Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Reharm Room

Haha, take 2 polkas and call LB in the morning. Thanks. I'm sure he'd appreciate that too.

choke. sputter. How do I say this nicely :) ... you know how there are some tunes that you've just never really liked? Wave is one of them.

But I will say it's definitely a party around here! Thanks for bringing me back from the edge. I appreciate that. :D

"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! " - BOPBEEPER

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny! I had a gig in NJ last Thur. night and was talking to one of the guests about Polkas! I love Polkas . . .I haven't talked to anyone about Polkas in awhile! Ever been to an old fashion Polish wedding, they dance around the perimeter of the room!

Sue after 10AM is usually fine, I have to read the paper 1st and have coffee. :D!

take 2 polkas and call LB in the morning
I edited that line out of there but you caught it anyway. Drats!

:laugh: I try not to miss the good stuff.

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

Gangsu

I didn't experience it as sad exactly!

lb

I can't listen to this without feeling unbearably sad. What did you put in there, SK?? Between yourself and LB, I"m dying over here.

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

Hey Tony!

Yeah, polka bands can be fun, and I do get a kick out of accordion once in a while. Shhhh. Our Canadian King of Polka (or so I'm told) is Walter Ostanek. His wife is from Timmins so he's up here on occasion fundraising for the local Croatian Hall, doing weddings etc. I've seen him a couple of times. I do enjoy watching the older folks on the dance floor. There's a lightness in their step that keeps them going for hours, unlike myself.

Anyway, a bit of trivia for you: apparently the Polka category has been dropped by the Grammy Awards committee, just last year! So, enjoy that music while you still can! :D

Regarding that "sad" tune. Well, it was better described as nostalgic. You what it is, it's all that open space in there, room to take it personally. Besides, who among us has led such a charmed life that nostalgia conjures up pure ecstasy. ;)

Hey, it's Victoria Day up here, also known as May Run, and May Two-Four. Hmm, if I start now maybe I can put a dent in the case. Forget the coffee. :sick:

Good to see you back in the RR. :wave:

Recorded a video while rehearsing

Recorded in Logic with EW/QL piano

I enjoyed both. Just goes to show that whether it is a RED KB or a software program, an inspired performance cuts through regardless of the tool. :thu::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Thanks D. About the song - funny, I didn't feel sad at all when I played it.

It's possibly a mood accentuator - if somebody was bored and listened to it, it could be very boring, or if they just won the lottery, it might be perceived as joyous.

Who knows. :freak::) About the tools used though: True that playing will come through on any decent instrument, but I wouldn't have played the same way on a different piano sound.

It's possibly a mood accentuator

Haha, kind of like bottled music. Make it a double.

Sorry for wrongfully branding your piece, SK. Luckily I can't speak for the masses.

• 3 weeks later...

Nice, lush, dense voicings on that song, Dave. The chart didn't download for me for some reason. But I think I remember hearing that - if it was posted before, or if I dreamed it.

Can someone share a reharm done on the Privia PX-330? :-)
As long as reharming the Privia doesn't involve a shredder.

Can someone share a reharm done on the Privia PX-330?

:-)

This is a piece I posted here back in April; it was recorded on a PX-330 into Logic 9, then EQ'd/mastered within Logic Audio.(I experimented a bit with a 70's style vinyl, audio emulation). While this is not a familiar tune, it's my take on a obscure cover from the 70's, and was recorded using the Privia grand piano tone.

http://www.divshare.com/download/11022180-121

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Thanks Allan.

Do you own a PX-330? Thinking of getting one :-)

I don't understand the question. You looking for a reharm or a resale? ;)

Anyway, nice piece Allan and good dynamic control of the Privia. Always a pleasure to hear you play.

Dave F, I've got your tune in my library already, twice. Three times you're out. :D JUssst kidding. Nice work.

haha, in the spirit of being stupid, I submit a recording done a couple weeks ago by one of my 11 year olds. I suppose you could call this a reharm. She's keen on the concept of "learn a couple chords and you can play anything".

So here's Paitra. She sings, she plays. What can I say. :D Keep at it.

Thanks Allan.

Do you own a PX-330? Thinking of getting one :-)

I've owned a PX-330 for about eight months. IMO, it's very much worth the money. Works very well live - especially in tight stage situations. By USB connecting the Privia to my MacBook, then running the MacBook audio out to the keyboard's audio inputs, it creates a great, portable studio for software instrument/MIDI recording. Definitely saved the day this AM, as I had to do a remote session from a hotel room - due to my home space being 'out of commission' (for all the gory details, see my thread from earlier in the week: "OT: Meanwhile, Here In CO")

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

haha, in the spirit of being stupid, I submit a recording done a couple weeks ago by one of my 11 year olds. I suppose you could call this a reharm. She's keen on the concept of "learn a couple chords and you can play anything".

So here's Paitra. She sings, she plays. What can I say. :D Keep at it.

:thu: I agree: 'Keep at it', indeed. Thanks for sharing that, Sue. And thanks much for the comment, above, on my recording.

That's very kind of you, thanks Allan. Of course, my motive in recording her is that she'll recognize she needs to develop a more critical ear. Instead I may have created a monster. :)

Sorry to read that you're temporarily displaced! Hope that situation is resolved soon.

• 3 weeks later...

sk,

One of my favorite tunes. . . nice rendition by mr. mesterioso the band and you.

lb

Glad you enjoyed it, LB.

Here's a reharm sample of a really obscure ballad. I did it as a short first test for a virtual trio recording. (I lifted a couple bass lines I remember Marc Johnson played on this when we recorded it once.)

(Virtual trio tune removed, thanks a lot for listening and the input.)

Thanks man.

My headphones went out recently so I can't tell how well it's mixed.

So using the ears of the forum: Is the bass too loud? Sound muddy? Does the piano sound harsh, brittle?

I think it's probably close, but I can't tell. Thanks for any sonic opinions/feedback from anyone out there.

So it sounds alright? Maybe I'm learning to mix by guessing the highs and low frequencies.

Sounds fine. When the parts are well played and recorded properly, the mix almost takes care of itself. :thu::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"