Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Reharm Room

Thanks, Carlo. Tom was a pianist, composer/arranger/conductor based in Nashville. He was a mentor and good friend; unfortunately we lost him to heart failure last month. I'm thinking of trying to organize a collaboration CD of his music, pulling different friends together in the music community. He did have a quite a niche of fans here; so perhaps if a collection of fellow players would donate their arrangement of one of his pieces, we could produce a memorial CD - with a donation of the profits going to his family.

"Horizon/Storm" is an older recording of Tom's (originally done in 1981); basically it's out of print.

Reharmonization ? Some, not a lot though. Tom was heavily influenced by Paul Fetler - a diverse, yet progressive 20th century music composer- with whom he studied at the University of Minnesota. The m11 chord, quartal LH voicings, plus chromatic harmonic movement were all present in much of Tom's writing; some of it rather subtle, yet complex and sometimes challenging to hear. Often, I've thought a passage to be strictly a Perfect 4th based sequence of m11's, but it turned out to include a couple of chromatic leading substitution chords that were inverted. I picked up most of it, but a couple of chords/voicings are more my own interpretation. If I can find a copy of the piano recording of this piece, I'll post it.

I'll be posting another one of Tom's pieces here: a slower, more reflective piece. I'm definitely going to avoid the click on that, and do it as 'free playing', which will be a nice change after the effort put into the current piece.

I agree with you about the synthetic brightness of Pianoteq 2. I'm planning to check out version 3 soon.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I can find a copy of the piano recording of this piece, I'll post it.

I found this: http://listen.grooveshark.com/#/s/Horizon+Storm/1WUsvp

I can imagine how relentless that click must have felt! :) especially with 4 to the bar. I'd drop the click altogether and try to think in 1. Just cast the notes out (like fly fishing?) and let them spin. And it might feel more natural if you took it just a shade faster, like the original.

Nice piece, and I hope the project comes together! What a great way to honour a friend.

"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! " - BOPBEEPER

I was having a go at Goodbye Pork pie hat today...

http://www.divshare.com/download/10517514-9d4

Nothing too radical reharm wise, I tried to stick more or less to the basic harmony, I just elaborated on it a little

The solo section isn't really happening but I quite like the double diminished chords towards the end. Its a fantastic tune to play.

And, as a tribute to the all time master of reharm, Bill Evans, here is a bit of My Romance. You can't improve on perfection so I played pretty much its as close to Bills reharm as I could manage. The solo is a one take job so plenty of dodgy bits.

http://www.divshare.com/download/10517409-0e9

I just got a new piano, well I say new but it is actually 30 years old, Yamaha C5. How does it sound? (a bit out of tune at the very top I know, it hasnt been tuned yet).

Great job, Beeboss! The harmonies on Goodbye PPH are already so bizarre that it would have been unwise to mess with them too much. You got really inspired toward the end of the solo, a real treat to hear.

My romance is great too, although it's obviously an Evans impersonation rather than a reharm by yourself. In the solo you got even more Evansian... which is great to listen to anyway. :) Did you play the bass yourself?

I love Yamaha C5s. A studio close to my place got one recently, and I hope to record something there soon. I often record on a C3, and the difference is striking (I have a G2 at home to practice on). Judging from these recordings, yours sounds every bit as good.

Thanks Marino,

yes I do play some bass, although I don't play it much these days. Nobody wants electric bass, I can understand why.

I am so happy with my new piano, it such a joy to play after the awful ones I've had before. I guess it won't be long before I stop appreciating it and find some slight niggles that wind me up.

For my next reharm I'll do something with a bit more of me and a bit less Evansy, when I get round to it.

If I can find a copy of the piano recording of this piece, I'll post it.

I found this: http://listen.grooveshark.com/#/s/Horizon+Storm/1WUsvp

I can imagine how relentless that click must have felt! :) especially with 4 to the bar. I'd drop the click altogether and try to think in 1. Just cast the notes out (like fly fishing?) and let them spin. And it might feel more natural if you took it just a shade faster, like the original.

Nice piece, and I hope the project comes together! What a great way to honour a friend.

Thanks, Gangsu... I checked out the recording, and realized that I'd based my interpretation more on Tom's band recording of the piece - from his 1981 Album; "Danger In Loving You". The tempo is indeed up a bit on that recording, as well. When I visited Tom In Nashville in '06, he played "Horizon/Storm" at a restaurant piano gig. He played it in a somewhat rigid, slightly slower tempo, though the improv'd mid section flowed and soared; very silky, almost airborne. He asked me to open the next set, so I played one of my own pieces, then one of his slower, reflective ballads (I'm planning to post both on KC). The conversation after that set was intriguing. We talked about ways to keep 'wallpaper music' (as he referred to background, restaurant piano) entertaining - including keeping ourselves amused on the job. Tom also remarked that quarter note/173 was the tempo at which he'd been playing "Horizon/Storm". While I've played it at various tempos live, I ended up at 173 for the recording... followed the footsteps of the mentor on that one.

I liked the fly fishing analogy. I just started learning to do that; here in Colorado it's practically a religion. BTW: I highly recommend a listening of Patrick Leonard's piano CD: "Rivers". The pieces he wrote for the album are each based on a different location he visited during a lengthy fly fishing trip taken throughout the western US States. Fascinating listening.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

I liked the fly fishing analogy. I just started learning to do that; here in Colorado it's practically a religion. BTW: I highly recommend a listening of Patrick Leonard's piano CD: "Rivers". The pieces he wrote for the album are each based on a different location he visited during a lengthy fly fishing trip taken throughout the western US States. Fascinating listening.

How about that? Hah, an analogy I've never used before (and am not qualified to use) prompts an interesting and very gracious response. Thanks for that, I listened to a few clips of Rivers and I like it!

Hey I think "airborne" is a good place to take b minor. It's always felt a bit like hostile terrain to me. Uneven, like hiking in high heels. (album name?)

173 to the quarter note as specified by the composer. That's so specific it's not even on my metronome. :D Alright then.

Allan, nice to hear you finally, and thanks for posting the song. You play well - it's a piece with a lot of constant movement and forward momentum, so I would probably try to break the feel and go out of time at some point, explore some variations on the chords, and then improvise back into time.

David, the piano sounds wonderful, as does your playing. Strong, intentful (is that a word, it is now) playing on both. Some voicings in Romance sounded exactly like Bill Evans, and it was good to hear you stretch in a more standard jazz fashion. Porkpie Hat was excellent and as mentioned, especially inspired near the end.

Funny, I had a trio gig last week with a bass player who just moved here from California. He asked that we play My Romance, which I hadn't thought of in ages. I played it not that differently from you, except in a medium up tempo, and I decided to not play any chords on the head and phrase the melody very loosely. I knew he was expecting to hear me play Evanish chords, but it was more fun to play the voicings in my head. So now I like playing the tune again. :)

Thanks SK,

It's strange as I've never really enjoyed playing my romance before, its always been one of my 'oh no do we have to?' tunes, despite always having loved the Evans version. And then suddenly I felt like playing it. I've never played porkpiehat until this week either, I have always thought of it as being kind of sacred in an untouchable way. Its great to play though, what a tune.

And thanks Roger for your kind comments.

How about that? Hah, an analogy I've never used before (and am not qualified to use) prompts an interesting and very gracious response. Thanks for that, I listened to a few clips of Rivers and I like it!

Hey I think "airborne" is a good place to take b minor. It's always felt a bit like hostile terrain to me. Uneven, like hiking in high heels. (album name?)

173 to the quarter note as specified by the composer. That's so specific it's not even on my metronome. :D Alright then.

gangsu: b minor is not a key I lean toward either. The 'hiking in high heels' analogy is quite appropriate; the two sharps in the natural minor do tend to make things a bit uneven. How about: "Hiking In High Heels", subtitled 'Explorations In The Terrain Of b minor'... Then again, there is this haunting Chopin prelude in b minor that I analyzed a couple of months ago, wrote a rough leadsheet with the changes, and am considering reharmonizing and recording. That's one I played back in college, and have wanted to re-visit.

173, thanks(?)to Logic Pro, can be dialed in (unlike my old Seth Thomas metronome). It seems, though, to have been re-specified in '06 by the composer - as the more I listen to the original piano recording, the more I like the idea of playing it a shade faster, too. Also, Steve's idea about breaking the feel and going out of time with the improv section intrigues me. BTW - Thanks for the listen, and kind words, Steve ! Looks like a another recording/interpretation of "H/S" will be happening. I may just wait a bit, put aside some $$, and book some time with the Yamaha C7 in the studio a few miles from me.

You're absolutely welcome, Allan, and nice to have you in the reharm "room."

Suggesting going out of time on that song is just my idea as an improvisor... the main thing I think of when I play is what is needed, not what's already supplied. Once a constant rhythm or time has been established and covered and has nowhere else to go, I look for something else to do.

Beeboss, I know the feeling of not wanting to do a standard that's been associated with Evans and played to death by others. The tune to me like that was "My Foolish Heart", the Village Vanguard version with Scott LaFaro. Pure early Evans at his most sublime. After I heard it in my 20's, whenever I played that song, I would think of Evans first and the song second.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All -

I had a chance, last week, to re-record Horizon Storm. One of the locations at which I teach has a Roland FP-7C, so I took advantage of a student cancellation break and knocked this version out. The FP-7C has a built in recorder, though I did not use the click. I took several of the suggestions from my previous recording and tried them: quicker tempo, a bit more improv'd middle section w/some 'out of time' moments, a little reharmonizing from the original.

Upon immediate playback, I noticed that the FP-7C had a much 'stronger' velocity 'response'; some of the ff moments went 'off the map', so to speak. So, I tracked a MIDI recording from the FP-7C into Logic, non-quantized, took it home and got to work on it. In my workspace, I played the MIDI file into Pianoteq 3 (via my Muse Receptor) and noticed some immediate differences and improvements. While there were still a few MIDI tweaks to be done, the velocity trims on the ff parts were far less extensive than if I kept the project on the FP-7C. Other than three small timing tweaks, then mastering in Logic 9 audio, I was done.

Again, any and all criticisms, suggestions, etc. are more than welcome. Thanks for taking the time to listen...

BTW: I left this one as an aif file in DivShare, vs. the mp3 version I posted previously.

http://www.divshare.com/download/10692319-2be

Nicely played, Allan! Moves along in an unhurried, sure way and your own reflections open up seamlessly. Vast improvement in the piano tone too, not as strident. Well done.

Thanks, Sue ! I just started working on interpreting the ballad I'd mentioned earlier; then I think that will be it for the Tom Howard pieces, for now. I want to move on to the "...Terrain Of B minor"

• 1 month later...

Here's the Tom Howard ballad I'd previously mentioned. He recorded the piece in 1976: a rather reflective ballad with vocals, which he had written shortly after moving to L.A. in the mid 70's. I learned this one back in the late 70's, and have been mixing it in with standards during solo piano gigs. I've changed up the tempo a bit, simplified some chords/voicings, embellished others. I've also used it, on a few occasions, for church prelude/reflective music, especially in contemporary settings.

As always, comments/suggestions from the group are more than welcome. Thanks...

"She Likes To Look At Pictures": http://www.divshare.com/download/11022180-121

• 1 month later...

Nice loose playing there, fjzingo, and thanks for all your generous contributions, Allan. I haven't visited "The Room" in a while.

I wanted to do a little tribute tune to Hank Jones, attempting his broad, elegant style. Instead, I just went with a simple ballad, as a general tribute to HJ, Bill Evans, T. Flanagan, etc. - i.e., the great stylists.

Recorded in Logic with EW/QL piano.

http://www.divshare.com/download/11492693-ab0

I think very, very, very few people would think that was a sampled instrument if you didn't tell them. Brilliantly played, and the control of the timbre is really amazing, but so natural.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Appreciate the comments... I played it from memory of hearing the song ages ago on an old Bill Evans album with Jeremy Steig on flute. I haven't heard it in years (I don't recall it from "Conversation With Myself") but I hope (and 'think') I played it correctly.

The keyboard I used is worn, so some of the notes rang out louder than I played them. Divshare seems to compress the track some, so the original has better tone and presence.

About the tune: it was written for the 60's movie "Spartacus" which had a great score by composer Alex North.

And the melody stands by itself, so I didn't want to play "too much" on it.

Beautiful and atmospheric SK!

The NY times obit on Hank had a story about him and Larry Bluth was telling me about it. Apparently after years of highend gigs Hank hand plenty of dough in the bank but choose to live in a 12 x 12 room with a bed, small kitchen and a digital piano when he passed as told by his next door neighbor who helped clean out the apartment. He would ask Hank to go out with him for the day or evening and Hank would mostly say he really just wanted to stay home and play/practice. Larry and I felt he went out his own way, playing his last days, with a rapture, kind of like your piece SK.

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

Larry and I felt he went out his own way, playing his last days, with a rapture, kind of like your piece SK.

Just wanted to quote you, LB. That's a beautiful thought.

I can't listen to this without feeling unbearably sad. What did you put in there, SK?? Between yourself and LB, I"m dying over here.

Well, it's more than the clever use of a fine piece of software, that's for sure!

You seriously rock my musical world, all of you.

Seriously, Steve, you should mail a link to EastWest and have them listen to it. I'd be very surprised if they do not want you to do some demos for them! (And perhaps they'd want to endorse you as well).

local: Korg Nautilus 73 | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

Beautifully rendered, Steve. Sets a mood that's a bit haunting, nostalgic. Loved the dynamics, and ebb and flow of your interpretation...

Thanks again to all. Legatoboy, I agree with your impression of Hank's final days.

Zeph, I will think about your suggestion, thanks.

What did you put in there, SK??
:grin:

No, honestly Sue, I didn't spike it, nor was I trying to give new meaning to bringing the house down. (Then again, the Spartacus story wasn't exactly Disneyesque.) The tune should have a warning of side effects.

Then here's a palette cleanser -

http://www.divshare.com/download/11323954-702 - a jive boogaloo "party" version of the song called ":wave:". Tried to make the piano sound like an upright for the "gig" atmosphere.