Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The ONE Pedal you can't live without

RobRose

Ok... same scenario as before: Aliens land on you front lawn and need to take all your pedals for ...um...research and will be gracious and leave you ONE. Which is it...

This is a tough one for me. I have two:

1. Hermida Zendrive -- the nicest overdrive pedal I've ever played. Beautiful through the clean channel for that Dumble-y Robben Ford tone and great for the drive channel to smooth out the distortion with sustain and fullness.

Zendrive (halfway down the page)

2. Blackbox Oxygen Pedal (by Oolala) This is a "jack of many trades" pedal. For me it provides compression, clean boost, a noise gate and a little saturation dirt. Great to fill up single coil tones.

Oxygen Pedal

When the alien breaks out the "probe" equipment in a threatening manner to accelerate my decision process, I'd have to go with the Oxygen. I'm convinced I could gig with my Bogner Shiva and just that.

Nash-customized Gibson Les Paul, Godin Progression Plus

Quilter MicroPro Mach 2.0

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My Korg tuner pedal. It's a necessity.

My Marshall has an awesome lead channel, and I usually play a Les Paul. I get great tone almost by default.

So... I don't really need pedals--they're not necssities.

I just like them.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Sheesh, another one I can't really answer! I only have two pedals: a DOD TR3M (metal distortion, chorus, delay in one; currently collecting dust) and my Original Crybaby. So I'd have to keep my Crybaby.

Unless we are counting the pedal board that runs my rack unit, then I'm keeping that one.

Or I'd ask if I could go with them on the research expedition as long as there is no probing going on.

[Carvin] XB76WF - All Walnut 6-string fretless

[schecter] Stiletto Studio 5 Fretless | Stiletto Elite 5

[Ampeg] SVT3-Pro | SVT-410HLF

My Lexicon MRC2 is priceless, cause they don't make them anymore and I don't know of replacement for it. You can take a pair of expression pedals and map the output across any combination controllers with minimums and maximums and reverse values and also map it to logarithmic, step or linear tapper...

What happens when that get's Fubar? I'm F'ed!

If I'm going to cheat, my Alesis Quadraverb Plus. :D

It has everything I would ever use.

Otherwise...uh, I don't have any pedals except for a Boss DS-1 (don't need...I have an MP-1 preamp), a CryBaby Wah (could live without it), and a Boss Limiter (don't need).

I guess I'd like to have back (I foolishly sold when digital delays came out) my Boss DM-2 Analog Delay pedal. Great sound.

Just a bit of analog delay and I can be happy.

A Jazz/Chord Melody Master-my former instructor www.robertconti.com

(FKA GuitarPlayerSoCal)

Yeah...there are some decent ones that are useable from time to time, but I would have no problem going just guitar and amp.

I actually played without any pedals for many years, and it is mostly the studio that's caused my to slowly build up my pedal collection, though by most "pedal jockey" standards...I really don't have that many.

A delay, comp, wah, boost/OD, roto, spring reverb and a couple of volume pedals. The one I use most is the Sole-Mate spring reverb, because I now own three amps with no built-in reverb.

So I guess that's one I might want to keep above all others...though even that's not much of a necessity in the studio cuz I have good racked FX, or for most live gigs if the room is decent

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

I could, if absolutely necessary, live without all of them, but if I had to keep just one, it would be my original, Made in England Marshall Guv'nor, my BBE Soul Vibe, or my Danelectro Tuna Melt tremolo...flip a coin, I'd take any one of them.

Avoid playing the amplifier at a volume setting high enough to produce a distorted sound through the speaker-Fender Guitar Course-1966

The ONE Pedal you can't live without

I have four a Fender Tuner, a Digitech Digital Reverb, a Nady TD 1 tube distortion and a Seymour Duncan Twin Tube.

I can live without all of them except for the tuner, because my amp does as well all by itself, but only at band level volumes, so I use the pedals for daily rehearsal.

Gotta have some delay, not too particular about the brand, but would prefer one with a decent tap tempo that works with two taps instead of 3 or four...

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Given all things must go and I could crank out the sound I needed there would still be cause for a volume pedal 'cause for the life of me I can't roll them pots worth a damn as I play.

I know.. in previous conversations a volume pedal didn't rate as a pedal for the purposes of thread but still... I stand behind my choice. It's a Morley Pro Volume.

I still think guitars are like shoes, but louder.

The one I use the most is the tuner, LOL! I like the Fulltone Choralflange and use it a lot even on my acoustic gigs--I also like the Hermida Zendrive. I'm too much of a techno-idiot to take time to experiment w/ the other great pedals I have... should take a few hours one of these days for that sole purpose! I also like my amp's footswitch, LOL!

All in all, it seems pedals aren't indispensable to me. No surprise since I'm mainly an acoustic dude. However, I do like them.

"Without music, life would be a mistake."

--from 'Beyond Good and Evil', by Friedrich Nietzsche

My MySpace Space

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a141/quickie1/p1195mcid4da84077535053339.jpg
Man, I could use that one!!! HAHAHAHAAAAA!

"Without music, life would be a mistake."

--from 'Beyond Good and Evil', by Friedrich Nietzsche

My MySpace Space

I had mentioned it in previous posts ,my pedal I cant do without is the RP250 by digitech. I dont really take advantage of usb for editing or recording much ,but the HUGE range of EQ and amp settings and especially effects sold me instantly.

IMO excellent drum patches I use it through cabinets of several sizes even a PA amp with no eq. The RP250 seems to do it all. Love the control and operation ,few shortcomings(tuner a pain). I can always quickly dial in a tone that fits the style or mood and I believe nicely complements my Mexi-strat ,cheap Strat copy and an acustic electric. With a little practice I can nail most tones Im after. Maybe its more a beginners tool ,but thats me -beginner(kind of)

The wah and volume are and added plus -for what your paying 150 bucks for!

Theres a real amp in my future(probably tube) ,but with the rp250 its making do with several surplus extension cabinets .It can put a huge smile on my face anytime .

Although playing it sitting with unit elevated(pedal)strikes good balance of the hand tweaking needed ,and volume/wah operation. had about 3 months and like it more and more as I "master" it . Inexpensive gratification,practice tool ect.

Cant live without it! But only with mixer button IN to knock the "fizz" out of the tone esp on Rectifier modeling patch.I believe it attenuates highs ,The EQ in the pedal can bring it back up ,massive range !

"warm smell of colitas,rising up through the air"

I would have to say my Ibanez TS-9 tube screamer....I'm sure a lot of you have one...great boost, great tone, and great overdrive without all the metal crunchiness along with it...solid for a blues player or someone just trying to cleanup their sound for a solo....although this post says "cannot live without"...I guess I could live without it...but it sure is nice to have...hahaha

Well, I guess that would be my Electro Harmonix Big Muff. Not that I use it so much, it's just that on those nights that I really suck when I practice, (most nights), I'll use the Muff to do the intro to Shook Me All Night Long and everything is good!!!

Really like that sound!!!

Hope the aliens don't steal any good amps! :)

I'd say my Crybaby Wah. The reason is, you can get the nicest sound with just a good amp (ask Derek Trucks, BB King or SRV).

Then I'd just keep the wah to funk it up once in a while.

Cheers!

www.great-guitar-players.com - "Sometimes you want to give up the guitar, you'll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it, you're gonna be rewarded."

My Fulltone Fulldrive 2, set up properly it really sounds like my Deluxe Reverb cranked but at pretty much any volume. Deluxe Reverb cranked crunch is sweet but it's getting pretty dang loud.
www.myspace.com/darcyhoover

Archived