Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Folding Keyboard Redux

richwhite9

They've made some design changes and updated their site since I last looked. It looks like they will support mapping (and prominently picture Receptor maps). The pitch wheel is going have some critics--actually it has to be seen. I'm not sure I'm ready for side mounted wheels but I guess it work OK in most stands :). Damn good thing it's not 88 keys. I'd never reach it.

Disclaimer: I have no interest in the company but find its ongoing development efforts (and the decision to more readily share design decisions and work in process via the web) to be of interest.

www.infiniteresponse.com

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't see the page because it demands an installation of the latest Adobe Flash Player, and I refuse to do that on my work computer. Maybe I'll take a look later tonight at home.

As for the product name, I was intrigued from the start, having worked for Digital Equipment Corporation for ten years during the 80's :-). I'm glad to see that branding continue in a different form, even if it was unintentional (and I'm not sure it was!).

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I think I misunderstood something the previous times I looked at the site. It appears you have to order it with a specific key weight. I was under the impression it was somehow adjustable. Still, being able to choose from six different weights is a lot better than the "take it or leave it" we have today.

The setup demo is impressive as is the picture of it laying on the front seat.

Busch.

The more I see/read about this thing the more I like it. I intend to keep my eyes peeled for more news in the weeks ahead. They're planning to demo it in some major US cities, so maybe I can line up that trip to L.A. I've been planning with a demo date.

BTW does anyone know offhand what some typical keyboard weights are?

Here for the gear.

I want one to put on top of my XK-3c System, if it will give good piano sounds, and maybe a Rhodes sound too. Any idea of the patches being used yet and if we will be able to add others?

XKDave

I like many things about it. 25 lbs.... wow. Small size. Poly AT. I won't buy one without trying the action first, though.

What I don't like:

- There's no way I could use that ridiculous wheel. And where's modulation?

- $2450?!?

I want one to put on top of my XK-3c System, if it will give good piano sounds, and maybe a Rhodes sound too. Any idea of the patches being used yet and if we will be able to add others?

Dave - it's a controller. No onboard sounds.

Edit: Ooops. Moe - you beat me by a few minutes.

And Tony too! :D

The side wheel is something to get used to, but I think that it has some good point in how the arm can rest...the bad thing could be for a kid or a little sized player who will have maybe some more trouble to pitch bend the highest octave notes. I'm in doubt also if it can be a problem for when the unit is closed, if the wheel is recessed or not.

Guess the Amp

.... now it's finished...

Here it is!

I've always preferred wheels to sticks/ribbons, so a wheel works for me, actually on the side may give a more physical aspect to gripping the end of the keyboard and bending a note - more like a guitar feels.

Perhaps modulation is an inward pressure on the wheel?

Here for the gear.

I thought one of the other wheels did modulation, which would mean that pitch bend is way far away from it.

This is silly, and one of those issues that they shouldn't have tried to reinvent.

Much better would have been a panel that you could swap out with your choice of pitch and mod devices - minimoog wheels, oberheim/chroma paddles, roland side wheel, even nord stick.

And it should have a long ribbon controller ala CS-80.

Moe

---

BTW does anyone know offhand what some typical keyboard weights are?

Drawback,

There was an extensive thread about keyboard weights that featured numerous Forumites stacking coins on various keyboards, both electric and acoustic, and reporting the weights for various actions. It was an amusing thread. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to fool around with the Search feature to give you a link, but it helped to quantify keyboard feel by using actual weight measurements.

Regards,

Joe

:thu: Thanks.

Okay I've searched. Anyone know comparitive weights of different key beds or have this saved anywhere? Like, how heavy is the action on let's say, an Electro, vs the action on let's say a Yamaha P series or Roland FP series?

Here for the gear.

I thought one of the other wheels did modulation, which would mean that pitch bend is way far away from it.

I made an assumption... couldn't find any info on where the modulation would be controlled from, either way.

Here for the gear.

:thu: Thanks.

Okay I've searched. Anyone know comparitive weights of different key beds or have this saved anywhere? Like, how heavy is the action on let's say, an Electro, vs the action on let's say a Yamaha P series or Roland FP series?

Drawback,

I was able to successfully negotiate the twisted logic of the Search Feature and found the thread:

Key Weight Comparison Thread

Regards,

Joe

- $2450?!?
If it plays like a dream and is as expressive as their advertising suggests, wouldn't that price seem a bargain?

For whom currency is not an issue, maybe.

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

Montage M7, MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XS Rack, PolyEvolver, Voyager, Cobalt 8X, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

This is silly, and one of those issues that they shouldn't have tried to reinvent.

Absolutely. Among other things, that means that you can't use pitch bending and modulation at the same time. A step backward compared to most other systems.

And, when I'm pitchbending and I don't need modulation at the same time, I use my thumb on the pitch wheel; it gives me great precision. If the wheel is placed sideways, there's no way to do it.

Much better would have been a panel that you could swap out with your choice of pitch and mod devices - minimoog wheels, oberheim/chroma paddles, roland side wheel, even nord stick.

Experienced keyboardists have been talking about this for decades. There could be a standard-size plate containing wheels, or stick, or whatever, so that swapping them would be easy. Why there isn't a single company offering it? (copyright issues, I'm afraid)

And it should have a long ribbon controller ala CS-80.

Or a la Kurzweil.... amen.

I haven't seen anything implying modulation is from another location.

What if you could do both functions on one wheel? Up/down for pitch, in for mod. If the tensions were strong, I think it would be great. Bend a note, push in for degrees of vibrato.

Here for the gear.

I haven't seen anything implying modulation is from another location.

What if you could do both functions on one wheel? Up/down for pitch, in for mod. If the tensions were strong, I think it would be great. Bend a note, push in for degrees of vibrato.

Nah. The roland wheel works that way now - bend left/right for pitch, push forward for adding mod. It is uncontrollable, and causes your pitch position to shift.

As to the mod wheel, I remember their old site saying that the left hand wheel on top could be clicked and then it would turn into a mod wheel. Their new site, while better organized, actually has less info on it than it did before.

Moe

---

You're right, but they've made some in-development changes already and seem to be interested in fulfilling wish lists. Some revolutionary ideas are in play here! I guess we'll have to wait and see what comes out of this.

Here for the gear.

- $2450?!?
If it plays like a dream and is as expressive as their advertising suggests, wouldn't that price seem a bargain?

That was the price of a new MIDIBoard back in the day.....if it is everything they claim it is, I think it would be worth it. Personally, I would also like to see a non-folding 76 and 88 key version for the studio. But could you imagine gigging with this keyboard and a laptop?

I would have a concern about the folding point. The design would have to be just right, and quality control would have to be perfect to make sure the gap between the B and C is equal to the gaps between the other keys. If it were slightly wider it would make me crazy -- too narrow and it could actually cause playablity problems. And even if it were made perfectly, what if the hinges or other stress points shift slightly after years of use?

I would have a concern about the folding point.

A valid concern. But check out the Setup Demo on their website, it does appear that the hinges are pretty robust and the locking mechanism fairly solid. I will still want to definitely check one out carefully first.

Archived