Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

G.A.S. Laws...

C.J. Lewis

Well, we've cleaned up from breakfast and the kids are making pies with Mommy. My parents are calling my siblings, so I figured I'd heighten the kids' anticipation of opening their Mt. Everest of gifts under the tree from everyone and disappear for a minute. I was reading Musicworkz' post, and this stuck out at me:

"The First Law of G.A.S. states "more is better..."

So, we have the 1st law...what's next?

LAWS OF G.A.S.

1. More is better. - Musicworkz

2. ?

3. ?

4. ?

5. ?

An interesting list concept for this season... :D

ivorycj

Main stuff: Yamaha CP88 | Korg Kronos 2 73 | Kurzweil Forte 7 | 1898 Steinway I

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Re-sale value is irrelevant.

Low resale value is a benefit because it justifies keeping it. Whatever you sell it for, six months from then you will have a use for it that is of greater value than whatever the selling price is.

Low resale value is a benefit because it justifies keeping it. Whatever you sell it for, six months from then you will have a use for it that is of greater value than whatever the selling price is.

:D:D:D

Here for the gear.

Rules of Gas:

1. More is better

2. There's no such a thing as too many keyboards.

3. Re-Sale Value is irrelevant.

4. There is no such thing as a KB that costs too much. If you can afford it, and you want it, BUY IT.

5. If your SO (significant other) objects to GAS, get a divorce. It's not cheaper, but its better in the long run. If you have children, they will understand and come with you. (Yeah, and leave that cheap-ass spouse of yours behind!)

Ho HO Ho,

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

If your Significant Other objects to more hardware purchases then it's time to purchase a DAW, soft synths, and mult-gigabyte libraries.

You can sink a year's worth of mortgage payments onto a well-stocked 500 gig drive. It's easy to move with you and hide from the divorce lawyer when foreclosure looms. When installing and naming the drive volume name it SigOther and marry it in a closed ceremony.

In order for this to work use download options only. Leave no messy disks or boxes around.

Quote by IvoryCJ:

"Good stuff - it sounds like you guys are speaking from experience (MikeT156?)"

Pretty much, but of course I re-quoted Musicworkz for #1 and my buddy ProfD for #3.

Now #5, my personal experience with my SO was this.....my last girlfriend and me were talking about her and her two boys "moving in" with me. So she "suggested" I "clean out the stuff in the front room and we would pick out a bed room set for her boys. Twin beds." Of course, the "front room" is my music room. The more I thought about it the less I was liking the idea, of her two boys anyway. Both of them I could guarantee would be in state prison in less than 5 years. So I dumped the girl, my music room is the way it has always been. Life is about priorities. :/

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Ivory, I'd be REAL careful not to piss her off.

Mike T.

1st Law of G.A.S. Thermodynamics:

When there is too much G.A.S. in a confined space (You), and it has nowhere to go, it can turn into a hideous case of F.A.R.T. or Fear of Art syndrome.

Curiously, sometimes aquiring the very gear lusted after may set this very condition off for some strange reason (how weird).

Research is still being done on these two crippling diseases.

Tony Campo :D

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

Well, we've cleaned up from breakfast and the kids are making pies with Mommy. My parents are calling my siblings, so I figured I'd heighten the kids' anticipation of opening their Mt. Everest of gifts under the tree from everyone and disappear for a minute. I was reading Musicworkz' post, and this stuck out at me:

"The First Law of G.A.S. states "more is better..."

So, we have the 1st law...what's next?

LAWS OF G.A.S.

1. More is better. - Musicworkz

2. ?

3. ?

4. ?

5. ?

An interesting list concept for this season... :D

This should be a good one Ivory :thu:... A few more to add:

-Once in motion, G.A.S. stays in motion. This rule is MAY be negated at times by the following corollary:

-For every G.A.S. action, there is an equal and opposite D.I.P. (domestic investment purchase) into the reserves (read "bank account" for those with SO's).

-All G.A.S. has an upper $$$ limit, but a negligible lower $ limit. Most often experienced during closeout/blowout sales for those "it was so cheap, it would have been a sin to leave it there" items.

-G.A.S. does not decrease with age, only your resistance to it.

Yamaha (Motif XS7, Motif 6, TX81Z), Korg (R3, Triton-R), Roland (XP-30, D-50, Juno 6, P-330). Novation A Station, Arturia Analog Experience Factory 32

I've experienced this before. I sold my first keyboard (Roland Juno-6) in college to another guy in the dorm. It took about six months of me wishing I didn't sell it in the first place. I bought it back even though he made $100 on the deal.

I STILL own it AND use it and I've never sold another piece of gear I've bought, no matter how much I am NOT using it anymore.

Cue Daffy Duck, "mine Mine MINE!!!"

Yamaha (Motif XS7, Motif 6, TX81Z), Korg (R3, Triton-R), Roland (XP-30, D-50, Juno 6, P-330). Novation A Station, Arturia Analog Experience Factory 32

Archived