Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A list of the "Must know" rock keyboard songs

payperclick

I am somewhat new to keyboard playing and would like to build up a repertoire of some essential all around rock songs that most contemporary keyboard players would find themselves playing frequently in gig and jamming situations. Songs like Gimme some lovin, superstition, born to be wild, hard to handle, highway star, roadhouse blues etc. I have tried to google this type of thing without much success. If someone knows of such a list in existence like "the 100 greatest rock keyboard songs of all time" or similar please let me know. If not, than perhaps it would be beneficial to get some opinions. I am thinking along the lines of rock songs that are primarily centered around traditional classic keyboard sounds like organ, piano (ep), clav.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the reply it is a good suggestion

I have looked at several music books and have a few myself but it seems most are watered down and omit some of the most poular and obvious tunes because of copyright restrictions or copyright costs. Each book seems to throw a few decent bones and than the rest of the tunes are kinda lame or are too eclectic. I was hoping to get more real world expereinced feedback without the political or economic bias that a publisher might face. Maybe I haven't found the right book yet.

I once heard someone contend that "Foreplay" by Boston is the keyboard counterpart to "Eruption" by Van Halen. Not sure if this is true, but I'll run with it nonetheless.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

I once heard someone contend that "Foreplay" by Boston is the keyboard counterpart to "Eruption" by Van Halen. Not sure if this is true, but I'll run with it nonetheless.

Well, at least you've got them in the correct order.... :D

"Oh yeah, I've got two hands here." (Viv Savage)

"Mr. Blu... Mr. Blutarsky: Zero POINT zero." (Dean Vernon Wormer)

Speaking of that KFC commercial - is it just on the commercial (or on the original recording too) that the chick background "na na na na nas" right after that piano fill sound like they are gargling or running thru a leslie or blender or something?

That makes the commercial unbearable for me. I think it's similar on the real version, but not as horrible.

Personally, I find the live "One More From the Road" version hysterical. You can really hear the female backup singers, and you don't want to! It sounds like at least one of them thinks she's in an opera, and then they go "ALABAYMA!!" :crazy:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

You absolutely must learn these staples and then rush out to your local Guitar Center to play them (preferably at a loud enough volume for everyone in the store to hear):

The Final Countdown by Europe

Jump by Van Halen

Axel F by Harold Faltermeyer

:thu:

Noah

You absolutely must learn these staples and then rush out to your local Guitar Center to play them (preferably at a loud enough volume for everyone in the store to hear):

The Final Countdown by Europe

Jump by Van Halen

Axel F by Harold Faltermeyer

:thu:

Noah

Remember when "Lean On Me" was the first thing any kid who ever had access to a piano would pound out upon entering a music store?

"Oh yeah, I've got two hands here." (Viv Savage)

"Mr. Blu... Mr. Blutarsky: Zero POINT zero." (Dean Vernon Wormer)

I know some of these are duplicates, but every rock keyboard player should know (even if you don't play them frequently) the following:

Sweet Home Alabama

Riders On The Storm

I Shot The Sheriff

Jump

Feelin' Alright

Walk of Life (Dire Straits)

Hey Jude

Let It Be

Black Magic Woman

Evil Ways

Oye Como va

Johnny B Goode

Easy (Commodores)

Lazy (Deep Purple)

Takin' It To The Streets

Levon

Your Song

Benny and the Jets

Rocketman

Don't Stop Believin'

Lights

Faithfully

Carry On My Wayward Son

All My Love (Led Zeppelin)

Mustang Sally (and play it with the 9th in there brother!)

Free Bird

Born To Be Wild

Magic Carpet Ride

Maybe I'm Amazed

You Can't Always Get What You Want (Choir sound and piano)

While You See A Chance

Superstition

Green Eyed Lady

Eminence Front

White Room

That's a good start.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

Aside from Happy Birthday, there are no such "must learn" songs. If there is such a list, it should be immediately destroyed because it only means that those songs have been played way too many times.

The only important thing is to learn how to play your instrument well. If you do so, when the time comes to play with a band, you can learn the necessary tunes and will be able to do so relatively quickly (at least in the rock genre where most songs are not that terribly difficult).

If there is such a list, it should be immediately destroyed because it only means that those songs have been played way too many times.

Yup. Right on the money, as usual, Mr. Garrafon. They dint give ya that advanced degree for nuttin'... honey. :love:

After that longish list was posted, I went looking for the "This Makes Me Wanna Throw Up" icon.

...couldn't find it. :rolleyes:

I'd apologize for that.

But I'm not gonna. :evil:

:D

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Chest Fever

OK. I about said something after two posts. But now you're starting to become obnoxious.

Did you take your meds today, Mr. Kanker? :sick: :sick:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

I submitted an inquiry to the International Guild of Keyboard Players concerning Chest Fever in relation to the top 100 songs ever person who plays a keyed instrument must know. Unfortunately, Chest Fever came in a close 101 - sorry, didn't make the list. So, all the rest of you can breath a sigh of relief that you need not worry memorizing that song for your next gig.

However, since Muskrat Love did squeek in at #100, everyone who does not yet know that song should immediately log out of KC and learn it....NOW....HURRY...TIME'S A WASTIN!!!!

Archived