Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Piano players what do you look for in a digital piano action

Gary75

After spending a lot of years playing the organ mainly, Im keen to spend more time on the piano. I have very little knowledge of acoustic pianos and their actions, and what to look for as a good action. I will not be able to fit an acoustic in my house so a digital is the only way, either in a controller or in a digital piano.

I have been using my Casio PX-310 for a year or so now, but apart from the fact it's plastic housing has already come to grief when I punctured it underneath, I find the action too bouncy on it's return and feel it is time to move on. Now I am not sure how much bounce one would expect from a good quality acoustic piano, but trying to do repetitive strikes is not working due to the bounce back.

I am after people who have both acoustics and digitals and what they use. Are their any acoustic piano players here who have used or own a Privia model. It's the bounce which is effecting my playing the most. But being an organ person I have never spent a great deal of money on a quality digital piano with a matching key action.

Have digital piano actions improved over time or can you get a one 10 years old with as good an action as any of the modern counterparts?

I know this is a well worn thread on the best 88 note weighted actions, but trying to search the forum is tricky at the best of times.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a Yamaha G-2 grand, but I use a Kurzweil K2600X or a Nord Stage 88 for piano in a live setting. Neither of these keybeds adequately approximates a grand piano action, IMHO. In terms of action on a DP, the best I have encountered is the Roland RD-700GX. Try to give one a whirl.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

I am loving the 700GX action.

In light of that, I would say that yes, digital piano actions have improved a lot over the past 10 years. It will be interesting to see what comes next to improve upon what the GX (and several other Roland models) has.

I have to be honest, the only real acoustics I've ever played other people have owned, such as when I took piano lessons. But I can just tell that the GX action is incredibly realistic.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Is the keybed on the 700GX used in any other Rolands does anyone know?

Yes, unless you are a regular owner/user of an acoustic it is difficult to know what a good action SHOULD be like. I bow down to the more technical playing abilities of piano players on here who would have auditioned digital pianos, played something and thought 'woah you can't do this technique very well on this action' I guess the better a pianist you are the more nuances you feel under an action and can root out the ones that don't feel right compared to the average Joe. But it's people like that who have'nt a clue on actions and as their technique improves they realise that the action just does'nt cut it.

Yes, unless you are a regular owner/user of an acoustic it is difficult to know what a good action SHOULD be like. I bow down to the more technical playing abilities of piano players on here who would have auditioned digital pianos, played something and thought 'woah you can't do this technique very well on this action' I guess the better a pianist you are the more nuances you feel under an action and can root out the ones that don't feel right compared to the average Joe. But it's people like that who have'nt a clue on actions and as their technique improves they realise that the action just does'nt cut it.

huh?

Anyway, to answer your question - the new Roland action is only available on the 700GX, and compared to it, their 300GX feels like a toy.

Here for the gear.

To be clear, that PHA II/Ivory Feel with escapement is available on several Roland models, but all the other ones are part of their home digital piano line ups. None of their other stage pianos, workstations, nor synths have it currently. The Fantom G8 has PHA II/Ivory Feel but instead of Escapement it has aftertouch, so it feels *very* different (IMNSHO) than the 700GX.

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

huh?

Anyway, to answer your question - the new Roland action is only available on the 700GX, and compared to it, their 300GX feels like a toy.

drawback, what part did'nt you understand?

I look for wood
So many possibilities to respond with... ;)

I'm a big fan of the Roland FP-3. I'm pretty sure that action translated elsewhere. It felt somehow lighter than the RD line, yet you could dig in and it would really cooperate. It wasn't bad through its internal speakers and amped further, it had real authority.

The bottom liner is always this: do you want that smoother action that sort of glides or do you prefer a more assertive one that allows you to pound a bit? If that is satisfied and the keys bounce back readily, you're there. You can't really go wrong with most digipianos now; you can simply shift a model or two to the left and be pleased.

So far as the detail of the sounds, I'm a caveman. If it doesn't sound like a baby Casio, I can handle it. I'd prefer Ivory, but I'll gladly settle for anything short of a piano so far gone, I could not bury a dead cat in it.

I COMPLAINED BECAUSE I HAD NO FAIRLIGHT, UNTIL I MET A MAN WHO HAD NO THEREMIN.

I would take a Yamaha over a Roland any day of the week. Yamaha knows a little bit about because they make acoustic pianos anyway.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

I can work just about anything.

All I want is for the action to get out of my way and become invisible. I don't want to have to think about it.

Yet, on the other hand, there was a time when I was playing piano parts on a K2000. :sick:

Why?

Well, I was waiting for the PC-88 to be redesigned and introduced as the PC2X.

The point is that if you have played piano parts on an unweighted keyboard, moving to pretty much any of the current models of weighted boards will put a smile on your face.

And I really didn't hate the action of my Fender Rhodes. I figured that it was a package deal, take it or leave it.

When you're shopping for a keyboard with built-in sounds, that's pretty much the way you have to view it.

I guess a controller keyboard connected to a laptop is more flexible in that regard. Choose the controller for the best action (and flexibility) you can find. Then load your choice of great-sounding software into a laptop and you're good to go.

On the other hand, SK carries his keyboard in a brown paper bag. Pulls it out, plugs it up, and proceeds to bring down the house.

Everything's relative.

:snax:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

I play a lot on a pc1x, but I have gotten to like my yamaha cp33 a lot. I am considering going to a cp 300. So that's what I'm looking for. Kind of like choosing a bicycle saddle - it's pretty individual. Get what you like; what's comfortable.
"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

I played a PC2X at an open mic, and thought it felt pretty good, noticeably good. This was before I had the 700GX though, so I don't know if that would affect my feelings about it now.

While I liked the action on my old Roland A-80 as well as every Yamaha I've owned, there is no real comparison between an acoustic grand action and a digital keyboard. Playing jobs on a digital keyboard is not the same as actual practice on a ... real keyboard action. If you spend your life on a digital piano and then have to play four hours on a poorly regulated grand, you'll be tired and unable to play well long before the job is over.

Even the very best digital keyboard action is very light when compared to an acoustic grand action regardless what anyone here says to the contrary.

If money is not an issue (though space obviously is), buy a GranTouch. At the moment the GT is the only keyboard marketed with a real grand action coupled to a digital sample. (Bösendofer still has not made any further public announcements on their CEUS hybrid piano. Yamaha has bought Bösendorfer and I'm still waiting for an answer re their CEUS and availability.)

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

I want a new action

One that won't make me sick

One that won't make me crash my car

Or make me feel three feet thick

I want a new action

One that won't hurt my head

One that won't make my mouth too dry

Or make my eyes too red

One that won't make me nervous

Wondering what to do

One that makes me feel like I feel when I'm with you

When I'm alone with you

Moe

---

Thanks for the input, lots of answers, and obviously quite subjective. I am not into rock piano, it's for jazz piano and I won't be doing any pounding on it. I am finding that fast runs can trip the bounce back up on my PX310. I also realise that after years playing the organ, I do need to strengthen my fingers to co-operate with a weighted action, so I guess some of it is user related as much as finding a good keybed.

..... there is no real comparison between an acoustic grand action and a digital keyboard. Playing jobs on a digital keyboard is not the same as actual practice on a ... real keyboard action. If you spend your life on a digital piano and then have to play four hours on a poorly regulated grand, you'll be tired and unable to play well long before the job is over.

Even the very best digital keyboard action is very light when compared to an acoustic grand action regardless what anyone here says to the contrary.

If money is not an issue (though space obviously is), buy a GranTouch. At the moment the GT is the only keyboard marketed with a real grand action coupled to a digital sample.

This should be a sticky or permanently posted where everyone can see it.

The action is obviously a big part of it but still only part of it. When playing on an acoustic piano, the connection between action, sound, and overall musical experience is a "technology" that goes back roughly 180 years.

I'm sure someone can do a better job of verbalizing "Psycho-acoustic" principles than me.

That being said, I would second the GT2 has well. They are expensive ( you can buy a new Yamaha upright and probably a good late model used small Grand for the price of a new GT2) and might not be available, at least in the U.S., without that recorder/playback "Disklavier" feature which adds even more $$ to the purchase price. Has much has I love mine, it still isn't a piano.

BTW Dave, how was Paris in the Fall? There's part of a song there somewhere.

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

https://www.youtube.com/@daveferris2709

2005 NY Steinway D

Yamaha AvantGrand N3X, CP88, P515

Dave Ferris, thanks for the vote of confidence with my less than positive view on things.

Paris was actually quite busy what with all those f****** tourists.

Yamaha stopped selling the GranTouch in the US though it is still available in Europe.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

I think Cole Porter wrote that song long before the American Express Card came into vogue.

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

https://www.youtube.com/@daveferris2709

2005 NY Steinway D

Yamaha AvantGrand N3X, CP88, P515

I will not be able to fit an acoustic in my house so a digital is the only way, either in a controller or in a digital piano.

That being the case b3boy... yes, digital pianos have improved dramatically in the past 2-3 years. Better samples/better action, although still not like the real thing.

Look at the top of the line stage pianos from Roland, Yamaha and Kawai. Other brands may also satisfy your tastes. There are compromises in each - between action and sound. The slightly lower models, like the Roland FP4 which I use, may also fill the bill. Check out the feel, and the sound through headphones and the best speakers in the store.

Look for an action that gives some resistance, is easy and enjoyable to play, and doesn't hurt your hands after playing for a while. Some of the 'fancier' actions sometimes take a toll on your hands.

I think Cole Porter wrote that song long before the American Express Card came into vogue.

Was it something like

"I'd love Paris in the springtime

I'd love Paris in the fall

if it wasn't for all those f***ing tourists

which I don't love at all"

?

It's not a clone, it's a Suzuki.

Archived