-outs. You can quickly form close friendships.

Orlando is a great place for a working musician, and there's a lot of energy there. It is harder to get around, but there are all kinds of opportunities in all kinds of areas.

I love 'em both in different ways.

If money were no object, I would live on Sanibel Island -- off the coast of Ft. Myers. Not much in the way of work on the island unless you're catering to tourists, so I'd save it for retirement probably. Love that island.

I hate winter with a passion and can not wait to retire and move south. Not sure yet where I'll end up.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

To you guys who know FL-

I know it's beautiful down there in the winter. But is there any part of the Florida mainland that's kind of like the SoCal coast weather-wise in the summer? What I mean is, with enough marine air blowing onshore to get away from the stifling temperatures and humidity?

If money were no object, I would live on Sanibel Island -- off the coast of Ft. Myers. Not much in the way of work on the island unless you're catering to tourists, so I'd save it for retirement probably. Love that island.

I hate winter with a passion and can not wait to retire and move south. Not sure yet where I'll end up.

My Mother-in-law's late husband. R. Tucker Abbott, co-founded a seashell museum on Sanibel. I'll have to go there and check it out someday.

Willie Dixon

To you guys who know FL-

I know it's beautiful down there in the winter. But is there any part of the Florida mainland that's kind of like the SoCal coast weather-wise in the summer? What I mean is, with enough marine air blowing onshore to get away from the stifling temperatures and humidity?

I grew up in San Diego, CA and lived in Tampa, FL for 3 years.

IMO, there's nothing in FL like So Cal matching your description - especially Encinitas, Solana Beach, even Pacific/Mission Beach...

To you guys who know FL-

You mean you don't want 98 degree heat with 100% humidity?

We get the sea breezes all the time, and while they can help to cool things down a bit, the breezes from the West coast will hit the breezes from the East coast, causing some really severe thunderstorms. Central Florida has among the highest amount of lightning anywhere.

Willie Dixon

Do you guys from Florida laugh at people in other parts of the country when they complain about humidity like we do here in Houston? Ain't no sweat like the Gulf Coast, IMO.

My Mother-in-law's late husband. R. Tucker Abbott, co-founded a seashell museum on Sanibel. I'll have to go there and check it out someday.

Cool. It's the Bailey-Matthews Seashell Museum. We didn't go there, but we've heard lots about it from others who have -- my sister and her family visited it when they vacationed with us last summer there. My kids and I wanted to be outside the whole time and finding our own seashells, so we just did that. Sanibel Island is the best place in the WORLD to find seashells. It's pretty cool. Here's a link to some photos I have up from our 2008 summer trip there - http://www.tripadvisor.com/members-photos/TravelingSteveFamily

Among the photos is our dining room table full of shells we found there -- this was before I cleaned them up, so there's some seaweed on many of them. They now fill two big glass vases -- just 5 days there, and we could have brought back even more -- whole pristine shells are everywhere there. Great for kids and adults alike.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

Making a move to Florida can work OK or not so good, depending on where you are use to living now. I spent some vacation time in Florida, and have done trade shows there. The trade shows were typically done in the Winter, January-February. When we did the PGA show in Orlando last year we rented a house for a week in a development south of the tourist trap area of Orlando. Every house in the development had a pool behind the house, and every one of them was enclosed in a screen covered shelter. Guess why? To keep the damp BUGS out. Florida is a breeding ground for bugs, and all other kinds of undesirable critters. Most of them crawl, but a lot of them FLY.

Florida is about as flat as a pancake. Too hot and HUMID for me.

Coming from the Northeast, I'd say they can have it. Central and Northern California are a lot more agreeable than Florida. A much dryer climate, so hardly any bugs. Norhtern California was beautiful the last time I was there. Now if average people could only afford to live there......it would be ideal.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Do you guys from Florida laugh at people in other parts of the country when they complain about humidity like we do here in Houston? Ain't no sweat like the Gulf Coast, IMO.

Yeah, our response is "I feel for ya, dude". There are days where if you put your wet clothes on a line outside, they might not dry. And your windows will sweat.

This summer might be a little better for my wife and I. We moved to a different house that has a lot of trees blocking the direct sunlight from the roof, and has a more efficient AC system. Plus, having a really good fan for outdoor gigs helps.

The heat and humidity has made it where shorts and flip-flops are acceptable attire almost anywhere, even church.

Willie Dixon

I never lived there but gigged there extensively and spent a lot of time there 15 years ago.

I found inland Orlando area humid, and recently went back for a conference. I was shocked how congested, torn up, and theme parky the entire area around Orlando was now.

Gulf coast is where it's at for me.

Moe

---

I never lived there but gigged there extensively and spent a lot of time there 15 years ago.

I found inland Orlando area humid, and recently went back for a conference. I was shocked how congested, torn up, and theme parky the entire area around Orlando was now.

Gulf coast is where it's at for me.

The road construction there is a theme park in itself...

To you guys who know FL-

I grew up in San Diego, CA and lived in Tampa, FL for 3 years.

IMO, there's nothing in FL like So Cal matching your description - especially Encinitas, Solana Beach, even Pacific/Mission Beach...

U got that right...taint nothin like SoCal....Florida's different, but very cool....

I gigged for a year on Panama City Beach.... That was the first time in my life I'd seen 98 degrees and dense fog at the same time. I wouldn't recommend moving to that area, but a lot of those folks raved about St. Pete. Anybody here know what that scene is like these days?

I gigged for a year on Panama City Beach.... That was the first time in my life I'd seen 98 degrees and dense fog at the same time. I wouldn't recommend moving to that area, but a lot of those folks raved about St. Pete. Anybody here know what that scene is like these days?

Culturally, St. Pete is just a fantastic place. Very colorful and arty. Dali Museum and so forth. There's a bit of a jazz scene, but I wouldn't like to try making a living there as a musician. That being said, I have two church bookings there in June, so maybe I'll report back :)

I'm buying a house right now in Venice. I'd like to live on the island, but I've found a lovely place on a lake in a bird sanctuary, only about 5 miles from Venice Beach. We've been going down there regularly for some time now, and I love sunset at the South Jetty, with the Dolphins and Manatees and various birds..... it's Heaven to me.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v603/BillPark/jetty4jan09.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v603/BillPark/PICT0496e1-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v603/BillPark/PICT0487.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v603/BillPark/PICT0513e1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v603/BillPark/PICT0529e1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v603/BillPark/PICT0533e1.jpg

Here's the Rock'N'Roll Girlfriend and I at Boca Grande

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v603/BillPark/PICT0135.jpg

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

To you guys who know FL-

The short answer is no. I think the south east coast is possibly a little cooler in the summer, but only a little. Central FL is hot, hot, hot in the summer, and south FL has summer night low temps. of about 80.

Don't get me wrong. I love FL. I lived in Miami for 15 years, and I'd go back if the situation were right.

David

Archived