Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A list of the "Must know" rock keyboard songs

payperclick

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
To Kanker.

For some reason I can't see what you posted. Very odd. Please repost.

Busch.

He posted "Chest Fever".

(glad to be of service.) ;)

Oh Brutha :rolleyes:

:rawk::D

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

P.S. J. Geils to me is a must. Give It To Me, Centerfold, Freeze Frame, Must Of Got Lost, etc, all the good stuff. And, hey why do they play Sweet Home Alabama for KFC?!

If you are going to go down the J. Giels path I would recommend First I Look At The Purse and Hard Drivin Man. Seth Justman did some nice B3 stuff on these.

For keyboard classic rock you have to learn the riff to Gimme Some Loving...

Steve

A Lifetime of Peace, Love and Protest Music

www.rock-xtreme.com

To Kanker.

For some reason I can't see what you posted. Very odd. Please repost.

Busch.

He posted "Chest Fever".

(glad to be of service.) ;)

OK "Chest Fever." Got it. I was think of "Muskrat Love" myself. It's got one bitching Clavinet part. A must learn in my book.

Muskrat Love

Ahhh Tennille.

Busch.

OK "Chest Fever." Got it. I was think of "Muskrat Love" myself. It's got one bitching Clavinet part. A must learn in my book.

Muskrat Love

Ahhh Tennille.

Busch.

Wow, everybody's becomming Bad Santa.

I'm so glad it's contagious. :evil:

OK. How many of you clicked on that link, but also watched another Captain & Tennille video?

C'mon... I know ya did. :D

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

I want a cap like the Cap'n.

Goofy songs aside, back in the day, Toni Tennille was so hot, you had to keep your cap in your lap.

I'm feeling a little bad santa coming on today.

Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. W. C. Fields

Goofy songs aside, back in the day, Toni Tennille was so hot, you had to keep your cap in your lap.

Which is why I need a cap like the cap'ns..

This is starting to sound like Doctor Suess.

Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. W. C. Fields

Which is why I need a cap like the cap'ns..

Sounds like you got a little Cap'n in you!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/1/1a/Captain_morgan.gif/180px-Captain_morgan.gif

Aside from Happy Birthday, there are no such "must learn" songs. If there is such a list, it should be immediately destroyed because it only means that those songs have been played way too many times.

The only important thing is to learn how to play your instrument well. If you do so, when the time comes to play with a band, you can learn the necessary tunes and will be able to do so relatively quickly (at least in the rock genre where most songs are not that terribly difficult).

I agree with you in theory here. I was assuming that people learning the songs in my list already knew how to play and were capable of learning to play anything. So, good point about just being able to play whatever is required. Still though, there are some definite crowd pleasers, and songs get requested, so it's good on ocassion to just pull out a song that you weren't planning to play. I don't think it's a bad idea to have some of the oft-requested songs in your hip pocket.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

I have a couple of suggestions for "must learn" keyboard songs:

1. Long Time - Boston

2. Wayward Son - Kansas

Why? Bands generally don't do either of these songs because the keyboard parts are extremely difficult and any bands that DO do either/both of these usually have "adjusted" the parts to fit the ability of the keyboardist--if they even have one!

Kurzweil PC4-7

Kurzweil Artis 7

Alto TS312 Powered Speakers (2)

Samson 6 channel mixer

I once heard someone contend that "Foreplay" by Boston is the keyboard counterpart to "Eruption" by Van Halen. Not sure if this is true, but I'll run with it nonetheless.

I always thought Eruption was the guitar counterpart to Del Shannon's "Runaway". (Max Crook sure could play!)

Or more so Edgar Winter's Frankenstein.

For essential "keyboard" rock n' roll, you gotta start from the beginning.

The Happy Organ

Runaway

Green Onions

etc...

The only important thing is to learn how to play your instrument well.

... no, the only important thing is to impress the girls, Dad.

Ouch. :eek::laugh:

Kad,

The organ part is not a problem, I'm just not there on the yodeling yet. That's why I always work with female vocalists.

Jeff

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

I have a couple of suggestions for "must learn" keyboard songs:

1. Long Time - Boston

2. Wayward Son - Kansas

Why? Bands generally don't do either of these songs because the keyboard parts are extremely difficult and any bands that DO do either/both of these usually have "adjusted" the parts to fit the ability of the keyboardist--if they even have one!

My band played both...we had a really great keyboard player. :thu:

Along with ELP's Karn Evil 9 (which really was a crowd pleaser) we played Green Eyed Lady by Sugarloaf. That was a fun tune to play.

A Jazz/Chord Melody Master-my former instructor www.robertconti.com

(FKA GuitarPlayerSoCal)

Archived