Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

All the things you are - I will survive

zephonic

I just realized why I don't like playing "All the things you are". It reminds me of "I will survive", the song I absolutely despise the most!

Never liked "Stella by Starlight" either, although I have not yet figured which horrible pop song it reminds me of...

local: Korg Nautilus 73 | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Huh, I never made that link before. They are both diatonic cycles, although I Will Survive is a pure diatonic cycle and All The Things changes key centres.

All the Things: Fm-Bbm-Eb7-Ab-Dm7-G7-C (vi-ii-V7-I-ii-V7-I)

I Will Survive: Am-Dm7-G7-C-F-Bm7b5-E7 (vi-ii-V7-I-IV-vii/ii-V7)

The things you learn!

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

I just realized why I don't like playing "All the things you are". It reminds me of "I will survive", the song I absolutely despise the most!

Never liked "Stella by Starlight" either, although I have not yet figured which horrible pop song it reminds me of...

You can't spell Gloria Gaynor without "gay" -- not that there's anything wrong with that. That song is an anthem for women and gay men it appears. Maybe that's why you don't like it? I don't particularly like it, but it wasn't written for me.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

Huh, I never made that link before. They are both diatonic cycles, although I Will Survive is a pure diatonic cycle and All The Things changes key centres.

All the Things: Fm-Bbm-Eb7-Ab-Dm7-G7-C (vi-ii-V7-I-ii-V7-I)

I Will Survive: Am-Dm7-G7-C-F-Bm7b5-E7 (vi-ii-V7-I-IV-vii/ii-V7)

The things you learn!

That makes sense. I guess it's been a while since I heard "I Will Survive." The way I hear it in my head doesn't really sound like "All the Things You Are" at all. I might be super-imposing harmony from some other annoying disco song.

And, of course, now the song is going to be stuck in my head all day.

I was just thinking about how you can't spell dogma without dog, and you can't spell karma without car.

Whoops, better think about that last one a bit.

:D

You want KARMA, Dan? I got yer karma right here. :)

I'm not a big fan of "I Will Survive". And, I have to admit, I was pleased when the Disco era came to a close.

But something else troubles me here.

As far as I'm concerned, if you tack on "Not that there's anything wrong with that." to an otherwise homophobic sentence, it tells me that you really don't care to understand the issues of certain large groups within our society (gays). And if you say that this song is an anthem to women, which it may very well be, well... so what? Is that really a big deal? I mean, I'm OK with women having their own anthem. If it makes them happy, then why not?

It has always been helpful for me to try very hard to keep an open mind to new ideas, especially when it comes to all things musical. This includes musicians, their lifestyles, and music that may be hard for me to relate.

I am a middle-aged white man. It's not easy for me to understand Rap and Hip-Hop. However, if other folks find that it soothes their soul, and they dig it, then who am I to say it's wrong?

If I'm not ready to make the effort to understand why this music is meaningful to someone else, I just turn the channel on my radio.

No big deal.

I figure that I don't have to understand it in order to let someone else enjoy it.

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

I think "I'm Every Woman" is a much more flamboyant gay man's anthem than "I Will Survive", but that is kind of like splitting hairs.

I got the "Seinfeld" reference to the comment "Not that there's anything wrong with that."

That is as much a part of pop culture to say that as "yada, yada, yada" or "master of your domain" or "no soup for you!"

Watch more Seinfeld, ITGITC

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

Yeah.

I love Seinfeld.

I know where the reference came.

I just don't much care for how it was packaged here.

Nevertheless, I forgive those who can't help themselves. :)

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Also, as a straight man, I must also go on the record to say one of my all time favorite "South Park" characters is definitely "Big Gay Al"... loved his Big Gay Boat Ride. :-)

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

It has always been helpful for me to try very hard to keep an open mind to new ideas, especially when it comes to all things musical. This includes musicians, their lifestyles, and music that may be hard for me to relate.

I am a middle-aged white man.

Tom

ITGITC ... would mind holding my MAN purse? :D

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

As far as I'm concerned, if you tack on "Not that there's anything wrong with that." to an otherwise homophobic sentence, it tells me that you really don't care to understand the issues of certain large groups within our society (gays).

If I'm not ready to make the effort to understand why this music is meaningful to someone else, I just turn the channel on my radio.

No big deal.

I figure that I don't have to understand it in order to let someone else enjoy it.

Tom

Amen. :thu:

Most tunes within every genre of music have a similar harmonic foundation. The trick on the ears lies in the surrounding elements i.e. rhythm, instrumentation, vocals, recording, etc.

Disco producers and musicians took their musical knowledge and repackaged it for the vibe of Club 54.

While I'm not a Disco fan, I have found musical elements within it that were happening. Check out B-side tunes by Taste of Honey, Chic, Emotions, etc.

Knowing "I Will Survive" is harmonically similar to "All the Things You Are", don't be afraid to do a little Hip-Hop Remix on the next gig. :D

Disclaimer:

I know that some of our esteemed forum members have Disco battle scars. If this thread causes any flashbacks, head down to your local YMCA for a workout. :laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

ITGITC ... would mind holding my MAN purse? :D

Not at all - if it's attached to your lady-friend. :eek::love:

Yeah.

Dude, you are sooooooo lucky. :)

Good on ya.

Yeay, it's got to be the II-V-II-V thing that annoys me.

I will survive is more closely related to Fly me to the moon.

...and I absolutely loathe that song too.

And uh...where did the whole "gay" thing come from???

I will survive is more closely related to Fly me to the moon. The synth solo to Led Zeppelin's All Of My Love works brilliantly over either.

That's funny. I'll have to try that the next time I feel gay.

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

Not all disco was created equal. Chic is impossibly funky, with grooves that but a few can emulate. As with Kool & The Gang, GQ etc.

I think your karma ran over my dogma.

:laugh: I love how these threads drift OT sometimes.

My bad.

I apologize for that.

I guess I'm just a dogma lover and I hate it when I have to wash off the goey KARMA. :rolleyes:

Yeah.

I love Seinfeld.

I know where the reference came.

I just don't much care for how it was packaged here.

Nevertheless, I forgive those who can't help themselves. :)

Oh Tom, relax. I wasn't making fun of gay people. I was just using a Seinfeld reference as a way to point out that I Will Survive is mostly enjoyed by women and gay men. That's not an untrue statement, and it isn't a putdown in any way. Lyrics do have something to do with the appeal of a song, and most heterosexual men don't identify with I Will Survive at all. I'm probably one of the most liberal people you've ever met, and I support the rights of gay people and their lifestyles to the nth degree.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

Archived